What bike next...

General Bike chat
Ckennedy

What bike next...

Post by Ckennedy »

Some of you will have read in the sales section that my storm is up for sale :( I love her to bits but me and the missus just can not get on with her touring and after our trip to France (which were still on) we have decided we want to do more touring but need to do it on a different bike.

I realise that there are not a lot of bikes out there that can match the storms character and sheer amazingness but I shall have to live with that. I need something that is more for touring that a sports bike. But it still needs to be lots of fun in the corners and give me a good grin. No matter what I get next it will not compare to the storm for the fun factor. I know everyones views are different when it cones to bikes but I shall ask anyway.... What should I look into next?

It needs to be fully faired, good torque and power, hard luggage, a good fun factor and able to do loads of miles on. I have always fancied a st 1050. Like the look of them and heard many great things but are they as good as that? I am yet to sit on one or ride one so my view could well change. I have never ridden an il4 and can not imagin myself doing so after have twins which is why I thought about the st. Ok its a tripple but it still has a good amount of torque and a better top end than the storm.

I don't fancy a varadaro, can't stand the sight of them. But what could you recommend or have in you top touring/fun bike and why? And no I can not afford 2 bikes or I would keep the storm.
popkat

Re: What bike next...

Post by popkat »

Yamaha FZ1 Fazer, the later one 2006 onwards but don't get an 06, go for an 08 onwards if you can (sorted fuelling), hard luggage available, bolt an end can on and it livens them up a fair bit, std suspension pretty good with a few tweaks of the adjusters, I know it's only half faired but you don't need any more although lots come up for sale with genuine yam fairing lowers. the engine is an IL4 but it's got character, plenty of grunt and big power if you want it. I had one new in 09, looked at a sprint 1050 too but the yam easily won me over, I really regret having to sell that bike and would love another one day A contract finished and I had no work, put it up for sale and a mate bought it (still has it) then a few weeks later found work and wouldn't have needed to sell it, but too late then :( Fantastic bike.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I had wondered about the fazer. They do look alright but have always been unsure about them. Think its just cause its an il4 though. Did you ever carry pillion on it with full luggage? Did it change your riding position due to pillions position with luggage at there feet.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Totally agree about the later Fazer. Awesome bike.
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
adyf

Post by adyf »

Really sorry to hear you're selling the storm mate ,but I understand and might sell mine yet ,I fancy a BMW 1100 rs boxer twin ,luggage ,heated grips ,etc but have a sportyish style ,might suit you aswell,enjoy France hope to see you soon ,all the best ,ady.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I took my daughter out on it a lot and the missus a few times, with givi rack and large topbox.. the rear shock is really good for this, when riding solo it's a little bit frim, but not jarring or uncomfortable, just sporty if you like, the plus side is that it copes with pilions and luggage really well. Pilions say it's good, my daughter has since said it was her favourite bike. No problems with feet position plenty of room. I didn't tour on it but my mate who owns it now went to Germany a couple of years ago and Spain this year fully loaded and still loves the bike.

The engine is really good, go have a test ride, it's not a bland IL4. Muted with the standard can but something a bit throatier is cheap and easy to fit, no need to mess with fuelling either just fit a can and go. I had a power commander on mine but me mate didn't want it for some reason so I sold it separate then rode it and could hardly tell any difference, they run fine without fuelling mods.

Yamaha have reduced the new price now, £9400 I think.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

GSX1400........... :thumbup:
43000+ miles on mine from new, never let me down. full givi luggage kit. two up, pulls like a train, large tank giving an average of 160+ to the tank. Is a very forgiving bike but can still hang out with the sports bikes when needed... :wink:
Well worth thinking about. Some nice low mileage one's on the market.
darkember

Post by darkember »

I still believe the FJ is a better bike than the Fazer
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Poplar: in regards to the fueling issues is it really an issue that you can feel with the running of the bike or just something for the perfectionist? Are the later models any good or better off with the later ones?

Aft: I saw a bloke on a BMW 1300 something or other at the ferry port and that was rather sporty but a touring bike. Looked smart I will admit and he was loaded with panniers and top box and missus. He said he used to have a st 1050 and loved in. In fact thinking about it he said he had 2.
popkat

Post by popkat »

FJ what ?, the 1200's an old clunker now, the FJR13 is a big heavy bike and much more touring biased but does have a good strong engine, rear shocks are soft, lots of people upgrade them as well as the forks, servicing can be costly and suspension linkages suffer if left (expensive job).

GSX1400, good bike but no fairing, and they can't hang with a sports bike :wink:

Back to the Fazer, the only small fly in the ointment is the 17 litre tank, but you can get 150 miles out of them riding steady, but which time you'd want a stop anyway if your on a long trip.
popkat

Post by popkat »

FJ what ?, the 1200's an old clunker now, the FJR13 is a big heavy bike and much more touring biased but does have a good strong engine, rear shocks are soft, lots of people upgrade them as well as the forks, servicing can be costly and suspension linkages suffer if left (expensive job).

GSX1400, good bike but no fairing, and they can't hang with a sports bike :wink:

Back to the Fazer, the only small fly in the ointment is the 17 litre tank, but you can get 150 miles out of them riding steady, but which time you'd want a stop anyway if your on a long trip.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Last edited by darkember on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Ckennedy wrote:Poplar: in regards to the fueling issues is it really an issue that you can feel with the running of the bike or just something for the perfectionist? Are the later models any good or better off with the later ones?
06 models had abrupt fuelling going back on the throttle, this was due to fuel cut (emissions). when the throttles closed the ecu cuts fuel then when you open the throttle again it squirts fuel in causing what feels like a jerk/stutter, if your smooth with the throttle it doesn't notice so much. it can be cured with an Ivans fuel cut eliminator (fce) which costs about £150, from 07 onwards they altered the transition and they are much smoother, there are quite a few 06 models on 07 plates which is why I said 08 onwards. in 2010 they altered the ecu again to make it even better, mine was an 09 and was fine. I serviced my old one earlier this year and it had a bit of this jerkiness, which it never had before, I sync'd the throttle bodies and it was good again.
scoobie_sore_paws

Post by scoobie_sore_paws »

how about a tiger 1050?
popkat

Post by popkat »

Whats your budget anyway ?