MOTs and number plates

General Bike chat
Twinpotter

MOTs and number plates

Post by Twinpotter »

Greetings fellow Stormers
A cautionary tale regarding MOTs and number plates in the hope that no one falls foul of this nugget.

Rolling the ever reliable Storm into DBC Dunstable this morning for the MOT, one of the testers mentioned beforehand that the number plate may not permit a pass. Notably they MOTed the bike last year so I asked if the legislation had changed in the interim. They proceeded to explain how they'd been on an updated course with test questions after which they were instructed not to pass motorcycles with raised lettering. And they could print me a regulation one - for £10. I asked if the legislation or if the test requirement had changed but they could not confirm legislation but did state the guidance on raised letterforms. Now no one wants to leave with a fail so I duly relented for the sake of brevity.

However I did get the advisory stating:
001:registration plate incorrect [6.3.1a]
This translates to 'missing or incorrect'. Well it wasn't missing so it was deemed incorrect though no further details are available in the legislation.
It raises the question as to whether 'raised carbon' black regulation typeface letterforms on a regulation size reflective plate (incl. 'BSAU 154d' - which sets out the characteristics of number plates with respect to visibility) (still) legal or not. When I pointed this out and asked, they couldn't say. For the pursuit of guidance, a nice grey area.

Now it should be noted that I have no reason to suspect that DBC are pulling a fast one - they did after all bear with me as I changed a front headlamp that had popped between leaving the house and arriving at the place and they are otherwise most amenable.

It is an annoyance as much as anything else though. They 'do things by the book' and this I respect but despite never seeing 'the book' as it were, let alone updated, parting with a tenner for a new plate is irritating.

So now I have an 'MOT ready' plate for next year and a printed copy of the legislation in case an officer looking to ramp up some experience chooses to take exception.

Anyone else had such irritations? If I've missed something new please do let me know.

Other than that the bike is rumbling sweetly and I hope yous are all enjoying the fine biking weather.

All the best.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
popkat

Re: MOTs and number plates

Post by popkat »

I don't see how you got an advisory. A plate "missing or incorrect" is a reason for rejection, which is a fail. I'm not at work right now so can't see any list of advisories that might be for number plates, I'll try to remember to have a look next time I do an mot.

You say your plate was regulation size but you have raised letters in a carbon effect ? so is that a 3d effect ?,
Your plate could fall into these area's
6.3 4b
b. a character not correctly formed, sloping, or likely to be misread
6.3 4c
any feature that has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters, so that the true identity of the vehicle is less easily established.

As for the course they've done it's a new annual test for testers, but there was nothing specific to do with number plates on this years syllabus.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s