How Much!!!!

General Biker Banter
firestorm1997

How Much!!!!

Post by firestorm1997 »

So you know where all your hard erned cash is being spent once the Gov has got hold of it...
Just read this....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20851775

£22.000 per screen set....Someone's having it away for sure. 4 lenghts of tube and a 2 x 2 meter plastic sheet.... 8O
Last edited by firestorm1997 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lloydie

Re: How Much!!!!

Post by lloydie »

That won't stop them .
It will just make the drive slower to peep through the screens :-(
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's was exactly what I was thinking. Just slow down to look at the screens :lol: If they really want to keep traffic flowing. Get rid of the stupid speed restrictions like the 50mph environmental friendly bullshit zones. In fact, just get rid of the speed limits altogether :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:That's was exactly what I was thinking. Just slow down to look at the screens :lol: If they really want to keep traffic flowing. Get rid of the stupid speed restrictions like the 50mph environmental friendly bullshit zones. In fact, just get rid of the speed limits altogether :biggrin

But in theory that's just gonna create more accidents, more people driving outside of their limits..
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

We struggle to get the fire appliances through the traffic and down the hard shoulder when attending and RTA. There is not enough room for all the emergency services let alone another lorry carrying screens. We will have cut the poor soles out of the cars before the lorry has even managed to get out of the depot!!
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Wow I could of mine some much cheap for them
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But in theory that's just gonna create more accidents, more people driving outside of their limits..
Not according to the council trials in Coventry, and I think there are some trials similar going on in parts of Europe. Take all the rules away and people concentrate a lot more on what is going on around them. The theory being like on an ice rink. You have lots of people going in all directions and very few of them crash into each other because they are looking around more and concentrating on what is going on around them. Driving too slow is just as dangerous. Hence the reason they are putting these screens up.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There is not enough room for all the emergency services let alone another lorry carrying screens.
That is a very very good point.

If they where to put them up as a permanent fixture I could see it being beneficial.
1) It would help with the crosswinds
2) We wont get hit by a wall of water when something large goes through a large puddle on the opposite carriageway.
3) Old bill on that side wont see you going 120 down the outside lane :roll:
4) it may help with noise pollution for those that live alongside or near the motorway.

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

thumperslaw wrote:Wow I could of mine some much cheap for them
Can we try this again, in English!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
playerone

Post by playerone »

firestorm1997 wrote: £22.000 per screen set....Someone's having it away for sure. 4 lenghts of tube and a 2 x 2 meter plastic sheet.... 8O
the set has 30 screens but even so it's a bloody lot of money 8O
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No trials going on here that I've seen .
But most road users don't comply with the Highway Code here anyway and most don't have a uk licence :-( or is that a tv licence they think they can drive with !!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:
Not according to the council trials in Coventry, and I think there are some trials similar going on in parts of Europe. Take all the rules away and people concentrate a lot more on what is going on around them. The theory being like on an ice rink. You have lots of people going in all directions and very few of them crash into each other because they are looking around more and concentrating on what is going on around them. Driving too slow is just as dangerous. Hence the reason they are putting these screens up.

I don't know if you've ever ridden in Coventry... But every time I nip into Cov I genuinely fear for my life with some of the drivers...
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Virt wrote:
cybercarl wrote:

I don't know if you've ever ridden in Coventry... But every time I nip into Cov I genuinely fear for my life with some of the drivers...
Try South East London mate ! Well most parts of London in fact.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
geodude

Post by geodude »

If it saves 2 fatalities, it's paid for itself. It is estimated that a fatality on our roads cost £1.69 million 8O
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No I have never been to Coventry. It was on a road safety programme I was watching about a month ago. I think it's only in the town centre area, but they have got rid of all road markings, traffic signals the lot. They have even merged the pedestrian areas and roads together. So basically it is a free for all. All the people they interviewed liked it and think it works. The only people that complained where the blind, as the noise of traffic is non directional and there are no beeping crossings.

Mac your not wrong mate. East London is like driving in India minus the Cows :lol: :lol: And no, I have never driven or ridden in India. :lol:

Back to the barriers/screens. I agree, it is a ridiculous amount of money for what it is. But look how much all of it costs. Crash barriers, Road signs, Lampposts, the lot. I bet that is all overpriced for what it consists of to make.
I wonder how much it costs to re-surface a mile of Motorway. The Government probably don't even think twice about spending, say, a million pounds. I dread to think what the whole road system throughout the country costs. It must be into the, (err, god knows) at a guess, 100 Billions to keep up and running, new roads, maintenance etc etc. When they are dealing with big numbers like that £22.000 - £100,000 is small change. No doubt the companies that sell the stuff, get whatever price they ask for by shaking the right hands though! :roll: