Jet washing--a cautionary tale

General Bike chat
carpkisser

Jet washing--a cautionary tale

Post by carpkisser »

I jet washed mine the other day. At first glance it looked like the droplets of water were collecting between the radiator fins, making them appear bent out of shape. On closer inspection they had been bent out of shape! This was of course caused by the water pressure. I obviously got too close but I was actually at least 10 feet away. Never realised they were that delicate!

There are definitely no leaks & so far it seems to be cooling as efficiently as before. I'll see how it goes over time. My own daft fault but hopefully this will stop anyone else making the same mistake.
darkember

Re: Jet washing--a cautionary tale

Post by darkember »

You can get a plastic blade and gently prise them apart.
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

I'll give that a try--many thanks.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've spent the odd fun filled evening with a craft knife straightening the fins on a rad or two, BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but at least once it's done you know it's done properly.... :thumbup:
many moons ago I was a car valeter, I know what damage can be done with a pressure washer..... :eek2
also try not to get to close to areas were you might force the grease out, like wheel bearings, chain, and so on, also its worth covering some of the electrics if you are really going to town on it.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Use a plastic nit comb to straighten the fins, ya now the ones ya mum used when you were a kid :thumbup:
Secondly don't use a jet wash for your bike, as mentioned above they can cause a lot of problems, use a garden hose pipe with a shower head head :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jet/power washers can safely used on a bike.

It's the angel of attack you have to be worried about.

Don't use on full power & don't spray at right angels to the target area.

Yes they can strip decals/stickers & force water past seals but if your careful with them they are OK.

Having said that you cant beat a bucket of hot soapy water & a tooth brush if your really, really anal about it.

For top tips on cleaning your bike contact Tony Mons with his in-depth 'How to wipe the grime off your motorbike lecture.'
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

step one............
use rugby shirt.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

MacV2 wrote:
Having said that you cant beat a bucket of hot soapy water & a tooth brush'
Like I said, just don't use a jet wash in the first place :confused
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

+ 1 on what kev said

in the wrong hands and pointed in the wrong places a jet wash will do more long term harm than any other tool in your shed.......... use a bucket + brush and keep the jet wash for the block paving
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote:+ 1 on what kev said

in the wrong hands and pointed in the wrong places a jet wash will do more long term harm than any other tool in your shed.......... use a bucket + brush and keep the jet wash for the block paving
Thats a no no to Al. Get in between the blocks & washes the sand away from under them resulting in wonky blocks.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I got one of those rotary spray head fittings for the kartcher washer, and it is great for blocks..... it hasn't blasted out the sand, but did clean up the surfaces and didn't spray the crap all over the operator
AMcQ
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I have a cheap and nasty jet wash that has the power of a super hose pipe, I would never use a full power jet wash on a bike tho.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I tried a jet wash once, I had a bugger of a job trying to reach the windscreen...
chric

Post by chric »

running hose and watering can job done or jetwash set at a wide angle if your washer can do very wide like mine.
It's all in the chemical use :Coke: not the power of the water
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You lot are talking botox. I have just wasted an afternoon trying to beat a bucket of soapy water with a toothbrush.
The bike looks just as dirty as before. Not sure my toothbrush is fit for purpose any longer, either- it'll have to be just a swig of Steradent until i can get to the shops.

The local petrol station has a jet wash- but the entrance is TINY- you'd never fit the wings through , and I think the tail would snag on the canopy on the way through as well.
Anything designed to wash jets should really only be used on jets, IMHO.

I tried one of those topless bike washes, but I'd only got as far as taking my tank top off, and some idiot wiped their bike clean with it.
I didn't bother taking the tee shirt off.

I'll just leave it dirty. If it gets too dirty I'll build a cleaner one out of spares, it's easier.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.