wrote off

General Biker Banter
breakerm

wrote off

Post by breakerm »

so my bike will be wrote off after having a little battle with a tipper lorry..... the lorry won......

but not too much damage (engine case, front fairings, indiators, mirrors,levers etc)..was thinking of buying it back from the insurance depending how much they offer me..

how much would an engine be worth 25,000 miles serviced regular?
or
What sort of value would you say it was worth?? selling it as a whole bike? £700??

any info would be good
VTR Phoenix

Re: wrote off

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Few things to bear in mind.

Is it still rideable?
What repairs would need doing?
Being a cat C/D reduces the resale value.

Buy back varies on original condition, market value payout and what you had it valued at when you took your insurance out.

If you cant get it back for less than £400 I wouldn't bother unless you plan on keeping it and it will be fairly cheap to get it back on the road.

If you were to sell on then given haven't seen pictures of damage I would expect around £600-£800
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cat c/d won't effect the value much as it's a cheap older bike in the first place, you should be able to buy it back for under £300, although it depends on the insurance company, be careful with the front end as it's easy to damage even tho it might look ok. if you want it as a project or to sell the parts it's worth buying back, but I wouldn't pay more than £500 for it as a whole, fairings and paint alone cost a lot to repair. maybe it could be street fightered.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Sir-knob-head

Post by Sir-knob-head »

You used to be able to haggle about the price

But I'd go with 400 tops. Unless it holds more value to you

Catagorised bikes don't seem to be so badly hit on resale value although it dies knock it these days

It's all about what it's worth to you ...
Idiots exist everywhere
Doesn't mean you have to argue with them

Live to ride. Ride to live
breakerm

Post by breakerm »

cheers for the info fellas

what sort of money do you think an engine could be sold for?? obviously the most expensive thing on the bike ...

and what money do you think a breakers would offer me if i sold it to them?

im not really up for fixing it myself as i aint to clever with that sort of thing so am just trying to get a few extra quid in the pot for the new bike

in other words is there any one who would be willing to buy it on here and fix it them selves at the cost of the insurance and maybe a drink on top for me??
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I bought mine back...£70 it was.

Engine... I've sold two on here both £600 IIRC. 20K & 16K...I think.

First off wait till you get the price they offer & if they havent got it already don't let them take it as collection & storage costs will be added.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Engine £300

Breaker would offer you practically nothing for it. wouldn't go down that route.

If you buy it back, just stick it on the bay with a starting price of £50 more than what you bought it back for as that will cover your costs. Rest is gravy as they say.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If it's your insurance company paying out if you were fully comp - sometimes you can chat to the visiting inspector/engineer that you want to fix it up yourself and they'll agree the damages to be just under the write-off threshold and pay you out accordingly. This avoids the buying back hassle, getting the bike reinspected etc. Worked for me after mine was cosmetically 'written-off' when simply knocked over. Got my cheque and fixed it up for a couple of hundred in parts & materials - when the estimate for repairs quotes for new Honda parts at Honda prices :eek2 and labour @£50 prer hour. Easily undercut if you DIY.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

an average engine would be 250 to 300, if it's low mileage and known to be spot on then 450, some of the engine prices on ebay are stupid money and I doubt they sell,
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

agentpineapple wrote:an average engine would be 250 to 300, if it's low mileage and known to be spot on then 450, some of the engine prices on ebay are stupid money and I doubt they sell,
+1 :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if you do buy it back any aftermarket parts will sell on here easy enough. we all love sparkly bits lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i'm looking for something for the track if it is salvageable
breakerm

Post by breakerm »

StuartWags wrote:i'm looking for something for the track if it is salvageable

it is easy to fix for the track just the engine case on right side, front wheel is scuffed and a couple of levers....

And if you wanted to put race fairings on it or could just leave what is it on it now few scuffs, scratches not broken or cracked..

engine is sound as a pound and its had a dyno jet kit put on it too

if you want the history of the bike it was Lee vtr's bike

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 04#p322804

I will let you know once i hear from insurance if you want
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

breakerm wrote:

it is easy to fix for the track just the engine case on right side, front wheel is scuffed and a couple of levers....

And if you wanted to put race fairings on it or could just leave what is it on it now few scuffs, scratches not broken or cracked..

OK please consider this as a serious offer. I would also be interested in any spare you have
breakerm

Post by breakerm »

StuartWags wrote:
breakerm wrote:

OK please consider this as a serious offer. I would also be interested in any spare you have

PM matey