Problem with LED tail light

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nickcv

Problem with LED tail light

Post by Nickcv »

Just failed my MOT on account of the indicators interfering with my LED tail light. For some reason when I switch on the indicators the tail light flickers when they flash. I have not connected the inbuilt indicators and it's a problem that has only shown up now. Any ideas on how to fix things would be much appreciated.
Redthunder

Re: Problem with LED tail light

Post by Redthunder »

If they share a common earth most likely to be that. Check earthing points.
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

+1 definatley sounds like a poor earth.
Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

I'll have a go at running a new earth wire from the tail light to another point and take it from there.
Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

I'm still having issues with the electrics on my bike and haven't solved the initial problem. I've been all around the bike cleaning up connections and earthing points etc. I have noticed that even with the engine running I have a slight dimming of the lights etc when I activate things such as the horn and the indicators still cause the tail light and parking light to flutter, also the idiot lights dim. Revving the bike doesn't improve matters. I'm wondering if this is a sign that the R/R is on the way out.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Recently I had a very simular problem to you. I was under the impression that either my R/R was on the way or the battery was in need of replacement. My symptoms were dimming lights, resetting clocks, intermittant bad starting and dodgy indicators that caused the clock lights to dim when they lit.

For me I found that the battery lead was loose although when I was checking by hand it felt tight. My battery was tight against the cable so it didnt seem loose. I put a screwdriver onto it and had to turn it about 5 full turns to tighten. Since that all my electrical problems have disappeared :roll:

So give that a check and clean before going the R/R or new battery route.
Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

Since posting I've just fitted a set of LED indicators which appears to have solved the flashing rear light problem. For some reason with ordinary bulb type indicators there seems to be some kind of power drain going on.