New bike, no doubt a new project!

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
TheBozBoz

Re: New bike, no doubt a new project!

Post by TheBozBoz »

Cheers for the advice all, I'd love to see any post thread on the trials of airbox mods unless it's too painful to remember!
Yes, cheers for the warning all the sane! I've got my special ground down 10mm spanner for all the starters I've ever taken off! Might be might job to do it in the next couple of weekends, for now I'm just enjoying riding it!

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Right so after reading all pages and the summary being - just don't touch it. However he mentions don't take the snorkel off but I'm sure I've read here that another user actually had gains from doing that!
Now, I've also read the idea of running in ducting down the sides into the box, I'm guessing cooler air better burn or something similar to the concept of intercooler in turbo systems?
Tbh even if I did make some sort of ram intake for it I'd have no idea what yo change in the carb setup, I rember my cbrs carbs I had to change needle settings and block off a brass tube! Bit too involving at this stage....

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As another starting point check the dyno chart section and see what's been done to help achieve results

Dyno Charts > viewforum.php?f=36
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Not meaning to go off track here, but the mention of air filters reminds me to display what I took out of my new (to me) 2001 Pan Euro yesterday :confused
Attachments
Filter.jpg
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

nigelrb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 am Not meaning to go off track here, but the mention of air filters reminds me to display what I took out of my new (to me) 2001 Pan Euro yesterday :confused
Plant spuds, that's next year's chips....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 pm
nigelrb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 am Not meaning to go off track here, but the mention of air filters reminds me to display what I took out of my new (to me) 2001 Pan Euro yesterday :confused
Plant spuds, that's next year's chips....
Nah, I got enough on my shoulder! :thumbup:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Little update on the bike today. Thought I'd do the tps adjustment by bending the lower bracket a bit, managed to get 429ohm so decided that was as close to the argued magic number of 430!

Also managed to fit my new old stock velocity stacks, they are BIG! I know I'll need to play around with jetting. I wonder if dynos are open during lockdown?!?

What I was hoping to do was remove the PAIR system as I bought the blanking kit on ebay. Turns out my bike simply doesn't have it. The weird thing is it still pops on deaccleration and sometimes upwards shifting. I'm wondering now where the air is drawing in!?! Image

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pm Little update on the bike today. Thought I'd do the tps adjustment by bending the lower bracket a bit, managed to get 429ohm so decided that was as close to the argued magic number of 430!

Also managed to fit my new old stock velocity stacks, they are BIG! I know I'll need to play around with jetting. I wonder if dynos are open during lockdown?!?

What I was hoping to do was remove the PAIR system as I bought the blanking kit on ebay. Turns out my bike simply doesn't have it. The weird thing is it still pops on deaccleration and sometimes upwards shifting. I'm wondering now where the air is drawing in!?! Image

those intake stacks are they the ones the guy in Australia makes? iv a set of those and they work great in the midrange.. as for the snorkel you can try removing it and it does sound great but it gave mine a hole in the midrange i needed a ladder to get outa :eek2 :lol: :lol: .

it will mess with you head but these carbs when you give them more air you normally have to jet down not up as normal :!: , give them more air and they will draw more petrol and run rich???? go figure that one!!!!
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Yeah that's right, it's the aussie guy but I got them new off ebay recently for only £50! I thought it was a bargain if only to test the water getting more ponies out of the storm!

Funily enough after reading a few posts I have removed the front intake 'snorkel' and I don't think theres much else to remove inside the box. My wondering is the exhaust pops and I thought that was air getting into the exhaust system. Maybe that's why I see SS exhaust flanges on ebay! Is the exhaust system SS?

TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Went on a spin today, wow what a difference. Very responsive, perfectly ticking over as well at low speeds through villages. Came back from the ride so happy with it told the missus to get her helmet and gear and went out again! Obviously we were out getting food supplies both times.........

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pm Little update on the bike today. Thought I'd do the tps adjustment by bending the lower bracket a bit, managed to get 429ohm so decided that was as close to the argued magic number of 430!
Personally I believe the 430 number is a bit of an error. Yes it was shown on the OP post to give a slight boost to top end power but if you really look at what is going on, it might not be the best option.

I say this as the TPS is one of the two things the ECU "looks" at to set the advance curve (RPM is the other factor)

This means that setting the TPS to 430 will actually retard the timing through out the rev range. While this might be good for top end, I believe you loose out everywhere else. Unless you are running above 7K with a stock ECU I don't see a benefit.

Now if you go the other way and set the TPS to say 550-600 range, now you are advancing the timing by tricking the ECU into thinking you have a larger throttle opening. This should move the advance curve up a step in the map and give more advance.

Since the advancers are no longer available (and were only for the '97-'00 model years as the ECU changes with the dash change) this is what I would be looking into if I was running a stock ECU.
TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pmAlso managed to fit my new old stock velocity stacks, they are BIG! I know I'll need to play around with jetting. I wonder if dynos are open during lockdown?!?

Could be you are running a touch lean.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

So anywhere in the 500-600 range will do on the tps then?
I'll be doing mine when I get home in a few days from. 7+ week stint driving my freightshaker around the country. :lol: :cool2:
Thanks.
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

misnblu wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 pm So anywhere in the 500-600 range will do on the tps then?
I'll be doing mine when I get home in a few days from. 7+ week stint driving my freightshaker around the country. :lol: :cool2:
Thanks.
That's where I would set it but then again it is just my opinion and we all know how that goes..... :D :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm Yeah that's right, it's the aussie guy but I got them new off ebay recently for only £50! I thought it was a bargain if only to test the water getting more ponies out of the storm!

Funily enough after reading a few posts I have removed the front intake 'snorkel' and I don't think theres much else to remove inside the box. My wondering is the exhaust pops and I thought that was air getting into the exhaust system. Maybe that's why I see SS exhaust flanges on ebay! Is the exhaust system SS?

i tried those stacks back to back on the one day changing from the alloy mori ones, the ones you have improved the midrange, the other ones gave more top end, enough of a difference for my elbow dyno to notice so for road use iv kept them in.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: