GTX

General Bike chat
magnum

GTX

Post by magnum »

Hey just seen GTX 10/40 and GTX magnertech Think it's 5/40 for £12 4l in asda.
Would it be ok for the storm :?:
Last edited by magnum on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
lloydie

Re: GTX

Post by lloydie »

No .
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

magnum wrote:Hey just seen GTX 10/40 and GTX magnertech Think it's 5/40 for £12 4l.
Would it be ok for the storm :?:

Car oil.....no good mate I think. Your clutch wont like it at all.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
magnum

Post by magnum »

Never mind will grab sum for the car anyway.
chric

Post by chric »

No i wouldnt i know when i filled oil probally millions of litres bike oil was orderd in before we started makeing it our selfs
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

chric wrote:No i wouldnt i know when i filled oil probally millions of litres bike oil was orderd in before we started makeing it our selfs
Can we have an award in the next forum awards for the best ''late night probably drunk, makes no sense post of 2014'' award please...

:lol: :lol:

WTF Chric ???
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
macdee

Post by macdee »

MacV2 wrote:
chric wrote:No i wouldnt i know when i filled oil probally millions of litres bike oil was orderd in before we started makeing it our selfs
Can we have an award in the next forum awards for the best ''late night probably drunk, makes no sense post of 2014'' award please...

WTF Chric ???
:lol: :lol: :lol:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

makes no sense post
That's because he's from Barnsley where they miss out the odd word here and there in a sentence when talking. We're supposed to fill in the gaps. Oh and Chric also talks about people he knows as we all know them. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chric

Post by chric »

MacV2 wrote:

WTF Chric ???
I used to work in oil industry mac and normal say 10/40 car oil to bike oil was completly different.
We had to order it in in seperate ibc's.
Untill we started blending our selfs.so my awnser is no stick to bike oil
it will have a different additive make up i belive
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

________________the____________
________________ ____________
I used to work in oil industry mac

See what I mean :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

I spell how i talk and some times it dont come across correct :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I know mate :lol:

We all do it. It's just funny how peoples accents come across in how they write.

magnum

Post by magnum »

Being a Suffolk tractor driving bod I got the jist sorterrrrr oharrrr :wave:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Check the http://www.bobistheoilguy.com forum to find out about all this stuff. From what I gathered, unless it has friction modifiers (which 40-grade oils typically do not), it is ok for use in a bike (meaning it won't hurt your clutch). However, car oils are typically lower in ZDDP (the zinc-phosphorus high pressure additive which is so important in a shared sump set-up like a bike), so your shifting will likely suffer. Finally, 10w-40 oils are typically prone to shearing (especially if they are mineral) as they typically make use of viscosity improvers (long-chain molecules, whch get sheared by the gears in the tranny), so your 40-grade will be a 30-grade in no time. There are some decent automotive oils that can be used in bikes (such as the Castrol Edge 0W30, one made in Deutschland which is a borderline 40-grade and EXTREMELY robust). A cheap alternative is the Shell Rotella (may be marketed as Rimula on the Continent) 15W40 HDEO which is very robust and does an excellent job (cheap too). Read up gents and quit listening to the old wives' tales about oils......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
magnum

Post by magnum »

mik_str wrote:Check the http://www.bobistheoilguy.com forum to find out about all this stuff. From what I gathered, unless it has friction modifiers (which 40-grade oils typically do not), it is ok for use in a bike (meaning it won't hurt your clutch). However, car oils are typically lower in ZDDP (the zinc-phosphorus high pressure additive which is so important in a shared sump set-up like a bike), so your shifting will likely suffer. Finally, 10w-40 oils are typically prone to shearing (especially if they are mineral) as they typically make use of viscosity improvers (long-chain molecules, whch get sheared by the gears in the tranny), so your 40-grade will be a 30-grade in no time. There are some decent automotive oils that can be used in bikes (such as the Castrol Edge 0W30, one made in Deutschland which is a borderline 40-grade and EXTREMELY robust). A cheap alternative is the Shell Rotella (may be marketed as Rimula on the Continent) 15W40 HDEO which is very robust and does an excellent job (cheap too). Read up gents and quit listening to the old wives' tales about oils......
Getting all to complicated even in the tractor world lots of deffernt grads.
Engines getting more refined lots of eu rules on emissions etc.
All started on this ring free stuff now.(wait for the comments)