Jacket mods

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Smokinjoe73

Jacket mods

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

So I took up sewing. Not for the normal reasons but because I have been racing 12 events a year for 14years and eventually you go down the track without a bike.

Then you need leathers repaired. I figure I do all my own wrenching on my 3 racebikes and 2 streetbikes as well as my van, how hard could it be?

So here are a couple of my jackets and leathers. I just buy super cheap leather jackets in thrift stores and cut them up for the graphics.

Anyway, I noticed on my old grey mesh jacket, that the graphics slowed the air coming through to cool me, so for my next one I am making the graphics out of mesh dollar store laundry bags. (yeah I know, wile-e-coyote genius)

Will post the results. I have Billy Idols "hot in the city" on repeat as I make this for motivation.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
AMCQ46

Re: Jacket mods

Post by AMCQ46 »

So with your forum name, is this now a smoking Jacket? :lol:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hot in the city, hot in the city tonight. :Rock2: I like White wedding. :biggrin

The silvery titanium colour leathers look cool. Almost like chain mail. So what sort of needle did you use to get through the thick leather. I have been thinking about stitching some slider onto mine as they have lost the stick on the vlecro.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Carl, they look like textile fabrics to me, so might be a bit easier to stitch than your old leather trousers
AMcQ
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

For knee slider velcro you gotta do it by hand, which is how I do my repairs at the track.

You gotta go to a good sewing supply place and get leather darners, get a package of 3 or a couple different brands. (they have a triangular shape and are mad sharp)

Also get the strongest thread they have and 3-4 good thimbles. When you stitch you will need needle nose pliers to pull in through.

Dont attempt if you are a hemopheliac since there will be some blood.

Smoking jacket? Is that some proper British humor? From Mony Python to this huh?
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Smokinjoe73 wrote: Smoking jacket? Is that some proper British humor? From Mony Python to this huh?

we all wear them over here :lol:
AMcQ
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Is that inspector cluseau? Peter Sellers? Now that is funnier.

This is kinda how my jacket modding is going.....

ANDYGEE

Post by ANDYGEE »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:Is that inspector cluseau? Peter Sellers? Now that is funnier.

This is kinda how my jacket modding is going.....

Hilarious
For those about to rock I Salute you !
darkember

Post by darkember »

I presume I may be guessing correct that you have a religion; referring to the emblem on the first jacket :thumbup:
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Yeah darkember, Christian. Member of the Brooklyn tabernacle. Pretty famous choir here in the City. They got to sing for the innaugeration (or really the President got to have them)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have to admire your handy work Smokinjoe, well done :clap: :clap:

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i thought hmmm thats a new one.... thinking you were modding the water jacket to get a cleaner burn or push for more power lol.
never mind. i'll get my coat.

and my embroidery set :lol:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Not sure what happened to my original post as when I view it now the text is gone.

The story is that doing 12 events/year roadracing and roadrace instructing (2 full trackdays + 2 full days racing each event), you wind up doing 100mph without the bike every so often, so leather repairs become needed. (even with 3 sets of leaters).

Then why not do the street gear too, which is leather. Then the mesh joe rocket. But now making emblems that flow air. (last pics)
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Street jacket, armored but broke my collar bone & 3 ribs in this one. Had to pick up hawk to prevent it being stolen, ride it back to garage, get on mountain bike, ride it home, then call ambulance. Thank God for adrenalin.

Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Ok these are the mods so far. Been upwards of 110*F(43.3C) here so good to have mesh.
I will likely do more stuff but got my logo and honda and wings on. Its much straighter and nicer than the pics show. Happy with the results.