MiniDV - think i'm well behind the times

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

Re: MiniDV - think i'm well behind the times

Post by VTRDark »

Big files mind, 200 odd mb per minute!
Yep welcome to the world of video. It's a good job it's not uncompressed. :lol:

If your going to buy an external drive, try and get one that is 7,200rpm (7200) rather than 5,600rpm (5600). The desktop 3.5inch drives are generally 7200 and the laptop (portable) 2.5inch drives are generally 5600rpm. The 7200 is faster and will increase the speed that you can capture at so less lag. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

thanks Carl - good advice cheers.

One other thing - I tried to transfer a file to the existing small drive I have and it said the file size (10gb) is too large? What's going on there then, is it the type of drive!? :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Select the drive and click on Get Info. If on Mac you can either get the get info from file menu or right click to get you contextual menu up and select it from there. Have a look what size the drive is and how much space you have on the drive.

More than likely it's got data on the drive already so not enough free space. Even if the drive looks physically empty it could have a load of Hidden files on there that build up over time or in the trash. When you put files on a drive they can also put hidden files on the drive as well. One trashes the file believing that it has all been taken off the drive when in fact there can be stuff left behind you can't see. Also when you trash something off a drive or USB flash memory, that still takes up space on the drive until the trash is emptied. When you eject a drive whatever you had trashed will go along with it when you unplug the drive and you see it in the trash again when you plug the drive back in, until the trash has been emptied. The only other thing I can think off is that the software your using is putting a restriction on how much you can capture.

Best to start with a nice clean fresh drive. The more fee space the better as it will get used as scratch disk space, virtual memory (temporary ram) So either use a new one or re-format a drive your not using. The important thing to do when re-formatting a drive is to Zero all the data so any remains are most definably removed. If on the Mac use Disk Utility which you will find in the Utilities folder. Select the drive on the left (Make sure to select the right drive. Dont go wiping the startup disk :eek2 ), go to the Erase Tab, choose the format you want the drive in (Usually Mac OS Extended) then click on options and select Zero all data.

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cheers Carl - on this someone said a FAT32 drive only has a max file size, whereas reformatted to NTFS (?) is unlimited. Guess I have a Fat one atm 8O
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

FATTY32 is limited to 4GB files - so try formatting to NTFS
BigVeeGrin wrote:cheers Carl - on this someone said a FAT32 drive only has a max file size, whereas reformatted to NTFS (?) is unlimited. Guess I have a Fat one atm 8O
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fat32 is what camera cards require most of the time and also good for dongles where toy want cross platform comparability. But if you using IMovie or other Apple software I don't think it will like it and want it formatted in either OS Extended or OS Extended journaled. Journalled is only necessary on start up disks, but if it only gives you the journalled option it wont do any harm. :thumbup:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2289
Not sure why it says Journaled on here it's only really necessary on start up disks to monitor the integrity of drives and for OSX optimization purposes. But like I said it does no harm.