Say hello to my little friend.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
misnblu

Re: Say hello to my little friend.

Post by misnblu »

Well even though I'm on the freight shaker I'm still making a bit of progress on the rear peg delete/ muffler mounts.
I've got one finished and it's a bit rough but when I get home and sand and smooth it out should look good. :biggrin :thumbup:
Here's a couple of pics of before and after.
I still have the other to do and probably the harder one to get right.
This should be the stock mounts. Nice but a bit bulky if you'll never have a passenger.
This should be the stock mounts. Nice but a bit bulky if you'll never have a passenger.
All cut up and ready for filing down.
All cut up and ready for filing down.
This one done and ready for sanding.
This one done and ready for sanding.
Let me know what you think. :Whistle:
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website πŸ‘†
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Different look. Marty had something similar done on his first Storm back in about, 2010 I think. His weren’t quite as reduced as yours but they looked good on the bike. Well done,

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Kev L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 am Different look. Marty had something similar done on his first Storm back in about, 2010 I think. His weren’t quite as reduced as yours but they looked good on the bike. Well done,

:thumbup:
Thank you sir. :thumbup:
I wanted it to stay stock but with added touch and also something different. I enjoy working metal like this and plan on doing the magnesium sprocket cover as well. I have a spare of that too. :lol: :wink:
I've had a ton of inspiration of what I want the sprocket cover to look like so we'll see how it goes.
My website πŸ‘†
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not a fan of a cut down cast one, they're not strong enough for pillion pegs, but too bulky for can hangers. What's wrong with a nice light carbon one?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

tony.mon wrote: ↑Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:55 pm Not a fan of a cut down cast one, they're not strong enough for pillion pegs, but too bulky for can hangers. What's wrong with a nice light carbon one?
Carbon would be nice but pretty expensive. 8O
I tend to agree with what you're saying about them being a bit bulky for just can hangers but I do enjoy working with my hands in making something different whether it on my car builds or this bike. I like being different and love different approaches to what I do. This is one of them. :thumbup: 8)
Most will never notice it's been cut down as it's really an unnoticed item by most people unless you're a SuperHawk/ FireStorm fan that would notice the difference. Also the feeling of saying I did it myself has a satisfaction to it when it's complimented. :Smoke3:

Where I live seeing a bike like this on the street is quite rare, if at all. All you see are inline 4 600's, Harleys, or 'Busa's roaming the street so I'm wanting to change the scene a bit with this build where I live.

I could have fabbed up a good basic aluminum bracket but you see those everywhere and a bit 'me too'.
I just hope the end result will turn out as I had envisioned. :thumbup:
My website πŸ‘†
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

misnblu wrote: ↑Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:18 am
tony.mon wrote: ↑Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:55 pm Not a fan of a cut down cast one, they're not strong enough for pillion pegs, but too bulky for can hangers. What's wrong with a nice light carbon one?
Carbon would be nice but pretty expensive. 8O
I tend to agree with what you're saying about them being a bit bulky for just can hangers but I do enjoy working with my hands in making something different whether it on my car builds or this bike. I like being different and love different approaches to what I do. This is one of them. :thumbup: 8)
Most will never notice it's been cut down as it's really an unnoticed item by most people unless you're a SuperHawk/ FireStorm fan that would notice the difference. Also the feeling of saying I did it myself has a satisfaction to it when it's complimented. :Smoke3:

Where I live seeing a bike like this on the street is quite rare, if at all. All you see are inline 4 600's, Harleys, or 'Busa's roaming the street so I'm wanting to change the scene a bit with this build where I live.

I could have fabbed up a good basic aluminum bracket but you see those everywhere and a bit 'me too'.
I just hope the end result will turn out as I had envisioned. :thumbup:
I like your style :thumbup:

Chris.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Thanks Chris. :Beer1:

I've spent all day reading and learning about syncing the carbs, what parts are needed and where they're located, and feel it should be a pretty simple affair to do.
I've always been in fear dealing with stuff like this as it always seemed so hard to figure it out but the more I read here and on the 'SuperHawk' forums the more I understand how it all works.
3 months ago I was so new to this and now I've got good understanding of how things are done.
My excitement is ever growing with this bike and although I've been a car guy for 40+ years learning about this bike is simpler than what I thought.
Now I just need to know and read more about jetting the bike and getting everything to gel so I can keep her running for years without taking it to a dealer and getting reamed.

