VTR opinion

General Bike chat
humberty

VTR opinion

Post by humberty »

Hi I'm new to vtr and vtr1000.org.

I've seen a 2001 (Y reg) VTR 1000 F3 with less that 14000 miles on clock. It is red has a aftermarket exhaust cans and seems in good conditions (at least on the pictures). I'm planning to view it on saturday.
The worry is that the guy has apparently had it for 6 months running it with the MOT and tax left by the previous user. It has no MOT or road tax and I doubt it is currently insured (he apparently don't have the time to use it ).
+ the price is quite low 1800£ . It look like a good deal but as I am new to this bike, is there anything to hide ... or suspicious ?
AMCQ46

Re: VTR opinion

Post by AMCQ46 »

I dont see the fact it is out of MOT as an issue, but might be worth getting the existing owner to get that done as a proof of his confidence that it is clean.

I do think that £1800 as a top end price, so even if it was very very clean, you would want it MOT'd, new tyres, new battery, chain etc, otherwise I would be pushing down to £1500.

look for
1) any signs of a paint job touch up........paint match and all standard stickers etc
2) Are the CCTs converted to Manual?
3) check the lock stops for any damage as these bruise or bend in a crash
4) look for signs of instant gasket applied badly [using instant gasket is not a bad thing, but you can tell the quality of the mechanic by the mess he leaves behind!] in the engine cases, heads and cam covers.
5) does the condition of the running gear look right for the milage? stone chips on fork legs should be low for that milage.
6) proof of servicing.......filter and oil changes, even if done at home.......as to talk to the last owner?

hope that helps...............oh and because its red you are within your rights to knock the price down to compensate :lol:
AMcQ
humberty

Post by humberty »

I won't forget the fact that red bike are much quicker :beer: .

one thing that bother me is Honda should have rectify the CCT's on later models it seems to be a common fault but anyway I'll look out any suspicious bits and try to knock the price down.
rob...

Post by rob... »

humberty wrote:Hi I'm new to vtr and vtr1000.org.

I've seen a 2001 (Y reg) VTR 1000 F3 with less that 14000 miles on clock. It is red has a aftermarket exhaust cans and seems in good conditions (at least on the pictures). I'm planning to view it on saturday.
The worry is that the guy has apparently had it for 6 months running it with the MOT and tax left by the previous user. It has no MOT or road tax and I doubt it is currently insured (he apparently don't have the time to use it ).
+ the price is quite low 1800£ . It look like a good deal but as I am new to this bike, is there anything to hide ... or suspicious ?
£1800 is TOP DOLLAR.
i sold my 'second' 'storm about march time, totally standard, 6,300 miles, just out of T&T but all good, £900.
ok, it was to a mate, at mate's rates, but even so i'd've thought £1200 was pushing it...........
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.

Post by Image »

Make sure it comes with the log document.
Is £1,800 low? I thought that was quite high for an MOT'd storm let alone an unmot'd one..
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the firestorm market is strange, good clean 97 plate bikes can sell for 1500 hundred at this time of year, but in winter you'd be lucky to get 1100 for it, but for 1800 it would have to be a very clean well looked after bike with a years mot and some tax.
just remember condition is more important than mileage. knock him down £100 if you need to put manual cct's on and a finned reg/rec. make sure he puts an mot on it. has it got some decent extras.....hugger,undertray,fender extender, double bubble screen and so on, it will mean you don't have to spend so much on the bike yourself.
good luck with it buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I posted a Page some where on forum that had info for new buyers with links to check insurance / mot history and more

Think Carl added to it as well if I can find it I will link to it for you

Sent from the Millennium Falcon via Carrier Pigeon
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
humberty

Post by humberty »

Glad i asked because I would have been fooled.
I'd like to see that link if possible
Cheers
seb421

Post by seb421 »

humberty wrote:Glad i asked because I would have been fooled.
I'd like to see that link if possible
Cheers
found it

http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =7&t=24060
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Everyone wonders why storms are so cheap, and here is every owner of probably one of the best put together, and underrated motorcycles out there, saying its not worth the money.

My stance is this. If its clean, with good history and no signs of crash damage, buy it. Obviously don't part with more cash than you have to, but dont under value it either. I'd rather pay good money for the right bike, and don't be put off if its standard. Only means the owner probably wasnt some wheelie merchant,who went nuts buying shite from demon tweeks or motrax. I paid £1500 for my '99 plate, with 8000 on the clock, but it was bog standard, and I'll keep it because I know its a good'un. Having said all that, if its got good quality aftermarket parts, which cost money, the chances are the previous owner had cash, and wouldnt scrimp on servicing either.

