Op Storm: Destination East Midlands June 20th - 22nd 2014

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Ckennedy

Op Storm: Destination East Midlands June 20th - 22nd 2014

Post by Ckennedy »

I have been out for just under 2 hours on my bike this morning and I got thinking...

I was riding along some lovely roads on a few of my favourite routes around here and it came to me that I would like to share some of these roads with you lot. Those local to me will more than likely know these roads anyway but those a bit further away will not. So it got me thinking, is it to early for me to ask if I can host Operation Storm IIII next year? I already have some good routes, just need to find some good linking roads, I know of a nice camp site with plenty of local pubs and the roads are great. The only thing I can not guarantee is the weather.

So what do you lot think, can I host the next Op storm? It will follow tradition of meeting up on the Friday, ride on the Sat and everyone head home on the Sun.

I can get a rough route planned out today for you all to see. This of course will change a bit between now and then but it will give you all a rough idea.

People who are already interested:
Wicky
Lloydie
Virt
AMcQ
Geodude
Gazfirestormowner
edds11
Kev L
Flatline
bigspanishmarty
adyf
Scouse645
BigVeeGrin
Tony.mon

Maybe's:
Cybercarl

Rough route so far:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sour ... ,18&num=10
Last edited by Ckennedy on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Wicky

Re: Is it to early to be thinking about....

Post by Wicky »

That sounds good! When I studied at Leicester and first learnt to ride I remember some fun rides out around Rutland way.

The odd thing about Leicester was there were few if any roundabouts, everything was done with traffic lights - Caused me much confusion riding back in Essex as I had no idea what to do when confronted by one!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds good. Best to start planning these things early. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

B664 is a must (roller coaster) market harbour to uppingham
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:B664 is a must (roller coaster) market harbour to uppingham
That was one of the roads I was thinking about. Including a route around Rutland, six hills, barrow, hinckley and others. Lloyd we may need to get together at some point and ride some of these routes and plan how to get from one route to another.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ckennedy wrote:
That was one of the roads I was thinking about. Including a route around Rutland, six hills, barrow, hinckley and others. Lloyd we may need to get together at some point and ride some of these routes and plan how to get from one route to another.
sounds good but i dont know many roads that are good for bikes as i spend most of my time going down them in the van .
have a look at the greatest road app you should be able to get it on most platforms .
Virt

Post by Virt »

Please. I need something to do after I ride the storm. All the rideouts currently arranged are pre-suicide on a sports bike :lol: I've been that area before, I did one of my tests in Leicester and the roads were surprisingly nice there.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:
Ckennedy wrote:
sounds good but i dont know many roads that are good for bikes as i spend most of my time going down them in the van .
have a look at the greatest road app you should be able to get it on most platforms .
When we do a meet I will have to show you some of them. To be honest there are a few main roads (A roads) around Rutland that are nice and if you go along the A6006 from Melton to Shepshed area that is rather nice. Let me know when your free and we shall have to go along some of them.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

will do , :thumbup:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

This is the kind of thing I was looking at doing. I still need to find around another 100miles to add onto that so anyone local who has any ideas please put them forward. Like I say this is a rough plan as there is still a year and a bit to go if it is decided for me to organise the next Op. I was thinking around June/July. Here is the route so far. Plenty of changes to be made but see what you think.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sour ... ,18&num=10
geodude

Post by geodude »

Go for it. I'd call it Operation Storm: Destination Leicestershire or something though :thumbup:

Operation Storm - Anywhere (usually the Midlands though)
And the annual rideouts are
Operation Storm II - Wales - Me
Operation Storm III - Yorkshire - Flatline
Operation Storm IV - Reserved for Scotland (once Al sorts it out) :P
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
geodude

Post by geodude »

Don't forget the A444 from the A5 north of Nuneaton to Twycross. Nice stretch of road that :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

I'd defo be up for this one
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I'll go for operation storm 3.5 because it will take Alistair ages to sort his one :lol:

I was thinking Leicestershire but as we would be crossing into derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and god know where else I think I might just go with operation east midlands. Covers about everything then :lol:

Does the time of year sound ok for people? Weather we use the Vic again or not I don't know yet. Just used is as a start and end point.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Ckennedy wrote: Does the time of year sound ok for people? Weather we use the Vic again or not I don't know yet. Just used is as a start and end point.
If (Date => 23/10/2013) {
HappyVirt(True)
}

:lol:

There's a few nice-ish roads around my area. The road from Rugby to Banbury is semi decent. Nothing truly amazing, although you could always organise a trip to Transfagarasan :wink:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement