Firestorm around town

General Bike chat
pricey

Firestorm around town

Post by pricey »

Guys a little bit of wisdom from you please. I'm new to the Firestorm and new to v-twins, so excuse the ignorance with this question; should the firestorm be a pig in first and second around town?

It feels as if it's going to cut out on me, slow speed roundabouts are a nightmare. The bike is new, about 120 miles on it now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I've just got a new one and the same thing happened to mine, It kept cutting out whilst ticking over at road junctions, mines now got @ 500miles on it and is getting better, just don't think that they like being ridden slowly........ Oh dear what a shame!!! :twisted:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

I think you may be talking about the infamous VTR fart or hiccup.

I normally get it when blipping the throttle or if sitting at traffic lights or slowing down after engine braking. Every now and again it will cut out. Its got something to do with the carbs but they all do it (some more then others). If it does it alot, Id take it back to the dealer - I have heard of one occurance where the owner did this - the Honda garage gave up trying to fix it and gave the guy a new bike.

Cheers
Wayne
pricey

Post by pricey »

Thanks guys,

I will persevere with it for now, until the first service at least :? .

I’m itching to get out and clock up the miles, but stealing some time in the relative dry is difficult. I don’t mind going out on damp roads, hones the skills (I’m told), but pissing down, forget it :eek2 .

Ride safe and thanks again.
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
Dylan Rogers

Post by Dylan Rogers »

Hi also new to storm just off B12. This low speed hiccup seems to be a common fault and makes pulling away a problem. When the fart happens just as you are letting in clutch and opening the throttle the bike starts to die so you grab more throttle, the bike recovers finds the rider asking for oodles of gas bites hard raises the front wheel in a massive clutch grinding noise and scares the owner shitless. Take bike to a dealer and find out "oh they all do that" !!!!
What else is in the hidden ccupboard????????? :?
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

I think this problem was raised on the site a while ago and someone reccommended setting the tick over to the high end of the Honda recomendation which if I remember rightly was about 1100 revs This may be worth a try
pricey

Post by pricey »

Blackstorm, do you run yours at this idle speed? Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as Dylans but I suppose there is still time.

All things said and done, still great fun to ride, just got to get used to it :lol:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I set the idle to 1100 on mine. It will still hichup if you blip the throttle when going really slow or stationary though.
Dylan Rogers

Firestorm fart

Post by Dylan Rogers »

Completed over 1000mls on storm now and have started to get used to the hiccup. Blipping the throttle is definetly the problem that causes the fuel starvation :twisted: , however with a pair of MIG high level race cans fitted how do you keep your little danny's off the noise button!
Will try to up the tick over to 1100.
Very happy with bikes fast cornering after the B12 much happier with the storm despite its little idiosyncrasy. (put dictionary back on shelf!)
pricey

Throttle speed

Post by pricey »

Right, home tonight and in the garage, fiddle time :twisted:

Thanks for the help guys, ride safe :D
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Throttle speed

Post by firestorm_al »

pricey wrote:Right, home tonight and in the garage, fiddle time :twisted:

Thanks for the help guys, ride safe :D
You should be able to reach the idle adjuster just by sticking your hand through the frame at the right hand side and turning the knob with your finger tips.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Yep.
Mine was constantly stalling when I first got it with tick over at about 800. I dialled it up to 1100 and it will still occasionally stall but not as frequently. Blipping the throttle at tickover makes things worse and if only I was adult enough I would stop doing it, but as above a full Ackropovic race system and no self controlI cant help myself. tut tut childish antisocial etc etc I know, God I know.
pricey

smoking guns

Post by pricey »

Blip away, I can't wait to get my cans, I've not decide which ones yet, I think I've read at least four different makes on this forum now 8O

I will give the new idle speed the full test tomorrow, off to work on the pride and joy :lol:

ride safe :twisted:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Chaps,

maybe you should get the carb balancing checked and then the pilot air screws, sounds like alot of VTR's running lean with one cylinder dragging the other one down.

Del (that didn't really help did it)
pricey

Carb balance checked

Post by pricey »

Del

:cry: Carb balancing even on a new bike? I've only done 150 miles so far. You would have thought out of the factory they may have set it right in the first place.

8O