Brake disc specs, replacement and compatibility

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Neophyte

Brake disc specs, replacement and compatibility

Post by Neophyte »

I've got some front brake disc questions for those who are very familiar with the 'Storm's brakes.

1. What is the thickness of a new disc? I know that minimum is 3.5mm
2. When replacing, is the complete unit including the 'centre spokes' replaced or is it just the outer discs portion.
3. What type of metal are these discs made from?
3. What other Honda's, if any, use the same discs?

My main reason for asking questions 2 and 3 is to look into the feasibility of having new discs laser cut instead of paying an arm and a leg for new ones. I'll have them cut about 1-2mm thicker than standard and then have them skimmed to the right thickness.

Here in South Africa new ones from Honda will cost me the equivilant of about 550-600 pounds for the pair. I should be able to have them made up for about 60-70 pounds. Now, that's a huge difference!
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Hi there, i'm not a complete expert, but had to replace both front discs last year.

TBH, Honda charge about the same over here in the UK, i plummed for aftermarket replacements, and bought a complete set of Wavey's, (front & rear) for approx £275.00, they came complete with discs, carriers, and pads, for all 3. (and look nicer too)

Couldnt tell you what the thickness was, and as far as i'm aware the standard discs (i think) are shared only with the CBR600. (could be wrng though....

i looked into making a set up, but was gonna work out no cheaper than buying my replcements....

Hope that helps....
Max

Post by Max »

1. according to the pdf file page 15.1 the thickness is 4.4 - 4.6 mm
2. when mine were replaced with prolites the centres came already connected. If you could get the bobbins i cant see why you couldnt replace the outers only.
3. the centres are made from alloy on my new ones the original honda one were steel i think (check these for damage from disk locks as mine collapsed)
4. when i was looking for disks there was a honda 600 with the same part number for prolites but it was to upgrade the 600 to floating disks as the ones on it were solid. I couldnt find another with the same numbers
W@zzA

discs

Post by W@zzA »

There are loads other Honda models (VFR's, CBR's, Hornet's....) that use the same discs its just a case of cross reference the part numbers, try an after market disc manufacturers website. I know someone makes replacement rotor kits that comes with new bobbins so you use your old carriers (centers)

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.