Wets on a track day?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
almightytomo

Wets on a track day?

Post by almightytomo »

Just done a trackday at Cadwell Park where over 80% of people from the "Novices" :roll: to the Fast group were using Wets.

Anyone on here got much experience of them? Are they any good?

A couple of people came flying past me but most didn't, in the inters group. I need to replace my rear tyre but is it worth me getting a spare set of wheels and wets? (Like most my budget is limited, very limited! :thumbup:
lloydie

Wets on a track day?

Post by lloydie »

From what I've been told when it's wet use wets .
I was given a set of wets by big Chris last year but I gave them to ck as I picked up a set of wheels with wets on .
Now I have a spare set of storm wheels with wets on that I won't be using due to fitting a rsv front end .
If you want a set of wheels with wets you can have them for what I paid £120 collected (no rear disc ,front discs are ebc and are untested)
Miztaziggy

Re: Wets on a track day?

Post by Miztaziggy »

Simple answer yes, get them.

Don't use tyre warmers on them or you'll melt them. Tyre warmers go to about 80 or 90 degrees unless you got the really pricey ones. Wets should only be heated to 40 or 50.

I just run them from cold but even then, they let me wheelie the gsxr from the off in the pouring rain, that's how much grip they have.

Last year I did Caldwell in the wet for the first time. I was amazed I was able to get my knee down easily without any scary moments. After a few sessions I had that much confidence in them I started to forget about it being wet, I beat my previous best dry lap time by quite a long way.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

I've sent you a text Lloydie
Think I've got to do it. I still had a great day but can't help but think it might have been better with some proper tyres.

In this country having a choice has got to be a must!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

wets are amazing. iv used them a lot over the years and as has been said don't use warmers. or at least not for very long..i used to use warmers on my front but only just before I went out for a race to get a wee bit of heat in it..if your a knee down rider in the dry you will do the same with good wets on a wet track.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Don't be tempted to let the pressures down too much as it'll close the tread up, I used to run 33psi in wets, newer might be different I don't know ?. Also they don't seem to age well so old wet's aren't much good, well they'll be better than slicks but newer wets are better than ones that have been laying around a couple of years.

You can get away with a lot of on them, I used to race really well in the wet, on one occasion I thought I'd done what I needed to do when someone tried to overtake on the brakes into Driuds at Brands, without thinking I let off the brakes then just had to chuck the bike in and to my surprise it gripped, was even faster when I knew what they could do. you do need to set up a bit for them though, back off comp and rebound by a couple of clicks, back off rear preload a bit of possible or lower the rear ride height, if you get a wet trackday you can experiment as you'll have time. a good dry set up won't work that good in the wet even with wets. If your average speed then your dry set up may be ok for the wet too.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Cor PopKatMalc O'Bob, you & Brands wasnt it wet that day @ Padcock Hill as well ?...heeheheehehehe :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote:Cor PopKatMalc O'Bob, you & Brands wasnt it wet that day @ Padcock Hill as well ?...heeheheehehehe :wink:

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :lol:

I wasn't on wets that day though :wink:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

Thanks for all the advise guys.

I'll be prepared the next time but will be hoping for a dry day anyway! :lol: