Renthal bar conversion on my RSV is now complete (at last)

General Bike chat
budd

Renthal bar conversion on my RSV is now complete (at last)

Post by budd »

Well it's taken a bit longer than intended but it is now finished, the actual job of fitting the parts was straightforward enough getting all the bits in one place less so. Both Intobikes (bars ,grips and bar ends) and CNC (cool and comfy) were very poor at fulfilling their stated 48hr delivery times, and when I say poor they didn’t get anywhere near the top yoke ended up taking 14 days !!!
The bars/grips etc weren’t much better at 12 days, they were apparently out of the desired end caps and to be fair did email me within a couple days to let me know and offer me an alternate choice of colour, and then upgraded me to Renthal end caps when the second choice was also out of stock, all of this toing and froing contributed to the extended delivery time. But quite why online vendors continue to list and sell stock they haven’t get in beyond me, it just causes problems down the line.
I do have a positive story re suppliers the Ebay vendor Wezmoto who supplied the brake lines was excellent, 2x extended braided lines inc stainless fittings £39 delivered and arrived within 48hrs ,top job lads.

Anyway despite the poor delivery and customer service the C’n’C top yokes are absolutely superb quality and at the discounted price I paid (£140) delivered are great value to, if CnC could get their collective asses in gear re fulfilling the orders and keeping customers informed I would recommend them wholeheartedly, it’s real easy if it going to take 14days to deliver the parts they should simply say than and not promise 48hr delivery when they can’t achieve it.
Well rant over let’s have a look at the finished item,

as can be seen it lifts the bars quite substantially over the stock bars, so what I have now is a fully faired Tuono.
Fortunately I had a spare top fairing and aftermarket DB screen so I haven’t had to butcher any of the original parts so it’s a relatively simple job to return it to stock if required.
First ride impressions were a bit of the mixed bag, the bike is undoubtedly more comfortable and much easier to manage at low speeds, it make it feel smaller like a kind of big BMX bike, the downside is at high speeds (120 plus) the front doesn’t feel quite so planted as it did also the front doesn’t seem to inspire the same level of confidence on long sweepers I’m pretty sure this is mostly down to me needing to reacclimatise to the different characteristics caused by the slight shift in centre of gravity, the other thing is it now wants to wheelie everywhere (not sure if this is good or bad) !!! But all in all I’m very happy with the new setup I just need to get used to it and maybe tweak the suspensions settings, perhaps a little increase in rear ride height will help??
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Renthal bar conversion on my RSV is now complete (at las

Post by sirch345 »

Good job Budd, well done :clap:
It didn't turn out so bad with the delivery times as I had feared for you in the end, having read what some people have said about delivery times of top yoke conversions in the past from CNC. So it sounds like they are getting better, although stating 48hrs then ending up two weeks is still not really good enough.

Having seen CNC top yokes on Firestorms and other bikes, I do agree with you on the excellent quality of CNC's work, you can't fault that.

Good to hear you are pleased with the conversion so far, and thanks for adding the photo's.

Raising the rear should help as you suggest with now having less body weight over the front end with the more upright riding position, also as you say you will need to acclimatize to the new riding position.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

God dam that looks fun with those bars on :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that will be more comfortable, but I would still go for the lower rise bars to get a good mid position between sports bike and chopper
AMcQ
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Nice job.

I've been having comfort issues with my RSV. Just fitted some aprilia performance rearsets and put them down and as far back as possible. Has made things a fair bit more confortable
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

All I know about the touno is it's hard to get front tyre heat and even heat into the brakes so just be careful till you get used to it .
budd

Post by budd »

sirch345 wrote:Good job Budd, well done :clap:
It didn't turn out so bad with the delivery times as I had feared for you in the end, having read what some people have said about delivery times of top yoke conversions in the past from CNC. So it sounds like they are getting better, although stating 48hrs then ending up two weeks is still not really good enough.

Having seen CNC top yokes on Firestorms and other bikes, I do agree with you on the excellent quality of CNC's work, you can't fault that.

Good to hear you are pleased with the conversion so far, and thanks for adding the photo's.

Raising the rear should help as you suggest with now having less body weight over the front end with the more upright riding position, also as you say you will need to acclimatize to the new riding position.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Chris.
Your right CnC quality is spot on and they are good value compared to almost any other method of fitting flat bars, by comparison the ABM yokes are £289 for the RSV and they don't do a proper one for my Ohlins forked 'R' instead they supply a reducer and charge an extra tenner !!! But it's hard to recommend CnC due to the dodgy delivery situation, if it's gonna be 2 weeks say that not make promises you can't keep, it's pity because it is a great product, to be fair I was aware of these delivery issues before I ordered them so it wasn't really much of surprise that 48hrs became 2 weeks, and from what I've heard this isn't to bad and people have waited a lot longer than I did.

