Stick coil conversion

Moderator: VTRDark

Ckennedy

Stick coil conversion

Post by Ckennedy »

Does anyone have the CBR stick coils and loom ready to fit to the storm? Something I have been meaning to do for ages.

Let me know if you can help

Chris
AMCQ46

Re: Stick coil conversion

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sorry Chris, I dont have any spare, but wanted to ask a question on the same subject so thought I might do a mild thread hijack :D

can all those people who have done this mod already remember if any of their stick coils sounded like the internals were loose when you shook them?

I had the back cam cover off when I was checking the CCTs and when I removed the rear coil and shook it in the axial direction [ie the direction of the sparkplug].........it clunks like the steel core is slightly loose. Checked the front one and it is better, but still a slight clunk, so I wanted to know if this is normal or a sign of pending failure.

cheers guys

oh and use this as a free BUMP for Chris :wink:
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:Sorry Chris, I dont have any spare, but wanted to ask a question on the same subject so thought I might do a mild thread hijack :D

can all those people who have done this mod already remember if any of their stick coils sounded like the internals were loose when you shook them?

I had the back cam cover off when I was checking the CCTs and when I removed the rear coil and shook it in the axial direction [ie the direction of the sparkplug].........it clunks like the steel core is slightly loose. Checked the front one and it is better, but still a slight clunk, so I wanted to know if this is normal or a sign of pending failure.

cheers guys

oh and use this as a free BUMP for Chris :wink:
mine are in a cupboard waiting to go on the next build, i'll give them a shake in a mo and get back to you al..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Mine are solid no noise at all .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote:Mine are solid no noise at all .
that was my worry, lets see what others report before i buy some new ones..........in my head I think I can feel the occasional missing power pulse especially round 4k rpm [its like hitting the foot pegs with a small hammer!] , so that is why I am worried about the coil.............but on the other side there was no obvious signs of problems on the dyno!!!!!!!
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Well if you need a new set then if you find a set of four I'll go halves with you :thumbup: Then I just need the wiring loom.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

both of my stick coils have movement inside of then al, and they were working fine when I took them off last winter.... :thumbup:
i'd say yours are fine.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't know if mine rattle. :confused

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

agentpineapple wrote:both of my stick coils have movement inside of then al, and they were working fine when I took them off last winter.... :thumbup:
i'd say yours are fine.
cheers Marty............although I am not totaly assured by you saying they have been on your bike therefore it is fine..........you were happy with the bike with 180 error on timing :lol:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:both of my stick coils have movement inside of then al, and they were working fine when I took them off last winter.... :thumbup:
i'd say yours are fine.
cheers Marty............although I am not totaly assured by you saying they have been on your bike therefore it is fine..........you were happy with the bike with 180 error on timing :lol:
hahahaha if theres one thing forum members need to know about me is, I don't know what i'm doing or talking about...... :lol:

in my defence my bike had been tinkered with to get around the so called 6.5k rev issue with a bike being 180 out, the bike would redline without any problems... :confused
so that's why I ruled out that problem, at least I can advise people who now come across this problem.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

with a bike being 180 out, the bike would redline without any problems... :confused
Yeh it just took forever to get there or is that because it's Blue. :lol:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
with a bike being 180 out, the bike would redline without any problems... :confused
Yeh it just took forever to get there or is that because it's Blue. :lol:

ferk off you......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

stop hijacking my original hijack.

so who else has a clonking coil? :lol:
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:stop hijacking my original hijack.

so who else has a clonking coil? :lol:
you might need a doctor to take a look at that al........... :thumbdown:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!