Starting Issues

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tam Cunningham

Starting Issues

Post by Tam Cunningham »

Jazzscot was so kind to come across the other day and have a wee gander at my starter as my Storm was sick!!! :sick:

It had a fully charged battery on it, it was rather cold as had been sat outside all night (poor bugger) but when I pressed the button it thought about it and then let out a painfull squeel!

The starter made the small trip over the border into hostile territory (Fife :Show elbow:) for a wee strip down and clean up and was returned this morning. Put back onto the bike and again, thought about it and then said "nah, can't be arsed" and squeeled at me again! Just like the Wife in fact!

I can only assume now that it may be the transfer gear going by what I've found on here. Seems do-able however I'm just thinking if anyone knows if it may be something else, slightly easier to rectify. It has NOT got manual CCT's on either so does that eliminate the possiblity of the tension here?

Any help/advise greatfully appreciated.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Starting Issues

Post by sirch345 »

I'm probably going to say what you or Jazz have already done or checked.

(1) Are you sure your battery is up to the job :?:

(2) Sometimes resistance can build up in the lead that goes to the starter motor, (I'm assuming the terminal bolt and connection is good since the starter motor has been of for a service) so have you tried using a h/duty jump lead direct to the starter live (+) terminal, by just holding the jump lead on the terminal long enough to start it (that is if it turns over of course) with the other end connected to the live (+) battery terminal.

Chris.
Tam Cunningham

Post by Tam Cunningham »

1: Original battery fresh off optimiser and brand new Lucas fully charged as well.

2: I haven't, unless Jazz did so? I know the starter was tested in this manner OFF the bike. Are you saying to try straight from the battery to the starter???
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Deffo not the starter as I had it stripped down cleaned an tested on the bench with a multimeter. Then rebuilt,greased and the bolt threads cleaned with a tap and die set.

All put back together and tested using a spare battery and jump leads. Starter turns over just fine.

My money is on the transfer gears from the starter to the sprag.

I also tried putting the bike in gear and moved it to make sure that the engine isn't seized or anything.

When you hit the starter motor you can almost hear half a pulse coming from the exhaust as if the piston is reaching the top on the exhaust cycle but it then starts the horrible rattle and nothing else happens.

Having never done the sprag transfer gears before I'm not sure how difficult it is to do.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Tam Cunningham

Post by Tam Cunningham »

Knew you'd be able to go into more detail than me on that lol!

I'm gonna read over thoroughly, the thread on this and look at pinning them together as a temp fix the now
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree it could well be the sprag clutch or something to do with it, I was just going over the simpler options before you start stripping the bike down first.
Are you saying to try straight from the battery to the starter???
Yes, but be careful not to touch the live jump lead clamp to earth (any part of the bike which is metal), if you do sparks will be flying and that will not do your new battery any good either. The idea behind using a jump lead direct to the live (+) terminal on the starter motor is, it bypasses the leads and starter solenoid that is used in the normal starting procedure. If you found the bike suddenly fired into life using that method your problem would then be from the starter motor back to the battery, not the sprag clutch.

If you've not already check the earth lead from the battery to the engine. Make sure you have a good clean connection and the bolts are done up tight.

If none of those show up anything carry on with your sprag clutch investigation which I see you are intending to do.

Chris.
Tam Cunningham

Post by Tam Cunningham »

It's just going to have to be a process of elimination.

I will start from the feed to the starter, I know Jazz looked at the starter itself but the feed to the starter may or may not be temperamental?

Then it will be into the sprag clutch/reduction gear itself with a view to replacing the gear itself initially.

Cheers for the input everyone :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All good advice. You definitely want to rule out any other possibilities before attacking the transfer gears.

Have read through some of tony.mons posts on transfer gears.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/search.ph ... mit=Search

or sprag clutch.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/search.ph ... mit=Search

On the plus side you have a nicely checked and serviced starter. Well done Jazz. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Oops, I meant to say well done Jazz :clap:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's the transfer gears, nothing else squeals. There's nothing visible and you can't make them turn when off the bike, but be kind and throw yours away instead of selling them on ebay!

It's actually not a difficult job, as long as you ignore the Haynes.
You have to remove the front cct, (set the engine to the correct TDC first- easiest way to find it is whip the rear cam cover off and set the rear one up then rotate the engine one and a quarter turns to line up the front one). Remove the alternator cover and alternator rotor(need a truck wheel bolt for this) then you can remove the lower cam tensioner blade bolt behind the alternator and just about get the transfer gears wiggled out through the gap you've created.
Oh and the transfer gears spindle pulls out with a magnet.

It's tight but do-able, and saves a lot of stripping my way.

Couple hours.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

need a truck wheel bolt for this
Or flywheel puller.

I think this will fit 22 x 1.5. Can someone conform please.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/puch-maxi-mop ... 3f30f0edf1

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:
need a truck wheel bolt for this
Or flywheel puller.

I think this will fit 22 x 1.5. Can someone conform please.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/puch-maxi-mop ... 3f30f0edf1

Yes, if it's M22 x 1.5 pitch.
But a wheel bolt was less than £3 inc VAT.
Unless you want to pull a Puch Maxi, Carl?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think pulling one is pushing it.

Gaggenau

Post by Gaggenau »

Glad I found this thread, mine is also squealing when starting, sometimes it will turn over fine and fire other times it squeals with the odd turn of the engine.

Will look at getting a new transfer gear......
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Gaggenau wrote:Glad I found this thread, mine is also squealing when starting, sometimes it will turn over fine and fire other times it squeals with the odd turn of the engine.

Will look at getting a new transfer gear......
Known good secondhand one, £10 plus 4.30 P+P with Hermes.
Any good to you?