RAF Waddington

General Biker Banter
Spiderman32

RAF Waddington

Post by Spiderman32 »

Haven't been on for a while as the storm has been replaced by a zxr but i've had an invite to go to a track day at RAF Waddington and wondered if anyones been or if anyones interested.

you need to know someone in the MOD to get on the track but i understand that calling them up might just get you on track it seams cheap enough at £55.00 for the day if you book your place in advance. there is a web page that shows the track and the normal stuff that's on the interdotnet.

the back straight looks epic to me long and straight, enough to max almost any bike i would imagine. :thumbup:

not sure about going though as i'm all the way down in Devon (carrot crunching land) to those that don't know it seams a long way to go as i've never riden an airfield only ever done proper tracks.

anyone been ?

PS i'm missing the strom but by heck the zxr is on rails in the bends :D
Wicky

Re: RAF Waddington

Post by Wicky »

Never been in it as I'd expect rock apes to shoot me attempting entry... but been past it a few times between Lincoln & Grantham. Only about 30 miles from Cadwell.

http://www.airfieldridingday.co.uk

Shame no Vulcans, but they have AWACs, recce stuff and drone squadrons
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
skyman

Post by skyman »

Wicky wrote:Never been in it as I'd expect rock apes to shoot me attempting entry... but been past it a few times between Lincoln & Grantham. Only about 30 miles from Cadwell.

http://www.airfieldridingday.co.uk

Shame no Vulcans, but they have AWACs, recce stuff and drone squadrons
there is a vulcan non flying ,,by the perimeter just next to a nice little cafe and view point,
often call in when been on a run out south of the city,
If anyone fancied a ride to there and doesnt know the area I would meet up and show you round the sights of lincoln or if you are an aviation fan we could do a run round the camps old and still in service
neil

Post by neil »

The Vulcan at waddington is the one which did the bombing of Port Stanley in the Falkland islands in 1982. At the time it was the longest bombing mission ever done.
redvtr
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If that's the case then that Vulcan is famous as it almost never made it there which may have changed the outcome of the whole war. It was very much touch and go and absolutely incredible that it made it. The British forces at their best :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

iirc it landed with only about a gallon of fuel left?
think it was a Vulcan that I read that about.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
skyman

Post by skyman »

Avro Vulcan XM607 at RAF Waddington

just on the main road as you can see
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Love the Vulcan bombers, reminds me of my childhood when they used to do low fly practice in the valleys near our farm. I would be sitting onthe edge of a skylight window in the attic of the bungalow and they would be at eye level :D
AMcQ
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Yep, she`s the Falklands Vulcan :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

From Wikipedia
The Vulcan lacked the range to fly to the Falklands without refuelling several times, as it had been designed for medium-range stand-off nuclear missions in Europe. The RAF's tanker planes were mostly converted Handley Page Victor bombers with similar range, so they too had to be refuelled in the air. A total of 11 tankers were required for two Vulcans, a huge logistical effort as all aircraft had to use the same strip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

Impressive I would say. :clap: :clap:

But on another note. on the darker side. Just think that plane would have been carrying Nuclear weapons over Europe during the Cold war which she was designed for. :eek2

I have only ever seen them flying at Dawlish airshow and possibly on a couple of fly-pasts over London.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside