Question about wheel paint

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Leachy

Question about wheel paint

Post by Leachy »

After recent bang on the front wheel, VERY deep pot-hole hit at just 30mph leaving a flat spot on the rim :x I've decided to change the rim, I now realize the replacement will need new disc's and bolts and as a matter course may as well put new bearings in as well, but this will leave me with a spanking new (apart from the usual chips and scuffs) wheel which will look really odd compared to rear, so might as well take the rear of and change it's bearings put a new disc on it with new bolts and redress it so both wheels match......so my question is do I just redress both wheels with matt paint or have them powder coated? is powder coated any better?
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
carmanbikes

Re: Question about wheel paint

Post by carmanbikes »

I had mine powder coated but I think you get a better finish with painting them if done properly :thumbup:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

It's personal taste, but I prefer painted wheels as poor powder coating can craze or chip but with painted wheels they are easier to touch up.

If your going down the powder coat route don't fit the new bearing until they have been coated and put some old bolts in the holes where the discs mount or you will need to re tap the threads to clean them up. :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I had mine powder coated by a firm known for their quality and who do a lot of bike wheels. Very happy with them. Of course, YMMV.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

How about a paint kit like the following.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Black- ... XQMTlRbjNc
==============================Enter the Darkside