for an 8,000 mile service.

When I got the bike back it was clear that the it was misfiring, often stalling
and backfiring through the carbs. There was a problem with lack of torque
below 5,000 rpm, idling was very erratic etc. I was very lucky not to fall
off at one point when the bike stalled just as I tried to accelerate away
from some traffic lights.

I arranged for the bike to be looked at again the week after the service,
however upon arrival I was told that there was no one able to look at the
bike that day and that I would have to come back another time.

This I did so a few weeks later, which meant that I could not use the bike
in the meantime. This time I was told that the fueling was too lean and
that it was now corrected.

The bike was indeed better, however there was still a persistent backfire
from the exhausts and lack of smooth torque at low revs.

Initially I thought this was due to a leak in the exhaust system. It took
me a few weeks of checking and re-sealing the exhaust joins to realise that
there was in fact no leak in the exhaust to be causing a backfire.

I next took the bike to a mechanic and was advised that the rubber seals
around the carbs were loose, which was causing misfiring and general rough
running. In spite of being advised that the carbs were in balance, they
were in fact not. In addition, the air screws were turned all the way out
on both carbs, which meant that idling was inconsistent and the engine was
prone to stalling.

When I took the bike in, I advised your service manager that there was a
coolant leak from the left hand side of the bike. After the service was
carried out no more coolant was leaking, so I assumed that the leak was
repaired, perhaps by tightening up a hose. However, the mechanic I took
my bike to noted that there was in fact no coolant in the expansion tank,
hence the lack of any leakage. Once the expansion thank was filled the leak
resumed.

In light of this I think the level of service provided by your workshop
has been nothing short of shocking.

I would be grateful if you could explain to me why it is that your workshop
took my bike in to perform a service and were happy to take my money, but
did not carry out the work to any sort of standard a normal customer would
expect. I say that assuming any work was in fact carried out.

I have wasted an inordinate amount of time and money rectifying the problems
introduced by your service department and would be obliged if you would
offer me an appropriate amount of compensation.

I have posted this e-mail on the VTR-1000 discussion board: http://www.vtr1000.org/
under the Workshop section and will also post any reply you may send. Please
feel free to post a response straight to the discussion board if you feel
I have criticised your garage unfairly in any way.

I would also like to add that my girlfriend was going to have her CB-600S
Hornet serviced by yourselves and have the break pads renewed, however in
light of the half finished job that was done on my Firestorm she promptly
changed her mind.

I look forward to hearing from hearing for you shortly.

My thanks and praises to Del for sorting these problems out for me in the space of one evening.

Want a job done properly? Go and see him!

Nick
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Dandare,

It would be worth sending a copy of that letter with a covering letter to your trading standards officer. They should be informed of things like this and they may even persue the case for you.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
freshfunkmeister

Another little Hartgate story.

Post by freshfunkmeister »

I took my storm there last year for a service and to get new tyres put on. I returned to pick up the bike to find they had forgotten to put the tyres on. So, I had to wait for another hour until they were on. I'd taken time off work to pick up the bike so wasn't too happy. When I went back to pick up the bike, they had completely removed all the powder coating from round the rim of my front wheel in their attempts (blaming it on a new tyre fitting machine ).Admittedly, they pointed it out immediately but the front wheel now looked like shite. They offered to pay half the cost to redo it but I didn't take them up on this offer........
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
Muffin666

Post by Muffin666 »

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

Some of you will be aware of the fact that my recent VTR purchase has not gone smoothly, but let me tell you the whole sorry story, in which the baddie is very much Hartgate Honda of Mitcham (and, to be fair, one of the two previous owners of my bike).

I bought my bike from Hartgate on 04/09/04 - a 2000 W-plate bike with only 2500 miles on the clock and absolutely immaculate, with full (actually slightly excessive) service history.

After picking the bike up, I couldn't get the damn thing to run smoothly from low revs at all - coughs, splutters, stalls and all manner of roughness which was at odds with everything I'd ever read about the VTR. I phoned the workshop at Hartgate and explained the problem - the workshop manager told me that I clearly didn't know how to ride a twin (I've been riding ten years and do 12,000 miles a year). I persuaded him I knew the bike has a problem, and, to be fair, they offered to give me a courtesy bike and promised to sort it out.

I dropped it back on the Thursday (09/09/04) and picked it back up the following Tuesday (14/09/04) after they had replaced a carb diaphragm. The bike was not improved at all.

So, I took it to see Del and within an hour he had sorted it out (a dodgy plug cap producing an arc and badly set-up carbs).

Having lost all faith in the dealer, I asked Del as a favour to do a bit more work (head bearings were knackered, and the engine was a bit noisy). He removed the fairing and revealed the fact that this bike had been spectacularly front-ended at some point.

I won't bore you with all the details, but the yokes were twisted beyond belief, the frame had dodgy welds on it, the airbox was bashed, one radiator was seriously mashed, various bits and bobs had been replaced (often badly) and the whole thing was ugly - very, very ugly (i.e. front wheel about 10 degrees off to the right in comparison with the bars...).

Now, I'll be fair to Hartgate - when I called them and confronted them with Del's evidence, they agreed to give me my old ZZR back (anyone want to buy a well-maintained, ultra-reliable winter bike for £1500???) and the cash I paid as well, and this they have done today (although Honda GB had to be involved).

