Silencer Recommendations Sought.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
zanelad

Silencer Recommendations Sought.

Post by zanelad »

I am thinking about changing the standard silencers on my Firestorm for something a little more fruity and I am seeking advice from forum members as to what cans to buy.

I don't want anything too loud, my MOT tester turns a blind eye (or should that be ear) to pipes provided they're not stupidly loud. However, the bike is kept in a garage a little way from home and I don't want to p*ss of the people who live close to the garage as they keep an eye on the garage for me. They won;t appreciate being woken up early on a Sunday morning.

Metal finish please, not carbon and nothing too short as I don't like the look of stubby cans.

Ones that fit easily with no modifications would be best as well.

Finding something to suit should be easy :?

Any recommendations please?
Wicky

Re: Silencer Recommendations Sought.

Post by Wicky »

See what's available in the sales & wants / fleabay etc - Have a search on here for opinions or utube for chance of a sound clip. But its like choosing a musical instrument so you might want to try hearing different makes in person and the best way is to get along to one of the many VTR meet-ups this summer (don't forget to bring your earplugs ;-) . P.S. Beware of seemingly glitzy chinese gear that can be of poor quality.

Have you considered performing a bafflectomy?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

+1 to what Wicky said.

If you're going to either the workshop day or the Yorkshire run next month, ask around while you're there and listen to different peoples' bikes. Videos online never do the exhausts any justice.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
zanelad

Post by zanelad »

Wicky wrote:See what's available in the sales & wants / fleabay etc - Have a search on here for opinions or utube for chance of a sound clip. But its like choosing a musical instrument so you might want to try hearing different makes in person and the best way is to get along to one of the many VTR meet-ups this summer (don't forget to bring your earplugs ;-) . P.S. Beware of seemingly glitzy chinese gear that can be of poor quality.

Have you considered performing a bafflectomy?
I've seen a couple in the for sale, but as a new boy I cannot do anything until my post count is sufficient.

I want to keep the original cans, original should I ever decide to sell the bike, Unlikely as the V twin thing is getting to me.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But its like choosing a musical instrument
I like that analogy.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

All cans will do the job sweetly. Just avoid the Art cans & probably the stubby Delcavics. :lol: :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

And the short pipewerx :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

once i receive a large box from the pineapple emporium ….. :D ……...i should have a set of low level Viper oval aluminium pipes up for sale. They come with link pipes, straps and with dB killers that you can fit to take the noise down.

I will work out a price if you are interested
AMcQ
zanelad

Post by zanelad »

AMCQ46 wrote:once i receive a large box from the pineapple emporium ….. :D ……...i should have a set of low level Viper oval aluminium pipes up for sale. They come with link pipes, straps and with dB killers that you can fit to take the noise down.

I will work out a price if you are interested
I am interested, price depending of course.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looking for 120 plus postage if you are interested.

i don't like polished ally so i have them flatted down to a matt effect using a plastic scouring pad, they should also polish up if you have the elbow grease to do it. they won't come with the carbon straps, i am keeping them, they will come with the standard stainless steel ones, but you will need to get new rubber liners for them as I cut them up to fit under the carbon straps :(
AMcQ
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

I’m running 350mm (14”) Delkavics. They’re oval CF but also come in SS.
They sound good to me and the quality is spot on.
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
zanelad

Post by zanelad »

AMCQ46 wrote:looking for 120 plus postage if you are interested.
i don't like polished ally so i have them flatted down to a matt effect using a plastic scouring pad, they should also polish up if you have the elbow grease to do it. they won't come with the carbon straps, i am keeping them, they will come with the standard stainless steel ones, but you will need to get new rubber liners for them as I cut them up to fit under the carbon straps :(
They look nice,a couple of questions please:-

How noisy are they, baffles in and out please?

When will they be available?

What is the circumference of the cans please. So I can order some straps if we agree terms.

How about £120 delivered, well, you've got to ask.... :D

Thanks, Clive.
zanelad

Post by zanelad »

Kev L,

Thanks for the pm, sorry but I cannot reply to you yet. Gotta get those post counts up.... :)

Clive.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

zanelad wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:looking for 120 plus postage if you are interested.
They look nice,a couple of questions please:-

How noisy are they, baffles in and out please?

When will they be available?

What is the circumference of the cans please. So I can order some straps if we agree terms.

How about £120 delivered, well, you've got to ask.... :D

Thanks, Clive.
Clive,
nice try, but they are already a bargain and there is another member also interested, so still 120 PLUS post [or you can collect].

how loud? they are race cans so you would never call them quiet, but I run them without baffles all the time [but I do wear ear plugs]. with the baffles in they would be OK for track days, but still louder than a stock can. I would say with the baffles in they are similar noise to a stock pipe with the baffles removed [bafflectomy].

you wont need new straps, it is just the rubbers that go underneath like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-EX ... 3f338b3b93
AMcQ
zanelad

Post by zanelad »

Go on then, I'll take them. £120 + postage.

I can receive PMs so if you send me details of how you want paying (bank transfer preferred) , but Paypal or cheque will be OK and I'll sort out the money.

If you include your e-mail address in the PM I'll be able to reply less publicly...

Are they available now, or do you need to wait for their replacements to arrive?

Thanks

Clive