Why riders dont wear gear

General Biker Banter
Smokinjoe73

Why riders dont wear gear

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Why riders dont wear gear and/or make bad decisions. This facinates me as a race/ride instrutor. Also when talking to new riders about their perception of risk vs reward. Human have adapted bad ways of believing things, like the lottery.

This is similar if you like this kind of stuff like me.

Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Virt

Re: Why riders dont wear gear

Post by Virt »

Because everyone sees stories of what happens to people who get in accidents with/without gear but think "nah, it won't happen to me."

We may be the 'dominant' species, or whatever, of this planet. But I swear to god we are also the dumbest :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Give someone a choice and they will make one it may not always be the best one but its theirs to make

Until the government makes me wear approved gear i will continue to commute in tracksuit bottoms i'm aware of the risks should there be any incidents

But we are lazy or i am i simply can't be arsed to change my pants when i get to work, on a summers day i'll go in shorts

I know some people are annoyed with riders doing that but thats the freedom and choice i have been given unless its made law i can't see me doing anything differently
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

When you ride in France or Spain, the bike police ride in what look like jodphurs and short sleeved shirts as it's just too hot a lot of the time for full leathers etc. I won't sweat away in 30 deg heat in full leathers either, though that is seldom a problem over here!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

darkember

Post by darkember »

We may be the 'dominant' species, or whatever, of this planet. But I swear to god we are also the dumbest :lol:[/quote]

We are not dumb m8 just arrogant & ignorant.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

darkember wrote:We may be the 'dominant' species, or whatever, of this planet. But I swear to god we are also the dumbest :lol:
We are not dumb m8 just arrogant & ignorant.[/quote]
Some wombles are :-(
zims123

Post by zims123 »

Just been to Rhodes......

Go there and look at the risk v reward equation!!!!!!!.........madness on mopeds!!!!!!!!! :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

People can wear what they like. Its just the same as saying why do people ride motorbikes when a car is safer.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

People can wear what they like. Its just the same as saying why do people ride motorbikes when a car is safer.
I like that.

That's the thing because a danger level is something we are told (brainwashed) by so called authorities or has to be compared to something else so if the variables are changed then riding without proper clothing could be insignificant. How about riding on the worlds most dangerous roads in South America, would one be worried about if they have a motorcycle helmet on when there is a great big drop off at the edge of a cliff face. :eek2

What's more dangerous flying in a plane or driving a car. There are more deaths in cars than there are planes. Are you safer in shark infested waters as a scuba diver at 30m depth or snorkelling on the surface.

I have been in an 80mph head on collision as a passenger in a car not wearing a seatbelt and my mate who was driving had his seatbelt on. Who came out worse? My mate with whiplash! I rolled forward and head butted the glovebox leaving a big dent in it and rolled back into the seat. Basically went with the forces rather than resist them and walked away without a bruise or scratch.

It's all down to the luck of the draw.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yeah we have a lot of folks that make judgement on people by what they ride in, we call them gear nazis here........ My attitude is wear what you want, for the uninformed I will explain why I wear gear all the time but after that it is on you.

We are all adults and if you want to take the chance, well you're the one that will suffer if things go bad..... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Luck of the draw, or stacking the deck in your favor? Yeah, its a personal choice, I get that. Doesnt negate which is a better choice. I just can't go for the situational ethics. Riding wrecklessly on a public road ungeared is always dumber than going to a racetrack.

Yeah, you are free to be stupid, but its still stupid.

You can smoke cigarettes and eat fried food too. But, like the gear thing, your gonna pay quite dearly.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's all about choice and having the freedom to make the choice. I generally do always wear bike clothing/Armour minus the leather trousers if bumbling around town, but I generally put them on for longer trips. But saying that Last time I did not bother when I was doing some high speed distance stuff. The reason I don't always put the trousers on is. one, because I am lazy and CBA changing (especially for shorter trips) or second, will just look out of place or it's inappropriate to be in bike gear where I'm going.

I have already had two broken femur's and on both occasions I was all armoured up. I was also wearing leather motorcycle boots and my ankle still got ripped out of it's socket A Honda metal footpeg pierced it on my old CB1. So having the protection does not always work. For all I know it could have been made worse from the extra difficulty (movement) of the Paramedics having to cut the boot off.

Then you have to take into consideration that one may feel shielded by wearing all the protection which may cause one to ride a bit more aggressively and take more risks, if not wearing the protection, one may feel more vulnerable and not take so many risks and take it a bit easy.

I think stupid is a bit strong. I like to see as making an informed decision and weighing up the risks. We all know the pro's and cons.

mik_str

Post by mik_str »

around here, the only brain-dead folks to ride without proper attire (ie. in tank top, shorts and sandals) are the Hardley crowd. I am certain if helmets weren't mandatory that most would do without those too, as evidenced by their almost unanimous selection of the smallest ones available...... Proof, yet again (as if their chossing a Hog didn't seal the matter) of having no brains whatsoever.....

ah Darwinism.... :thumbup:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

when im out on my bike i will always wear my sidi boots gloves and helmet i have got Kevlar padded trousers but i don't were them a lot as they restrict my riding and are to heavy if i could find a biking jacket that would fit me with out being to heavy then i would buy it and wear it see the problem i have is im a 23 stone wide boy and manufactures don't do bike clothing for someone of my size and if they did they would be way to heavy and im fecked if im going to put on leathers the size of a cow just to stop people talking about what im wearing and im not going to stop riding just because im a fat git :lol: :lol:
Regards ian
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

im fecked if im going to put on leathers the size of a cow
PMSL you have jutst had me in stitches with that post.