Best not to text when driving!

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Best not to text when driving!

Post by sirch345 »

I expect plenty of you have already seen this video seeing as it was out in 2009, but for some reason I didn't.

This is not for the squeamish. Fairly hard hitting IMHO, but certainly shows what could happen in those circumstances.

[youtube][/youtube]

Chris.
Kev L

Re: Best not to text when driving!

Post by Kev L »

We have the Fire brigade come to the college every year to show the new intake this film as part of the road safety input. The full film is really interesting as it shows the two female passengers in a bad light at the start of the film, however following the crash and the demise of the two girls they are placed on pedestals as the nicest creatures to walk God's clean Earth, and the driver and her family are pilloried by the local community.
The whole film is very hard hitting and informative.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's good but the problem with those sort of films, ways of getting the message across, is that it's not real, it's drama. It's like watching an episode of casualty that. Yes in the worst possible scenario that is possible but I think they would be better off showing reality rather than dramatisation. I'm sure the emergency services have been to incidents, the aftermath of what can happen. Why not film it and then get the permission from those involved or relatives afterwards to use it. At least keep it real.

While on the subject of mobiles someone told me earlier the pilot from the London helicopter crash was Texting while on the radio to the Westland heliport at the time of the crash. :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I seen a few bad accidents in the east midlands today .
One stood out where a middle aged Lady was txting wile driving ! I know this as she over took me in the outside lane .
She was HOT :-) but moments later not so pretty .
She drive straight into the slush and it pulled her car into the central barrier . She over corrected and rolled the car in front of me .
Luckily she had a seat Balt on and was relatively ok .
Needless to say the car was no more .
When will people realise that driving a motor is deadly not only to yourself but to others .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Close call for you that one mate. Good job you saw what was going to happen or at least had some sort of pre warning.

Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Drivers that text or use mobiles when driving should be given a mandatory driving disqualification
at some pre determined level 3month / 6 month ban ..it is very dangerous to take your mind / eyes and brain off the road ....when ones riding / driving as we know :? whatever... why don't they do it ? Or do they ?mmmm ?...not round here ? it is usually its a fine ..: Foreign lorry drivers are all fair game .. especially new entered in at Maritime ports.

I saw a young lady ... involved in damage ony traffic accident on the dock road , The lorry driver was on his mobile phone who cut her up an WHEN SHE WAS SIDE SWIPED GOOD STYLE AND VERY UPSET AT THE SCENE AND .HER CAR WAS MANGLED AND LOOKED BEYOND REPAIR A WRITE OFF SHE WAS LUCKY TO ESCAPE WITH HER LIFE. !!!!

But if you get stopped for a mobile telephone offence.... the first question out of the sherrifs
mouth is ... Sir ...I have seen you " etc etc ... "Were you making an emergency call on 999/ 911
to summon assistance WHEN i SAW YOU ? " if you said " NO ' you are toast and another statistic in the officers notebbok.. if you said " YES " what would happen then.... caution from the Sherrif at the road side .. hey but if you were using the mobile.... or , he reports you then Crown Prosecution Service decide if there was a case to answer and prosecute..or not :thumbup: Or take your day out normally smart and well dressed with your very own legal rep in front of the bench looking forward speaking clearly and honestly with or without the good book in your right hand and maybe expecting a degree of leniency and compassion. mmmm ? :shh:

If you said "NO OFFICER I WASNT USING MY PHONE " ( it is useless to say this as there will be photographic evidence to convict you ). That ll be 3 pointsL on your DL and a fine fixed penalty Sir.. or if yer lucky ..... take this as a warning ... thank you occifer it wont happen again .. :thumbup:

The foilbles and vageries of our legal system as defined under the Road Traffic Act 1988. :crazy: I say make a law stick to it ...reduce accidents....keep death and tragedy off our roads.... Mandatory disqualification for the use of mobile telephones ..is what is required and what our country desperately needs. :thumbup:

Alb.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote:We have the Fire brigade come to the college every year to show the new intake this film as part of the road safety input. The full film is really interesting as it shows the two female passengers in a bad light at the start of the film, however following the crash and the demise of the two girls they are placed on pedestals as the nicest creatures to walk God's clean Earth, and the driver and her family are pilloried by the local community.
The whole film is very hard hitting and informative.
Kev,
That's good the Fire brigade show the new in take at the College every year, it can't do any harm IMHO.
I personally think something should be put on the TV as well.
cybercarl wrote:It's good but the problem with those sort of films, ways of getting the message across, is that it's not real, it's drama.
Carl, I'm not sure I agree with that entirely :) over the years, going by people at work and others I know, the way some people carry on with their lives, I would have said they think the soaps are real :crazy:
lloydiecbr wrote: When will people realise that driving a motor is deadly not only to yourself but to others .
Exactly Lloydie, The thought of being taken out by someone else's stupidity, as in texting whilst driving really riles me :!:
Saintsman27 wrote:Drivers that text or use mobiles when driving should be given a mandatory driving disqualification
at some pre determined level 3month / 6 month ban ..it is very dangerous to take your mind / eyes and brain off the road ....when ones riding / driving as we know :? whatever... why don't they do it ? Or do they ?mmmm ?.

Alb.
Alb, I couldn't agree with you more, although a "hands free" phone is legal here in the UK as I understand it. The problem I think is how do the police catch everyone who's doing it, it's impossible to keep an eye on every vehicle user. Stiffer penalties can only help.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The problem I think is how do the police catch everyone who's doing it
I think some of these camera's they are introducing now can see you from like a mile away and are detailed enough to pick up if you on your phone or not wearing a seatbelt. It won't be long now before people will start receiving instant fines in the post.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I did hear a rumour about a new type of camera being fitted in the central barriers :?:
I'm not sure exactly what these will be for if true.

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

to this day i reckon the van driver that took me out was on the phone at the time, i don't know if the driver was questioned about this by the police, as i know they can seize the phone and check. i will admit to a crafty text whilst sitting at traffic lights, but never when my wheels are in motion, strangely i still see loads of people using their mobiles whilst driving in central london, and it tends to be the more expensive the car, the greater chance of them using the phone without a handsfree.... :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

sirch345 wrote:I did hear a rumour about a new type of camera being fitted in the central barriers :?:
I'm not sure exactly what these will be for if true.

Chris.
No its a made up story, imagine how much fun you could have with a hammer with one, its at a nice height to.

As for mobile use in cars, it really boils my piss when I see someone doing it. If I am on the Harley I rev the bike next to the car driver so he cant use his phone properly.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No not the cameras on barriers, that is rumours.

Have a look at this.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 6262316292

The Aussies want them as well.
NSW police last night confirmed they were considering buying the cameras - unveiled this week by UK police.