Squealing brakes and Chinese fairings.

General Bike chat
Sir-Doris

Squealing brakes and Chinese fairings.

Post by Sir-Doris »

Hi all.
I don't post very often but have been a member for a couple of years.

I would just like to say thanks. I've had a horrendous brake squeal, started towards the end of last year. Generally only under light braking and slower speeds.
I changed brake pads, chamfered the edges of the pads, copper greased everything and silicone greased the sliders. Pistons removed and cleaned. Still squealing.

Well I got fed up and rode it like that for ages until last night I decided to have a browse on here. 2 posts in a couple of different topics suggested putting a bolt and nut through the bobbins on the discs and turning them.

Well I did that on one bobbin and it was stiff as a stiff thing. So... I got a 3/8ths impact gun and drove the bolt with that. A couple of impacts and the bobbin was spinning freely. I repeated this on both discs and found them all to be stuck. Took the old girl out for a spin and presto, silent brakes again.

It doesn't get around the fact that I still need new brake discs but that can wait until next year.

I also ordered some injection molded fairings from China last week. I ordered a complete kit so all the panels match. The tank may be a different shade but I guess I'll just have to live with that.
I'll keep you all posted on how they fit and the colour match etc if anyone's interested.

Thank you forum :thumbup:
Last edited by Sir-Doris on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink Port and I'm not ashamed to say it.
Kev L

Re: Squealng brakes and Chinese fairings.

Post by Kev L »

Have you gone for a straight colour or a race rep set?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Sir-Doris

Post by Sir-Doris »

Straight colour and having read many posts on the forum I have to come clean. It's a yellow one.

The fairings on the bike are OK. Just scuffed and the usual 18 years of wear and tear. When they're off the bike and the new ones are fitted I'll repair/repaint them.
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Good colour choice :thumbup: :beer:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

did they give you the choice of new or old yellow? will be interested to see how good the colour match is
AMcQ
Sir-Doris

Post by Sir-Doris »

Ah, good question but if the pictures are to be believed I reckon it looks closer to the earlier darker shade.
Always difficult to tell from a picture on a screen though.

Having said that, I think my fairings are quite faded anyway. The vtr sticker on the left side panel started peeling so I pulled it off both sides so they matched. The yellow underneath was definitely a shade or 2 darker.

Mines a '98 model.

Have decided to go with plain gloss black vinyl decals on the side fairings and tailpiece. Should work OK with the gloss black lower.

I'll just touch up the tank as it only has 1 or 2 minor chips.

Doubt the fairings will be the pearl effect paint. Not a big deal as with the paint fade the pearl effect seems to be less noticeable anyway.

Speaking of stickers, I've noticed some have the Honda wings on the tank and firestorm on the side panels and some (like mine) have firestorm on the tank and vtr on the side panels. Any significance in that?
macdee

Post by macdee »

after 2001 the bike have some slight changes Dash/larger tank /decals plus some others
told you not to but oh no you knew better
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great colour choice :thumbup: . get the pics up when you get them, will be interesting to see how they turn out.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote:great colour choice :thumbup: . get the pics up when you get them, will be interesting to see how they turn out.
Will we have to squint ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... gaffe.html
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

I too will be interested in the colour match and fit of these chinese fairings ! Mine has scuffs down the left hand side fairing where it looks like it's fell over or dropped at very low speed.
Mine is the same fast colour as yours! :D
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

In for the fairing updates. Im intrigued as to how good the fitment is
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

I find my brakes can start to squeel if its slightly damp but not wet. I used to put it down them just being glazed and not bedded in as good as they could be so ignored it... but its does become embarrasing when your bikes looking and sounding on point and you come to a stop and a few people are looking at you and then the brakes squeel. Not a good look
Sir-Doris

Post by Sir-Doris »

Will update the post when they arrive. Think they've been despatched now so should be here in a week or 2.

The brake squeal was doing my head in! It was only lighter braking that caused it and it set my teeth on edge. Was like fingernails on a blackboard.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

ConTRo13R wrote:I find my brakes can start to squeel if its slightly damp but not wet. I used to put it down them just being glazed and not bedded in as good as they could be so ignored it... but its does become embarrasing when your bikes looking and sounding on point and you come to a stop and a few people are looking at you and then the brakes squeel. Not a good look
Open your mouth and look excited.
They'll think it's you, and the bike won't be so embarrassed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.