Do you wear earplugs when riding?

General Bike chat
Murv

Do you wear earplugs when riding?

Post by Murv »

As title?

Edit: Was going to get all clever and add a poll but don't seem to be able to!
jamiedaugherty

Re: Do you wear earplugs when riding?

Post by jamiedaugherty »

You bet! I started doing this when I raced but never really thought about using them on the street. After I tried it a couple of times I was hooked. Now I find myself putting them in even if it's a very short trip. I love 'em.
spider13

Post by spider13 »

yes been using them for years now,tried without on one trip and the noise level was horrible,you just get used to them,they become second nature
steve :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

For sure - don't want to get deafened by my loud exhausts!

http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Si ... irs_39424/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Always worn them. It's not the exhaust noise but the wind noise which will cause irreversible tinnitus if you don't wear them :cry:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Stratman wrote:Always worn them. It's not the exhaust noise but the wind noise which will cause irreversible tinnitus if you don't wear them :cry:
Oh I dunno about that, my exhaust is pretty loud lol :shh: 8) :lol:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Wear the every time I ride (just haven't got a bike to ride)

Another Firefighter i know failed his hearing test at his routine brigade medical. He was asked if he rode a bike.
When he said yes he got a lecture on wearing ear plugs, was sent away with an oppointment for 3 month later with instutions to wear ear plugs every time he rides and don't come to the medical on his bike next time.
He passed!
The constant wind noise flattens the small hairs in the ear. If this happens on a regular basis the hairs don't recover and you start to loose certain hearing frequencies and go deaf! :eek2
Murv

Post by Murv »

Cheers all :thumbup: I feared as much...
I hate wearing ear plugs, I don't like the feeling of isolation from everything it gives me, looks like it's something I need to just get used to.
My hearing at the moment is extremely good and that's not something I want to change!

Cheers,

Chris
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The constant wind noise flattens the small hairs in the ear. If this happens on a regular basis the hairs don't recover and you start to loose certain hearing frequencies and go deaf!
You are spot on there. :thumbup:

I personally have never worn earplugs on the bike. I may have to with these new cans though. :lol: but I do like to hear them.

The only time I have worn earplugs is in in a Sussex bonfire procession/display when I do things like this.
[youtube][/youtube]

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I do. Wind noise gets to me after a while. I may not wear them on short rides but, as I live in Canada and everything is far away (lol), I wear them most of the time.... Odd as it may sound, it allows me to concentrate more (limited brainpower, lol) on the other senses (and furthers my enjoyment of the ride) when I am not being bombarded by wind noise......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I dont but after the Hastings run I shall be purchasing some as I arrived home semi deaf.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I have tinnitus, it never goes away

Remember the time you leave a nightclub and your ears are ringing? That's tinnitus :(

You can alter the amount you hear by either pushing them in further or pull them out
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Dont leave home without them ( or an ipod !! )
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Flatline wrote:I have tinnitus, it never goes away

Remember the time you leave a nightclub and your ears are ringing? That's tinnitus :(

You can alter the amount you hear by either pushing them in further or pull them out
A mate of mine who was in the music industry also has tinnitus. He has to have noise around him know as a distraction because of the constant ringing. Not a nice thing to live with.

I have not ever tried wearing plugs whilst on a bike, maybe I should give it a go one day. I think I would find it disorientating as I like to have my senses around me and ear plugs mute that feeling.

Interesting what Mic says about it allowing him to concentrate more. I feel I would be better with an Ipod as, I like my friend, don't like silence (unless I'm in church :lol: ) but riding with music could be bad on a bike as the type of music will affect my riding and mood in either a good or bad way, depending on what I'm listening to.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside

Post by Image »

Never tried ear-plugs and don't want to. Sometimes though if I put my helmet on in a hurry it bends my ears back and gives me a horrid feeling of isolation and I have no awareness of traffic around me and I guess that's what it feels like with ear-plugs.

However, my other half wears them so my snoring doesn't keep her awake and she swears by them.