Thought about this but not sure

General Bike chat
Stu9

Thought about this but not sure

Post by Stu9 »

99/00 tiger 855 (or was it a 955 christ I'm not sure need to check) But too top heavy for me I think, really good bike very smooth but nearly dropped a few times due the weight when turning or moving slow with traffic. I though the front tyre was a bit flat then thought head bearings were overtight but it's the way it is. It's a 99/00 from a dealer I said I'd think about, I will but the top heaviness is scaring me
lloydie

Re: Thought about this but not sure

Post by lloydie »

All that sort of bike is top heavy .
If you get one you'll have to change the way you ride to accommodate it
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great engine but to tall and top heavy. as said most adventure bikes are the same . not all but most
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

yep +1 on those coments.a friend baught a tiger in the spring.he thought it was ok on the test ride,he hated it after a few weeks.sold it 2 months later.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I looked at one. They get very tatty. The aluminium cases corrode and the paint drops off.

Only ever ridden a 1050 and was unimpressed. Neither the wizz of an il4 nor the grunt of a v twin. A rather boring halfway house.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Buy an old Multistrada instead. I did. Sooo much character. Dodgy electrics, questionable idle, fugly. What more could you want?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

lloydie wrote:All that sort of bike is top heavy .
If you get one you'll have to change the way you ride to accommodate it
I guess they are, I s#%^t it pulling away from the shop then turning right, I got about half mile away and stopped to check the front tyre for air :lol: then flicked it on the side stand to give the steering a wiggle for tightness...all was ok, it was the way it was as you say. After about 5ish miles I just (just) started to kinda handle and get into it.

Yea they're seeming very good engines, this one quite rattly/tappety so if (and is only IF) I went for it I'd want them checked but overall a good clean looked after bike...but how long would I keep it :oops: :lol: :roll:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i had a brand new 03 Tiger 955i. It looked weird to be honest, had ridiculously soft forks, and it caught fire at a set of traffic lights. The garage who sold it me 3 X Motorcycles sent me a letter 3 days later that a recall was going to be issued where the fuel tank connections may leak and cause possible fires. I had to take it in to them. Total twats. I did get my money back, never bought a Triumph again.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I've not heard of that but I'll agree on the soft forks I noticed that but then stronger springs sorts that

Still prefer the looks of the xt660x though
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Buy an old Multistrada instead. I did. Sooo much character. Dodgy electrics, questionable idle, fugly. What more could you want?
Now tell us about the bike :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Pete.L wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote:Buy an old Multistrada instead. I did. Sooo much character. Dodgy electrics, questionable idle, fugly. What more could you want?
Now tell us about the bike :wink:
Hmmm, I'm really not sure. Either the tyres are crap or it's just a function of leaves on the road or a strange suspension setup but the handling ain't wonderful. It DOES have a certain presence. People hear the rattling clutch from a way off. The detailing is nice though.

Getting on the damn thing takes planning. I'm quite tall but getting a leg over without leaving boot rubber on shiny red plastic is a lesson in concentration.

It's not as fast as the storm. Past three figures you can tell the difference. It isnt as smooth. Below 3 or 4 it hunts and surges. But.... It's comfy. It has the "gel" seat and the upright riding position, behind a small fairing, is relaxing. I'm still not sure if it's a keeper. But, with the R6 tucked up next to a radiator in the kitchen and the Storm being slowly divested of bits in the lounge it's what I'm riding at the mo.