Sky card clones?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
tony.mon

Sky card clones?

Post by tony.mon »

I have two Sky Plus boxes, one High Def, and I've just plumbed in a third box, basic stylee.
It only needs to get Eurosport, but thieving scumbags Sky want yet another multiroom subscription.
Does anyone know where I can get a cloned card that will get me this channel?
Obviously it isn't going to be connected to a phone line....

Yes, I can get it on my laptop via Eurosport feed via the Sky website, but it's low quality due to crappy local internet speeds, keeps stopping to buffer and that's on low res.

Discretion assured, natch.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Re: Sky card clones?

Post by Miztaziggy »

Sorry to report, but Sky have you bent over a barrel with your pants around your ankles and strap on all lubed up
It isnt possible to clone a card, apparently...

You can however buy one of those boxes you plug into a sky box and then have the remote boxes that play all from the one box. Its like a server box goes on your 1 sky box, then you can have as many of these other client boxes on different TVs.

Tbh im surprised that no one has come up with a hack for it yet. They hacked the playstation 3 now, they hack every version of Windows before it is released, they hack every possible game protection ever released or DVD/Blu ray encryption etc....but no one can crack Sky when it costs so much money?
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

The Sky encryption is actually very very tough to break, but there is a way round it, but it does get a bit involved.

The basic idea is that you have a "box", basically a small PC which runs Linux and accepts the Sky smart card. This is your crypto key server.

Next you have all the "set top boxes", these are small PCs with HDMI (or whatever output you want for your TV) and a satellite tuner card. Each of these "set top boxes" is connected via a network to the crypto server box.

Now, here's what happens, every few seconds the Sky signal changes the encryption. The changes follow an algorithm which is programmed into the Sky Smart card, so your "set top boxes" ask the crypto box to provide the new key to the data stream, which having a working Sky card, it does. Each "set top box" does this.

There's no technical reason you can't have slightly beefier machines as a "set top box" with a hard drive, then you could record programs too, but it depends if the linux geeks have added that functionality.

There are services out there in the darker corner of 'tinternet which run the crypto server and card and charge a fee to others for access to it. They then don't need a sky card, but you do need a good internet connection for the crypto key lookup to remain fast enough to keep up. Some crypto servers are a bit overloaded and this caused picture breakup when the decryption key reply is too slow.

I did know the generic name for this kind of trickery, but right now it escapes me.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Watched a program a couple weeks ago about this; it seems very naughty and so I'm happy enough to just carry my Sky card upstairs to watch the racing there if I need to.
The wife can watch something off the planner.

Thanks for responses, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Card sharing is the way to go but very dodgy, guy i used to know who did it got caught out and they hammered him so not worth the risk anymore lol
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Tankslapper right about the linux servers.
Thats the exact setup my engineers have running, no good for my home as i get just over 1mb connection speed.
Example
Youngest son start a film download, leaves house drives 15 miles to eldest son's house, down loads film, drives home, loads film on to Apple TV box whilst upstairs the media server has not yet down loaded 40% of the film. :(
It's a drag slow internet speed.
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Styler4077 wrote:Tankslapper right about the linux servers.
Thats the exact setup my engineers have running, no good for my home as i get just over 1mb connection speed.
Example
Youngest son start a film download, leaves house drives 15 miles to eldest son's house, down loads film, drives home, loads film on to Apple TV box whilst upstairs the media server has not yet down loaded 40% of the film. :(
It's a drag slow internet speed.
If it makes you feel any better, I've got infinity, so 38meg down and 8meg up... During the day (and pretty much the entire weekend) the p2p is so throttled I would be better off with my old 2meg connection! After midnight on a weekday it's a different story though :biggrin