Jota bars

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
laverda99

Jota bars

Post by laverda99 »

Hi all,
I recently joined the VTR club with a 98 yellow one. It came with Renthal bars which were cute but really too wide (32") for threading London traffic, which I spend a lot of time doing. Rather than putting the original clipons back, I got myself a pair of Jota bars off eBay and fitted them, and I'm very pleased with the result, comfort and looks are both good for me and I can get through smaller gaps.
Also I have put the original mirrors back on rather than the bar - end ones that came with the Rentals. Finding them a bit buzzy and offering mostly a view of my arms - is this normal?
The untidy wiring is the hook up for my Gerbing electric gloves (well recommended btw)
Pics here:
https://goo.gl/photos/my7ZajNzMHamweCKA
MacV2

Re: Jota bars

Post by MacV2 »

Different I'll give you that... :lol:

Std mirrors will give you a nice veiw of your elbows as standard with the normal bars. By putting those bars on I guess you are sitting up more so making it worse.

You can get 'mirror' extenders which are made & sold by one of our members...see here...http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 93#p280074

How ever you will have to clock up 50 posts to be able to reply to adds in sale & wants...Unless BSAbloke sees this & contacts you... :wink:

As for the mirrors being vibey...Maybe your bike needs a carb sync as it being out of sync can cause vibes...or they are not genuine Honda mirros, std ones don't vibe that much...

There are some other factors to consider as well, being a big throbing V twin VTR's are vibey, with that in mind Honda put various anti vibe mesures in place...The std bars have BIG internal weights & the bar ends to cut down vibes in the bars...You haven't got std bars...

Also there are anti vibe weights in the clock bracket, I can see in your photo's that the plugs are still in the ends so I can only assume that the weights are still in there...but the faring has been cut to buggery to accomodate the high bars this may well have an affect on the mirrors stability....just a thought...

Mac
Last edited by MacV2 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Same bars that are on kermit .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

interesting...... but looking at the photos the previous owner has decided to raise the forks through the yokes to stop them hitting the bars, so I imagine that it turns in a bit slower than normal, you may want to drop them as far as you can to get some more weight onto the front wheel and also steepen the geometry at the front.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:
As for the mirrors being vibey...Maybe your bike needs a carb sync as it being out of sync can cause vibes...or they are not genuine Honda mirros, std ones don't vibe that much...

Mac
Your mirrors look like they could be early Yamaha R1 or R6 mirrors to me, a modification some carried out on the Storms before mirror extenders were more readily available. The Yam mirrors are lighter than the Honda ones, so as Mac points out, may vibrate more,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote:
MacV2 wrote:

Mac
Your mirrors look like they could be early Yamaha R1 or R6 mirrors to me, a modification some carried out on the Storms before mirror extenders were more readily available. The Yam mirrors are lighter than the Honda ones, so as Mac points out, may vibrate more,

Chris.
Indeed dindn't spot that...Having tried R1 mirrors I can confirm they do indeed vibrate more than stock ones...In fact after all the effort I went to in getting them to fit, having ridden with them once they came straight off. Yeah bit wider so better veiw but so vibey as to make them usless...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tidy looking bike you have sir... iv flat bars on mine and with the mirror extenders i can see every police car behind me fine?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Not relevant (really? Jamie posting non relevant content?!)...

But does your name share any relation to these bars? It's freaking me out! :lol:
Jamie :wave:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

laverda99 wrote:Hi all,
I recently joined the VTR club with a 98 yellow one. It came with Renthal bars which were cute but really too wide (32") for threading London traffic, which I spend a lot of time doing. Rather than putting the original clipons back, I got myself a pair of Jota bars off eBay and fitted them, and I'm very pleased with the result, comfort and looks are both good for me and I can get through smaller gaps.
Also I have put the original mirrors back on rather than the bar - end ones that came with the Rentals. Finding them a bit buzzy and offering mostly a view of my arms - is this normal?
The untidy wiring is the hook up for my Gerbing electric gloves (well recommended btw)
Pics here:
https://goo.gl/photos/my7ZajNzMHamweCKA
Aaaah. Someone with those weird bits of aluminium inboard of the rubber of the grips. I have them on a bike and I cannot understand what they are for. Can you enlighten me?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
laverda99

Post by laverda99 »

I used to ride Laverdas a lot (standard Jota 1000, Motodd mono shock 1200, RGS1000) hence the handle, used for eBay etc too!
X
Steve
laverda99

Post by laverda99 »

Yes, I find the weird bits of aluminium annoying too, no grip at all. All I can say is they came with the bike and might not last too long! Quite cute though.
X
Steve
laverda99

Post by laverda99 »

Here's the link for the bars btw, in case anyone else is interested, quite a snip at £49.99
http://shop.tecbikeparts.com/products/a ... s-ace-bars
I am finding the riding position absolutely spot on - I'm an old bloke and can't do clipons any more.
X
Steve
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

laverda99 wrote:Yes, I find the weird bits of aluminium annoying too, no grip at all. All I can say is they came with the bike and might not last too long! Quite cute though.
X
Steve
Same here. No grip and they ain't staying!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sorry but to me they look like a Fat Bird, Comfy but not good to look at. :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

bigtwinthing wrote:sorry but to me they look like a Fat Bird, Comfy but not good to look at. :lol:
Not comfy at all. You only have your three outside finger to work the throttle. Index and thumb slip; or, in my case, the bloody aluminium sleeve rotates as well. They suck like a very sucky thing.