Olympic opening ceremony

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Olympic opening ceremony

Post by Kev L »

So what do we reckon on the opening ceremony? I was as cynical as most during the preperation, but the bit I have seen of it has been pretty well presented. Danny Boyle seems to have put a good show together.
Just for giggles any suggestion for Olympic medalists off the forum? For instance the Biggest bullshitter, largest waistband, best Fish impression, most revolting storm?
I leave it to your imagination!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Wicky

Re: Olympic opening ceremony

Post by Wicky »

Puzzled as to why French preceded English in the announcements - like who speaks French apart from the French and the odd Canadian :evil: :evil:

Queen looked bored with the whole event Image - camera caught her fiddling with her nails as the GB team came in, then cut away pronto.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Rob

Post by Rob »

Only saw the odd bit of it, but it didn't look too embarrassing!

As for olympic medallists here, I'll enter the 'Worst condition Storm' category.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I was in bed a missed it :-)
Murv

Post by Murv »

I was begrudgingly impressed by it, thought the huge number of hospital beds being whirled around was more than a little ironic though.
Still, we paid for it, may as well watch the thing
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I was going to use it as a chance to go and ride on empty roads, like I did when the football was on, but decided it was perhaps something that was of more significance than some footy, and stayed in and watched with the family.

I was expecting cringing embarrassment and OTT, and there was some of it, but in the end I was impressed and I think Danny Boyle got a few good messages in there and flew the flag for GB :thumbup: .
And I am sure he was trying to remind the politicians theat they need to look after the NHS, but not sure if in the end he didnt just spent all the money that could have been used to fix it!

Respect for the music choice as well, was like a run through of my growing up (not finished yet :D ).

The individual audience pixel lights where he could make the seating part of the light show was seriously impressive. I almost wished I was there.

For the forum Olympians:
Most repaired storm.
Most bullshit.
Biggest chicken strips.
Most polished

And we have the medal colours in yellow, silver and orange, all the rest are the other losers :Beer Popcorn:
AMcQ
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Wicky wrote:Puzzled as to why French preceded English in the announcements - like who speaks French apart from the French and the odd Canadian :evil: :evil:
Apparently French is the official language of the Olympics, only because the president of the Olympic committee is a surrender monkey.

Makes me sick
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

templ8 wrote:
Wicky wrote:Puzzled as to why French preceded English in the announcements - like who speaks French apart from the French and the odd Canadian :evil: :evil:
Apparently French is the official language of the Olympics,
THat was my 1st thought, but then if you keep following that logic it should have been Greek as that was where the Olympics started, but the follow that further and it should have been German as they now are the official sponsor of Greece :lol: ...

Bloody insulting to have it in French
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Gold medallist fish impression here. I only watched a bit of it because I was hard at work on BSM's bike and then travelling back to Guildford. I did see Rowan Atkinson AKA Mr Bean which I though was excellent.

I'm in Guildford at the moment and trying to work my route back into London, A3 road closures cause of the cycling race is getting in my way and causing a bit of a headache.

Traffic in London yesterday was a nightmare. I don't see why they can't allow Black cabs and motorcyclists in the Olympic lanes. Especially bikes from a safety point. The Olympic lanes had hardly if any traffic in them causing single lane traffic jams in the other. I found myself overtaking on the white line of the lane a nit closer to the vehicles than I would have liked . No way was I gonna cross that lne, £180 fine apparently. I think that's how the government are going to recuperate some of the funds for the whole show. At one stage I was behind a lorry and a car went into the Olympic lane, there was a short gap between me and the lorry and I saw the car was going to move back across. I closed the gap and he got forced to stay in the Olympic for a half a mile :lol: :lol: Fine for him I think :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Just watching the womens beach volley ball on Eurosport and there is still empty seats...thought that was supposed to be a sell out :D

Expect the missing people are stuck in traffic somewhere 8O
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

love the Olympics. Thought last night was superb and the inclusive nature of it a v welcome thing in this day and age. So many individual normal people creating their own stories, fantastic.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

speaking as a multi gold medalist forum olympian
largest waistband
most repaired storm
biggest pineapple insertion
as carl said, i was also cream crackered from working on my bike for 10 hrs :roll:
so i only saw about an hour of the opening ceremony, i have to say i was impressed by what i saw, good music, great light show, i was also confused as to the use of french (templ8 you forgot the cheese eating) spanish and indian/asian languages are spoken by more people around the world????
i still can't help thinking that the olympics is a huge waste of money, at a time of recession, when the average person is struggling,
england oops i mean britian are still the best at pomp and ceremony....
as carl said why aren't motorbikes alowed in games lanes :eek2
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

indian/asian languages are spoken by more people around the world
Especially in East London :lol:

==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
indian/asian languages are spoken by more people around the world
Especially in East London :lol:

did you enjoy the smell of curry yesterday mate.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Now then...

I was determined not to watch this at all TBH but...About an hour before it was due to start, a friend rang me to tell me that her niece was involved & had a major part in the Danny Boyle section of things......

So intrigued & the fact that there was sod all else to watch, I settled in for the long haul.

I have to say it was quite impressive if a little bizarre at times! Very good use of music I thought. Was impressed that the Pistols got two plays with a snatch of ' God Save' during a filmed part & an almost full run of 'Pretty VaaaayCUNT'' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway during the whole modern technology bit, starting with the woman driving the Mini up the ramp* going through the music of the past 4 decades & ending with the inventor of WWW. The young lady who was the focus of things, re the lost phone & all the messaging ect ended up dancing with the bloke in the loft....You still with me on this ? Well that is my friends niece, her name is Jazz BTW.
That's my claim to fame done & dusted.

*IMO should have used an original mini there really, but as BMW are sponsors I suppose they couldn't really......Should also of had a Spitfire flying over at some stage as well .... :twisted:

Anyway back to the ceremony...Highlights for me were....Arctic Monkeys ripping up a storm...Her Madge looking a right mizgog through out the whole thing ( I bet she was well impressed with the Pistols!) & my favourite LOL bit was when the German team came in & the cut shot to the dignitaries in the stand the bloke was more or less doing a sieg hiel salute! Priceless! :lol: :lol:

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...