"Easy-Kill" (cheap) Mods!?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Griff1977

"Easy-Kill" (cheap) Mods!?

Post by Griff1977 »

Just need to canvass opinion for a couple of things. I've had my 'Storm since a works accident I had (lying in hospital bed (morphined up) in Jul and was perfect time to buy! I've ridden it about 15 times now and love it. Great power, rattly, thuddy and full of character. I didn't really have the spare cash to buy but did anyway and I'm now looking forward to adding a few personalised bits. Ive added a grab-rail, hugger and HRC tank protector but otherwise it is dead standard. Oh and done the manual CCTs. I'd love an after market exhaust and dyno and filter/air box? but funds (missus) won't stretch (don't think). I will however have a good look at NEC (going 21st on bike hopefully) in case one catches my eye!? Anyway. Back to request:

1. Both sets of indicators are ugly- I would like to mod these. I asked local MOT garage and he said he'd pass a combined tail/brake/ind unit but technically shouldn't. What rear/front indicators 'work' that don't cost the world?

2. Any other mods that anyone would recommend?

That's it!!

Did a trip to Brighton from where I am near Oxford (via Southampton, Hayling Island(good cafe!), Bognor & Littlehampton. Epic but motorway M25 M4 journey back rubbish! Loving the bike!!

TFN. Griff. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
tony.mon

Re: "Easy-Kill" (cheap) Mods!?

Post by tony.mon »

You have to make your own mind up, mate.
Things I'd do to mine may not suit your riding style/usage.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Tony, ta and I know what you mean. Im in a mood where I just want an informed 'shopping list' of ideas!!! Gonna pop into local dyno garage to chat about where I'm gonna go with the exhaust! I still need to decide about indicators.

Just a last Q: How can I get rid of the rear plastic mudguard 'section' that holds the number plate/indicators- but still have a bracket for the plate- think it looks v clean without it.

Ta. Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
geodude

Post by geodude »

Cant help you with the mods but the next time you go via Southampton, Hayling Island etc, give me a shout :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

Depends where you want to spend your money, looks, handling or engine?

Personally, apart from the norm of end cans and a dyno-jet kit Id leave it well alone, infact giving the cost of setting up a dyno-jet kit correctly Id give that a miss unless youe good mates with a dyno guy!

I went down the handling route, front forks valved and sprung, rear shock, upgrading the shocking brakes and investing a good set of tyres!

However a few small things which I think everyone should do is,
Renthal grips of the soft variety increased throttle feel and control no amount and only cost like £6
Stomp Grip, not something Id think would work but id never ride a bike fsat without it now! lol
Before I changed the shock, a £4 slip plate to raise the back end
Bigger rear sprocket for £20 or so, makes it feel 10x faster! lol
Rc45 quick action throttle, makes you feel like your riding a mx bike!

I could go on and on, as you might tell Im a function over form guy, if it looks pretty too then thats a bonus! However its upto you, but for the love of god dont suddenly decide you need to splatter oddly coloured anodised tat all over your bike! lol

Have a look in the gallery section of the forum to get some ideas of what others have done including myself, steal their ideas and take all the glory down the pub! lol
Opel

Post by Opel »

Two mod's that cost nothing and can add much to the storm experience... Gear linkage tweek and the TPS adjust. Honest... :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

more cost nothing mods:

De baffle the stock cans to get a bit more noise
Fast action throttle using a plastic spacer to increase the diameter of the cable pull [look for Tony.mon post on subject]
Stopper on CCT [but you dont need this as you have manuals]

+1 on the shock spacer, TPS & gear link mods from previous mods

other medium costs solutions are
CBR600F4 calipers and master cyl [not the new radial stuff] - budget £70
Progressive fork springs & new 7.5wt oil- Budget £90
Weight related rear spring, on stock body - budget £70
AMcQ
Opel

Post by Opel »

I've got "thet big rear sprocket", which came with the bike when I bought it the other year. Mines a 44 and I think that the originals a 41. For ages I wondered why I was always bouncing of the red line and feeling that I was going 'slower' than the speedometer was reading. 8O Infact I think that my speedo is... 11.7% out (ie too fast) if I recall correctly from the 'tool' on the speed healer website. Therefore my MPG is a darn sight worse than measured. 8O

I would say to myself I'm not doing 110 or 120 etc. etc. ( :crazy: ) surely!!! So in my humble opinion don't go there (for road use)... but each to their own. You pays your money and all that.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Cheers guys. I'm liking the ideas. As we all know a few 'personalised' improvements goes a long way with anything. Liking the grips, slip plate for raising back end (though need advice for this!), TPS adjust (advice again!), Gear linkage tweaks, Tony's fast action throttle mod, and kinda like de-baffling stock cans and bigger rear sprocket.

Anyway. Getting too excited!!

Any thoughts on the F/R indicators?

TFN. Griff.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Griff,

First off, blinkycators
I bought some of those cheapy teardrop ones for pennies
Then spent a bit of time and effort carving them to fit the curve of the bodywork
I'm very happy with them

Other cheap/ value mods
Definitely do the RC45 throttle tube -it cost me £8 but that was over 10 years ago!!

Set aside a couple of hours to properly clean your brake calipers -makes an unbelievable difference!

Saw this mod on the standard footpegs which is purely cosmetic

But I went for a functional mod that was one of the best I ever made

And finally back to the cosmetic -powdercoating is dirt cheap (£12 for a swingarm or £14 for subframe)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stormin Ben wrote:Groff, blinkycators
I bought some of those cheapy teardrop ones
Then spent a bit of the bodywork
I'm very happy

Other cheap/ value mods
Definitely do a couple of hours to clean footpegs which is purely cosmetic

Why not drill out the sprocket cover? You could save grams, perhaps tens of grams........
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Tony,

Funny you should mention that, a while ago I picked up a spare cover with the intention of making something similar to the Coerce one

Its still in the 'projects' cupboard in the garage :oops:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

best cheap mod imo = 15t front sprocket £15
cheapest performance mod for any bike is lay off the maccys & beer, lose 2 stone. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
hellride

Post by hellride »

There is an indicator from a Peugeot that'll fit right into the fairings (front)
I think it's 307 but I'm not sure
Oh, well!! Could've been worse...