Fortunately the RSV as a ride height adjuster on the rear shock so it ought to be a simply job to lift it a few mm, none of the messing about with shims like on the Storm. I hoping that a slight lift at the rear will move the CG forward a little maybe I’ll drop the forks a few mm to with a bit of luck (more luck than judgement ) it will restore some of the of what has been lost, failing that some Moto GP style ‘winglets’ may be called for. :D
TBH it’s not ‘bad’ and last Sun was the first time I’d ridden it with any commitment and I happen to be out with 2 lads on S1000 RRs which is bad enough but these are not the normal ones but the HP4 version one of which cost a mind numbing £23K EKK 8O !!! The fact I could keep them is sight suggests the RSV hasn’t by any means turned is to an ill handling pig as a reault of the bars conversion, I think a couple of suspension tweaks and some more practice I’ll be an happy bunny.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
budd

Post by budd »

AMCQ46 wrote:that will be more comfortable, but I would still go for the lower rise bars to get a good mid position between sports bike and chopper
It is much improved comfort wise, I'm not getting any younger so it's a big factor in enjoying riding, I want to look forward to going out for blast not worry about 2 days of aches and pains. And you're right re the bars, CnC recommended Renthal road low so that's what I went for, but I think in retospect the ultra low may be the better option and for the sake of £30 ish I'll probably give them a try.
budd

Post by budd »

Steve6088 wrote:Nice job.

I've been having comfort issues with my RSV. Just fitted some aprilia performance rearsets and put them down and as far back as possible. Has made things a fair bit more confortable
for me it wasn't so much the pegs (although I have had to mod the N/S one as per normal to suit my dodgy knee) for me it was the back and wrists I was having issues with, the RSV is quite a big tall bike certainly roomier than the Storm but it's a fair old stretch to the low slung clip ons, it was literally becoming a pain!! I think once I’m more used to the new feel and balance it as I’ll find overall it’s much improved.
budd

Post by budd »

lloydie wrote:All I know about the touno is it's hard to get front tyre heat and even heat into the brakes so just be careful till you get used to it .
I tend to only ride when it's warm and dry if possible but I'll certainly be careful of pushing the front in the cold, the supercorsas need to have some heat to work properly, if the weather is looking iffy for the North Yorks run out I'll probably stick the Michelin pilot powers back in, last year in Wales wasn't funtill things dried out after lunch.
adyf

Post by adyf »

Looks smart mate , a lot better comfort no doubt , can't wait to see it in the flesh , just hope the weather is good for our little jaunt round Yorkshire , see ya soon buddy
budd

Post by budd »

adyf wrote:Looks smart mate , a lot better comfort no doubt , can't wait to see it in the flesh , just hope the weather is good for our little jaunt round Yorkshire , see ya soon buddy
I'm counting the sleeps mate :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

budd wrote: Fortunately the RSV as a ride height adjuster on the rear shock so it ought to be a simply job to lift it a few mm, none of the messing about with shims like on the Storm. I hoping that a slight lift at the rear will move the CG forward a little maybe I’ll drop the forks a few mm to with a bit of luck (more luck than judgement ) it will restore some of the of what has been lost, failing that some Moto GP style ‘winglets’ may be called for. :D
I like that idea re: the wings :lol:

Chris.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

budd wrote:
lloydie wrote:All I know about the touno is it's hard to get front tyre heat and even heat into the brakes so just be careful till you get used to it .
I tend to only ride when it's warm and dry if possible but I'll certainly be careful of pushing the front in the cold, the supercorsas need to have some heat to work properly, if the weather is looking iffy for the North Yorks run out I'll probably stick the Michelin pilot powers back in, last year in Wales wasn't funtill things dried out after lunch.
I'd still be careful even on a warm day. When mine was a tuono me and Lloyd went out for a spirited ride on a nice warm sunny day. And when I really needed the front brakes they were nowhere to be found. Tyre was stone cold, brakes were cold, I ended up flying past God knows how many cars while on the grass. Was not nice at all. If you start playing around with raising the rear and lowering the front you might as well just fit lower rise bars.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looking smart Chris. We the bike up to feel balanced and relative ly neutral on the high speed sweepers but don't change anything too radical at first. I've had to get used to some big wide bars in my bike and I've found moving my body the best result. I. E. Chin over the handle bars when it's getting exciting. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal