Numpty moments...

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Numpty moments...

Post by MacV2 »

Following on from Stormy's battery misconection fiasco...Sorry Rob...

Just now...Andy the new owner of Bloo has just popped round...

Me...''what you broken now ?''

Andy...''Oh just a screwdriver...''

Me...''WTF''

Andy...'' with the front wheel spindle, you know that bit you put the bar through to hold it does it undo...? ''

You allready know where this one is going dont you...

Me... ''No, as long as the nut is off the other end it should turn & pull out...As long as you have rememberd to undo the pinch bolts...''

Andy... :?

Me... ''You did remember to undo the pinch bolts didn't you...?''

So what are your numptie moments...

Boxed it all back up & then seen the 'BIT' sitting on the workbench that you forgot to put back in... :wtf:

Can't find that tool you were using a min ago in the air box that you have just done up the last bolt on the tank refit... :x

Left the paper in the stacks to stop dropping things down the carbs... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Re: Numpty moments...

Post by AMCQ46 »

mmm, perhaps had 1 at the weekend.

putting newly painted forks back into bike, all cables and steering damper routed correctly all bolts torqued up, wheel in, brakes on, fairing back on, mirrors on, indicators wired up............ looks good.

look on the bench and the plastic guards that fit on the top of the fork lowers are still sitting there 8O ... BOLLOKS.

They do help prevent stone chipping on the sanctions so I wanted them back on....... but I am a lazy git so I wasn't going to take it all apart again.. so I cut through the back of the guards so I could open them up to fit over the fork legs, then used a cable tie to tighten then back up :beer:
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Well done MrMcq. The sensible way out.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

AMCQ46 wrote:the plastic guards that fit on the top of the fork lowers are still sitting there...I wanted them back on...but I am a lazy git so I cut through the back of the guards, then used a cable tie to tighten them back up
:Thumb Down:

I'm going to start tutting...

TUT

TUT

There. A pair of big tuts for you to look at. :wink:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep Numpty Al...The first admission... :lol: :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

A good topic where I already have a mention. I'm sure I will have several more over the next month or so!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Stripped my old XJ550 engine once and replaced the cam chain because it had developed a rattle.
Did find out until I had put it all back together and the rattle was still there that the cam chain auto adjuster was semi auto adjust and had a locking nut!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

far too many to list.
here's a classic, undoing the lower yoke bolts, then being distracted by something else, then coming back and thus forgetting, then undoing the upper bolts, end result, the front of the bike drops down, with me trying to hold it up, followed by running around and finding a jack to lift the front and do the bloody bolts back up.... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
luckily there was no damage, other than to my pride.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:mmm, perhaps had 1 at the weekend.

putting newly painted forks back into bike, all cables and steering damper routed correctly all bolts torqued up, wheel in, brakes on, fairing back on, mirrors on, indicators wired up............ looks good.

look on the bench and the plastic guards that fit on the top of the fork lowers are still sitting there 8O ... BOLLOKS.

They do help prevent stone chipping on the sanctions so I wanted them back on....... but I am a lazy git so I wasn't going to take it all apart again.. so I cut through the back of the guards so I could open them up to fit over the fork legs, then used a cable tie to tighten then back up :beer:
I have a set of fork guards you can have Al. just remember to fit them next time you have the forks off. i'll sort them out for you when i'm back in the uk
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many many years ago when I was a teenager and still living at home, I got a phone call from my Dad to say him and Mum were stranded, the car wouldn't start and he couldn't get it going. They were visiting some relations and were about to leave to come home. I was in the middle of working on one of my motorcycles a BSA Bantam, I had been adjusting the chain. Stopping what I was doing, I gathered up some tools and a spare HT coil and went off to see if I could get their car going, I went on my Triumph 650 Thunderbird. I sorted out Dad's car okay and that was that, iirc the points had closed up.

A few weeks later I had my Thunderbird in bits (for anyone who's never owned an old British bike, this happens on a fairly regular basis :) ) which meant come Saturday when I wanted to take the girlfriend out we had to use the BSA Bantam. We went to the cinema in the afternoon (approx 8 miles form home). On getting back to where I had parked the bike, I suddenly noticed the nut on the rear wheel spindle on one side was not done up all the way 8O
It suddenly dawned on me that, I must had forgotten to tighten it up when I left to go and rescue my Dad, the other side was done up properly. Luckily the rear wheel never moved.

There was a motor accessory shop right across the road from where I had parked the bike, it was known for not being the cheapest in town, but I didn't care, I went in there and purchased a Bahco adjustable wrench so I could tighten up that spindle nut. I felt very fortunate I'd got away with it, and I still have the wrench,

Chris.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

That could have been worse!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

agentpineapple wrote: I have a set of fork guards you can have Al. just remember to fit them next time you have the forks off. i'll sort them out for you when i'm back in the uk
Thanks Marty. That will be great
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Many years ago I wondered why my bike took so much oil - only when seeing the lake of the stuff on the garage floor did i realise I hadn't put the sump plug back. :oops:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So 24hrs in & we have 5 confirmed Numpties... :lol: :lol:

Now in the OP the 3 examples I posted...

''Boxed it all back up & then seen the 'BIT' sitting on the workbench that you forgot to put back in... :wtf:

Can't find that tool you were using a min ago in the air box that you have just done up the last bolt on the tank refit... :x

Left the paper in the stacks to stop dropping things down the carbs... :wink:''

2 involved A.N.Other as well as me & the other one I made up...

As for my own confesion...Changing the oil on Ole Red...Drained out, sump plug back in, new fillter fitted, fresh oil added...Tidying up I'll just drain the old oil into a recepticle...glug, glug, glug...1x sump washer in the waste... 8O

Yep forgot to put it back on...DOH!

Quick think...At the time I had a tree stump in the middle of the garden, so I got loads of old towles & stuff layed them over said stump, wheeled Ole Red down the garden...very, very gently leaned it over to rest on the stump & got it so not on the tank or fairing...Whipped the sump bolt out, stuck the washer on & wound the bolt back in double quick time...Lost a bit of oil but nothing to cry about...Got the bike back upright with no damage & no further drama...phewwww...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't even know where to start. I shall just admit to being another numptie instead :lol: The worst thing for me is when everything gets put back together and you start thinking..did I do that up...did I, and one starts worrying and then has to strip everything back down again to double check. It's like closing the front door, walking down the road and then wondering if you closed the front door properly.
==============================Enter the Darkside