GoPro mounting places?

General Bike chat
nora2004

GoPro mounting places?

Post by nora2004 »

So went out yesterday to try out my new go pro I got for Xmas, turned out to be an epic fail! Lol Nailed the bike trying to look like a riding god for the sake of the video, and after all that turns out my SD card had shat itself about 15 minutes in!

However I managed to rescue the file but it looks like I mounted the camera to a washing machine, it was vibrating really bad, so when do you guys running them mount them? Just watched a video on YouTube of a Storm and it was perfect but I couldnt work out where he had it' might be someone on here, username Starqone?

Chris
Virt

Re: GoPro mounting places?

Post by Virt »

Geodude or Miztaziggy are probably the best ones to ask from what I gather. They're ears should be burning round about now :thumbup:

I haven't heard of a starqone though, but I haven't been here that long, and the search function returns nothing
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Geo posted a thread with all different camera angles/mounting points for Chric a while back.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26076

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Shoulder mount is suppose to be reasonable
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

After playing about with mine for a couple of weeks, the best advice I would give you for mounting with the GoPro mounts is this:

Mount the sticky pad on something solid, not a flimsy bit of fairing. Eg dont mount on the edge of a side fairing where it's flexible, mount at the thickest point with least movement. Above the light on the front is good, or on the screen if it's thick and doesn't move much, along with the top of the side fairing. Also try one on your swingarm to get low down forward and rear facing views.

Use as few of the mounting pieces as possible. I use a GoPro mount with an adapter for a Drift camera. I find that when I use more than 2 connector pieces, the vibration is horrible. With 2 it's about bearable, and with 1 it's good. I usually try and connect the camera directly to the mount though, as it's very stable like that, with minimal vibration. Although I do get a strange effect at certain revs where the video distorts slightly. I found out that it's because of the sensor being a CMOS sensor and the way it scans and records pictures.

Tighten the little turn screws with a screw driver, as tight as you can. That really makes a big difference if you do have to use the pieces.

Try to get the mounting pieces vertical, rather than horizontal. I found that if I stick the pieces out horizontally the camera bounces a bit. If I have the vertically I still get some vibration but it's much less noticeable and easier to fix afterwards with stabilisation in Vegas or PowerDirector.

Remember to let the adhesive set on the mounts for 24 hours before you use them. Even then I still connect the camera to something with a tiewrap to be sure.

If your mount is quite loose, put a piece of card under the end of the mount between the clip and the mount. It's quite hard to squeeze it between the surfaces, but it does stop a lot of vibration if you can get it in there. Also then put the little white U shaped thing in the mount clip to secure it further.

Lastly, try to get hold of a clamp mount. See link to ebay I posted here:
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=15

If you have a decent sized crash bung they will go well on that. They will also go on bar ends on the handle bars, or some rear spoliers / hand rails if they are thick enough. The clamp is a little bit too big to go on a mirror stalk, but I suppose you could put some rubber around it to make it fit, though I suspect the mirrors will move too much.