There are a couple of supposed weak points, namely CCT's and Reg Rec's, ( not that I ever had issues with either ) but other than that these things are bloody bombproof.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
popkat

Post by popkat »

I agree with leevtr, you lot are undervalueing the bike, this sort of thing seems typical of owners forums, i've seen it alot but can't really understand why ?, you value your bikes personally but not monetarily ?? I paid £2600 for my F2 about 6 weeks ago with 7500k on the clock and all std, I know that was near top price but it was from a dealer and i needed a bike quick, it's still a hell of a bike for the money (crap suspension apart ! )..If a 97 bike gets £1500 why shouldn't an 01 bike be £1800 ? sounds right to me and at 14000k it's low mileage..Also as summer is supposed to be here the current prices are higher than in winter time..

To the OP, If i were you i'd be most concerened about which model it is, an F3 would be on an 03 or 04 plate not an Y plate, check with the owner, probably just a mistake..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
seb421

Post by seb421 »

They are just an out of date bit of kit to the mainstream, Carbs, Average Suspension and brakes, mediocre power, not the best looker with out a lower fairing fitted, fat indy's on the old models, small tank range, fairly heavy lump

Its sort of a half way house the Storm, there are a lot better Sports bikes and a lot better Tourer bikes, not much in the Sport Tourer that i think are better other than the VFR the storm should have allways had a bigger tank to dominate the V-Twin Sports Tourer market but then it would have eaten into the much loved sales of Hondas Mighty V4 line up

It would be great if some one made a run of sexy looking 21 ltr tanks for the storm

If i had £1800 to spend on a bike i would probaly save a little more to be honnest and pick up a CBR929 or CBR954 for a little bit more, Fantastic chassis and lots more power on tap plus Kudos on the Blade badge, every man and his dog knows what a Ninja / R1 or Fireblade is

when a random ask's what my bike is and tell them its a Firestorm then think i mean Fireblade and i have to explain its not a blade it was Honda's first crack at taking some sales from Ducatti and jumping on the 90's V-Twin Band Wagon which all but Ducati have jumped off now
Last edited by seb421 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
rob...

Post by rob... »

popkat wrote: I paid £2600 for my F2 about 6 weeks ago with 7500k on the clock and all std.
rob... wrote: i sold my 'second' 'storm about march time, totally standard, 6,300 miles, just out of T&T but all good, £900.

damn!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

why don't i know you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

seb421 wrote:They are just an out of date bit of kit to the mainstream, Carbs, Average Suspension and brakes, mediocre power, not the best looker with out a lower fairing fitted, fat indy's on the old models, small tank range, fairly heavy lump

Its sort of a half way house the Storm, there are a lot better Sports bikes and a lot better Tourer bikes, not much in the Sport Tourer that i think are better other than the VFR the storm should have allways had a bigger tank to dominate the V-Twin Sports Tourer market but then it would have eaten into the much loved sales of Hondas Mighty V4 line up

It would be great if some one made a run of sexy looking 21 ltr tanks for the storm

If i had £1800 to spend on a bike i would probaly save a little more to be honnest and pick up a CBR929 or CBR954 for a little bit more, Fantastic chassis and lots more power on tap plus Kudos on the Blade badge, every man and his dog knows what a Ninja / R1 or Fireblade is

when a random ask's what my bike is and tell them its a Firestorm then think i mean Fireblade and i have to explain its not a blade it was Honda's first crack at taking some sales from Ducatti and jumping on the 90's V-Twin Band Wagon which all but Ducati have jumped off now
But a cbr929 of that year and mileage is gonna set you back £3000 or so...Unless you either buy in winter or get sh1t lucky.

Its all image baldrocks. Sure, the blade is a better bike for the track, but on the roads, in the real world....I'm not that convinced. Fours make me snore....Twins make me grin !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
seb421

Post by seb421 »

leevtr wrote:
seb421 wrote:They are just an out of date bit of kit to the mainstream, Carbs, Average Suspension and brakes, mediocre power, not the best looker with out a lower fairing fitted, fat indy's on the old models, small tank range, fairly heavy lump

But a cbr929 of that year and mileage is gonna set you back £3000 or so...Unless you either buy in winter or get sh1t lucky.

Its all image baldrocks. Sure, the blade is a better bike for the track, but on the roads, in the real world....I'm not that convinced. Fours make me snore....Twins make me grin !!

On the roads i can tell you the 954 is fantastic, around this time honda was still using the SP2 in racing the focus on the Blade was more for a road / track bike at the time than and out and out race machine

Have a look on ebay and in classifieds you can pick a 929 up fair cheep now
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14