hard drives problems

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
tattoo

hard drives problems

Post by tattoo »

how easy/hard is it to replace the hard drive on my laptop....it was working fine lastnight but now i'm getting a message every 10-15mins telling me there's a problem with my hard drive...
Virt

Re: hard drives problems

Post by Virt »

Depends on the laptop model. It's usually quit simple as the HDD is under a screwed in panel
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stop using it and get the contents copied over to a backup drive before it chucks the towel in completely. Plenty of replacement drives on sites such as dabs.com - You might want to consider a SSD (Solid State Drive) with less moving parts, and quicker to boot!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

you can also get free disk cloning software off the net to keep all your files and operating system intact etc.

Pretty simple to change the hard drive. Well saying that the Mrs had a problem with her new windows 8 laptop. We were looking to get the data off of the hard drive but couldn't get to it as it was inside the laptop case with no access panel.

Didn't want to take the laptop apart as that would of voided the warranty.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes data is more valuable than any hard drive or computer, so get it backed up onto an external drive. I once had a 500gb drive crash on me without any warning, with a head crash and did not have all the contents backed up. I had months and months of 3D work and rendering on that drive which was irreplaceable. Gutted I was, absolutely gutted. In fact I still have the drive tucked away in a box in hope that hard drive data recovery will get cheaper one day, So I can then have the men in white coats get what they can off the platters inside the drive.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

thanks guys..looks like a trip into peterborough later today..
ernie234

Post by ernie234 »

if it has a stata harddrive u may also need the sata drivers for it if u are installing xp try the laptop manufacture for all the drivers u also have to watch the thickness of the harddrive u might only be able to fit a 8mm drive. if it is ide then they are like rockinhorse stite to get hold of and exspensive.