Happy Stormer!

General Bike chat
markg

Happy Stormer!

Post by markg »

Picked up my '99 Firestorm this afternoon and i'm well chuffed. :D
I was starting to wonder if it was all worth it after my insurance got hiked up 90 quid for only 6 months riding and being a tight butt I wernt relishing the idea of paying full tax again but after riding her home today I know its worth all of this.
Shes got a lower fairing,hugger,double bubble screen and looks real lurvely in red :D
gotta start saving for the race cans now...any recomendations :?: would like to get some cans which don't mean I have to mess around with the carburation..any ideas?
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hi Markg.

Congrats on the bike. Trust me on this, you will forget about the money for the insurance and fuel and tyre when you get the chance to play on your new toy in good weather. The only essential mod to a Storm is the one you have already identified. I have heard loads of different end cans and to be honest they have all sounded f***ing good.

I have a red 99 Storm like yours and have been a fan of Scorpion end cans. These have gone on easily and I have not had to change the jetting and they sound superb !!! The noise allows me to get pleasure out of riding at low speeds and when you get out onto the open roads it adds even more pleasure. This was brought home to me last year when the bike needed its first MOT. I put the standard end cans on and it totally transformed the riding experience. The bike felt physically smaller and inconspicuous. Didn't like it one bit.

So I would reccommend the Scorpions. I have had Scorpions on a Busa and ZX6 and all sounded superb. Not for shrinking violets though !

I can guarantee you one absolute fact. You will have a smile like a Cheshire Cat the first time you ride past a car and realise it was YOU who had just set the alarm off !!!

Enjoy.
LOOPY
markg

Post by markg »

you'd make a great salesperson for Scorpion exhausts Loopy :lol: ..you have convinced me!
took my bike to work today and was amazed how relaxed it felt and was quite fooled how fast it was going.maybe its something to do with being used to sceaming fours.Let her wind up once and hit 145 on the clock without even trying which was about the limit on my old FZR..and she was still accelerating!!
was also pleasantly surprised to have gone to within a few milimetres of the edge of the tyre without really trying but i'm not sure how easy it will be to get me kneee down in the summer as I didnt quite feel as if i could slide out of the seat as far as i'm used to.
On the way home,I popped onto the local industrail estate to see a mate and decided to see if the bike would wheelie...and got the shock of my life!!!...think i'll have to practice a bit more as i'm sure I nearly went vertical and scared the sh1t out of myself.with the FZR it was just a case ofkeeping the revs at about 7000 and snatching the throttle,i'm sure i was only doing about 3000rpm when the front wheel launched today!
all in al,i've owned my bike for about 24 hours now and i'm one very happy firestorm rider :D
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I am glad you are enjoying it Mark. I dont know where you live but you must have been lucky with the weather. It has been p*sng down in Loughborough for the last 24 hours. Very depressing :(

When you add some aural pleasure to your riding experience it will be even more enjoyable. And think of all of the unselfish joy you will be bringing to car drivers and pedestrians when you share the glorious, deep, thumping explosion of noise with them. It would be rude not to.
LOOPY
Fluffy

Exhausts.....kerrching!!!!!!

Post by Fluffy »

You really need to speak to Daz Sear over on the VTR list, he gets ART at around 30% off the list price. I have got ART Oval high level titanium twin spouts (Try saying that after a beer) and paid the same for them as dealers wanted for Stainless.

daz.sear@ntlworld.com tell him Fluffy (AKA Tony) sent you, I guarantee you will be happy with the price and the product, ART have come a long way and have won several magazine tests as well.

There are plenty of guys here who will vouch for Daz and the quality of the goods m8

Cheers

Fluffy
I see no Firestorm......
markg

Post by markg »

chers for the advice mateys 8)
come across an ad in the local paper today,some guy(or gal) selling lxl carbon cans with link pipes for a firestorm for 150 quid.I think i've seen (and heard)the bike which had them fitted and they are f*oooking loud!
anyone heard of lxl before :?: coz I havent
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

markg wrote:chers for the advice mateys 8)
come across an ad in the local paper today,some guy(or gal) selling lxl carbon cans with link pipes for a firestorm for 150 quid.I think i've seen (and heard)the bike which had them fitted and they are f*oooking loud!
anyone heard of lxl before :?: coz I havent
At the Northern Dyno day, think the Ixil's were behind the Art 2 into 1 for noise. But it was a nice noise. This storm made 111bhp on the day.
Our local Honda dealer sells the Ixils, they look good and look pretty well built.
If i hadnt bought the Migs from Neil, would have gone for some Ixils.

Robb
jooshead

Post by jooshead »

Noisiest cans were the Microns Hi'level Ovals, blimey what a noise!!!!

Least perfoemance, but very loud: Blue Flames.

Best performance with nicest noise: Renegades, and their hilevels allowed the pillion pegs to stay.

hmmmmmmmnn cubes & carbs...
pricey

jooshead - nice piccie

Post by pricey »

jooshead,

Nice picture, seems like you've had a fair bit done. Did you do all this yourself :?:

What have you had done, by list if you don't mind (who doesn't mind talking about their bikes right :!: ) and where you got it from :?:

Having just bought mine I think a hefty dent in the wallet is only round the corner :P

ride safe :twisted:
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
jooshead

Post by jooshead »

Yep all done myself.

The list:

Renegade Hi-level Titanium Ovals.
CBR900 Hornet numberplate tailpiece and indicators. ( stupid English no plate laws and they allow the high levels to be toed in with the indicators below.)
Harris Polished Alloy rearsets
Pyramid colour keyed hugger
Pyramid colour keyed lower fairing
Standard rear shock but with 3mm spacer.
Art carbon tankprotector.
Flush front indicators from some obscure company. These fit the existing holes perfectly and are very bright. (I like peeps to know where i'm going)
Nuvo Airflow scree dark tint.
BFG Stianless braided brake lines front & back with stianless P-clips.
Ohlins front forks ( non progressive) Forks dropped 5mm with 7.5 forkoil
Creations carbon race engine armour kit.
R&G crash posts.

The last 2 saved the bike when this happened:

So now I've stripped the bike to it's compenents and will create the moster track / tart bike from hell.
hmmmmmmmnn cubes & carbs...
pricey

Post by pricey »

Christ you must have been gutted mate. That little lot must have cost a bloody fortune....time to talk to my boss for a pay rise :lol:
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)