The extent of the apology was "Sorry about that, mate" just before they gave me back the Kwak with a flat battery, and even flatter rear tyre (thanks, guys).

Any dealer that can miss damage this severe on a bike and then sell it to a mug like me has serious issues in their workshop. I can only suggest that you avoid them as far as possible.

Muffin666 :evil: :twisted: :evil:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Those b8stard should be closed down. They should be reported to the police for selling a bike that was clearly crashed without firstly notifying the buyer. They should be reported to Honda and have their dealer status taken from them. They should be reported to the Trading Standards as they are scam artists, and then they should be reported to "Watchdog".
Imagine the sh1te they have sold to inexperienced riders that have since had 'offs' because of the condition of the bikes they sell?? Danger to the public they are. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Muffin, I'd be going back to them and saying that you want to be paid for the bills you racked up by visiting other mechanics, for the time you wasted chasing around with your crashed bike, and for the damned inconvenience of now having your old bike back.

Christ, there is two clear examples of haven't a fu(king clue what they are doing.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Dandare2

Post by Dandare2 »

I spoke to their service manager about my servicing complaint and he told me that Hartgate have been established for over 20 years and have a "great" reputation, which they want to maintain.

He felt that because it took me so long to identify the fault it was not Hartgate's responsibility to pay any compensation. He also said that I should have taken my bike back to them so they could resolve the problems.

When I told him that I thought his workshop staff were incompetent and clearly could not resolve the carb problems, he said that he has one of the best workshops in the country and Honda UK thought so too :!: :!:

If this is indeed the case it does not say very much for the state of Honda's dealership network.

I think we should spread the word about Hartgate to other Honda motorcycle chat boards.
RQ

Post by RQ »

What a load of butt. I had a similar problem with a Renault I owned a few years ago. Front wheel bearings were gone, so booked it in. They changed the rear ones. Took it out on the road, noisy noisy, brought it back. They changed the front (for free).
The boot on the steering began leaking. Took it to a different dealer. Ah mate, your drive shaft is fooked, whoever was at this last screwed it up rightly. Two days later I'm still car less because dealer 1 made a bollix of my drive shaft.
To cut a long story short after a few carefuly targeted letters, I got a phone call from the Chief Exec of Renault Ireland (Bill Cullen) apologising. Fair play to him, he took the time to call me. He passed it on down the line to be dealt with. I then got calls from dealer 1 threatening to "Sort me out round town next time I'm seen". Seems like no matter what you do within the company, it's the guys in the garage that get the last word, so report it externally.

Dandare, I reckon you should get that response in writing for "Your files". Then send copies of that and your letters to the office of the CE of Honda UK, and CC Hartgate, Trading Standards, and Watchdog on it. The man who holds the paperwork holds the power. It is b8stard like them that make life soooo difficult for car / bike owners. Anyway, some cheek from them saying it was out too long, erm, did you not have it back three times no?
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
moonman969

Post by moonman969 »

Hi i need my vtr serviced and everyone keeps talking about this del bloke can anyone tell me how to get in touch,with him as i need a good job done no cowboys please as i have found 90 percent of london tradespeople no matter what they do... guy
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

you might get him on the yahoo vtr list...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Moon Man
Click on the "memberlist" at the top of the page.
He's No 13 (Delmeekc)
Send him a "pm" and he'll have a message sent to his email telling him there is a massage on here for him.
He's a good bloke, I'm sure he'll be willing to sort you out

pete.l
Cr4sy_1v4n

Post by Cr4sy_1v4n »

I know this post is a tad old guys, but i must say i have been using Hargates for years and found them to be top drawer. Never had a problem, to me the staff seem very helpful and always took the time to explain to me what was going on and why. They are my main dealer and service my bike for me always i would not go anywhere else. With everything in life we do not alwyas recive the same service.

\\Ivan//
Grow your own dope......Plant a Blonde
LotusSevenMan

Re: Beware Hartgate of Mitcham

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Dandare2 wrote:
I would also like to add that my girlfriend was going to have her CB-600S
Hornet serviced by yourselves and have the break pads renewed, however in
light of the half finished job that was done on my Firestorm she promptly
changed her mind.

Sorry to hear about all those problems. Sounds awful and I know from personal experience how frustrating it is when YOU know there's a problem and THEY say there isn't!!

May I kindly suggest that if letters are to be forwarded you edit the text to say 'brake' pads and the "to hearing from hearing" bit?
Good luck.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

VTR1000KAZ,

lol :lol: :lol:

read this a few times and only just got what you where saying (even with the red text), my god my brain don't work like it used to. :)

Not had the pm yet or the massage. :wink:

Del.
smf_12

Post by smf_12 »

I am honestly shocked in readign this thread :!:

I have been using hartgates for many years now and many of my friends do too. Not once have we experianced any problems from them!

I know the whole team very well in there and they always seem to be doing a very good job whilst i am down there!

And if you people wouldnt like to return to hartgates, then try SGT motorcycles down the road in wimbledon. There a good bunch in there too apart from one of them lol. there number is 0208 540 0889.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

If you look closely you'll see this rant is 4 years old, they might have got their act together buy now.
Rich.