Chain Adjustment

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scouse645

Chain Adjustment

Post by scouse645 »

I cleaned and adjusted the chain yesterday, went for a run today, checked when i got back and found the chain side adjuster had slackened off, i used a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut, so that was fine, there isn't a locking nut on the adjusters is there? they were equal after adjustment.
bazza696

Re: Chain Adjustment

Post by bazza696 »

the adjuster is just there to move the axel once you have slackened off the nut, other than that if it does go slack, there is nowhere for it to go as it help in with a c clip.

the CBF has a nut on a the adjuster thread with a locking nut to hold that.
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

Ok thanks, i must have left one side a bit slack.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Did you check the adjusters right after you re-tightened the axle nut :?: If you didn't the axle could have moved slightly when you re-tightened the nut without you realising it.

What I do is check the adjusters immediately after tightening the axle nut to the correct torque value, both adjusters normally can be just nipped up a touch, not a lot, less than one flat on the bolt (adjuster) head, that keeps them tight,

Chris.
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

thanks, i maybe didn't check them after tightening the axle nut, redone it now and made sure the adjusters are spot on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

scouse645 wrote:thanks, i maybe didn't check them after tightening the axle nut, redone it now and made sure the adjusters are spot on.
That's good :thumbup:
I'm sure next time you will remember to check the adjusters if you did forgot this time after tightening the axle nut :wink:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

When you say the adjusters are spot on....
You can't trust the markings on the adjusters as they aren't always accurate.

Suggest you check with a straight edge, assuming you haven't got a laser to check alignment.
Just press it against the rear tyre and check that the gap to the front tyre is even both sides.

A piece of angle aluminium seems to work best for me, although you can get it there or thereabouts by eye.
Look past the rear tyre to the point where the front one becomes visible and see how much of the rear rim shows, then do the same the other side.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:When you say the adjusters are spot on....
Most definitely. Good point Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

Cheers all, was away for a few days, will do as tony suggested.
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

Suggest you check with a straight edge, assuming you haven't got a laser to check alignment.
Just press it against the rear tyre and check that the gap to the front tyre is even both sides.

A piece of angle aluminium seems to work best for me, although you can get it there or thereabouts by eye.
Look past the rear tyre to the point where the front one becomes visible and see how much of the rear rim shows, then do the same the other side.
I have a Vernier type tool for measuring whether your wheel is 'square' to the chassis. Unfortunately the Firestorm is the first bike I've encountered that it won't work on, in this case due to the plastic covers over the swinging arm pivot.

To save me going out to the garage to pull one of these off, can anyone tell me if the swingarm pivot bolt is hollow? For this tool to work it needs both the axle & swingarm pivot to both be.
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigr250 wrote:

I have a Vernier type tool for measuring whether your wheel is 'square' to the chassis. Unfortunately the Firestorm is the first bike I've encountered that it won't work on, in this case due to the plastic covers over the swinging arm pivot.

To save me going out to the garage to pull one of these off, can anyone tell me if the swingarm pivot bolt is hollow? For this tool to work it needs both the axle & swingarm pivot to both be.
Nope, it's a big, heavy, solid bolt.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.