Many thanks for this forum and the members that contribute to the knowledge of this bike. :thumbup:
Looks like they cancelled the riding course at NolaMotorSports in December so I'll be rescheduling for January to take some remedial learning skills.
That also means I'll be staying out on the road another 6 weeks from today until the holidays are over.
More time on the road with less time working on the bike but I guess the wait will be with it once it's done. :beer:

Back to reading and getting educated. :lol: :wink: :thumbup:
My website πŸ‘†
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Been a while since I updated and making progress slowly but surely.
First thing I upgraded was me. :think: :eh:
Yup I finally got to go to the riding school for some basic riding course to brush up on some skills after 25 years of not riding.
It wasn't easy and I learned a lot as I also got some of my groove back on the second day of the course.
I felt much more comfortable on the Kawasaki 400R loaner bike and passed with flying colors. :Bike: :Beer1:
B0F54A35-288F-4651-BE5C-8BD22F0E0D70.jpeg
92E5B706-6866-4D96-9C34-73E2176841E8.jpeg
564D1682-CB39-41BB-A65A-567E276BA4D2.jpeg
I plan on going back before my bike is done for some track time and lessons to get more comfortable at speed etc.

More progress done on the bike too as I finally got the marker lights done on the rear of the bike and did some custom rear turn signals. They look great and easy to see in day or night and keeps the back of the bike nice and sleek. :thumbup: 8)
23B6A2B5-D4B2-4E1C-A8F7-E4AE0CEA3BAA.jpeg
30D36AD9-A40A-4D0C-8ECB-A62346EA19B0.jpeg
Got the carbs off so I now have access to the coolant hoses and getting ready to do check the valve clearance and replace the cct's.
I also hand rubbed most of the new body pieces for the bike as they were purchased from eBay and they came out like new. :clap:
581AFACD-72EB-46B8-95B7-31FB9C31B959.jpeg
8D4C3517-64A9-4435-8049-A2E3D8B2C039.jpeg
22A67859-D42C-4728-98CB-F21D0CC4B410.jpeg
Pretty happy with the progress considering the lack of time I have.
Much more to do next time I'm home in about 3-1/2 weeks. :thumbup: :plainsmile
My website πŸ‘†
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

I almost forgot about the progress on the can hangers I modified.
They're looking great and getting closer to completion.
Should look mint when done and still have that OEM look and feel.
B3995F4E-E9E4-405D-8994-FE23B6D61BED.jpeg
57311D66-EDD3-41DB-9E7C-E4601D102B32.jpeg
89F5499E-74A4-4329-B7E1-098334AB3415.jpeg
:biggrin :wink:
My website πŸ‘†
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you are making good progress here, and I like the fact that you took some rider training as a key part of this return to biking :thumbup:

looking at the photo below, I think I spotted that you have the left side end can mounted on the outside of the "no longer the rear foot peg bracket", and on the right side, you are on the inside. so the pipes are not symmetrical

both should be on the inside

AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looking good. Well done on completing the rider training course. I thought the same thing with regard to the exhausts Al :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Thanks guys and I never noticed this on the exhaust setup so I'll have to revert it as it should be. I bought the bike this way so that goes to the previous owner then. :lol: :wink:

Exhaust is being removed anyway as I've got all new hardware for it on the way for restoration purposes and I also plan on heat wrapping it for the new lower fairing and new shock to stay cooler.

I may put 200 miles a month or less on it when it's finished since I'm over the road all the time so the wrap should stay looking good for a while.

Again thanks for the heads up on the exhaust. :thumbup: 8)
My website πŸ‘†
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

misnblu wrote: ↑Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 am Been a while since I updated and making progress slowly but surely.
First thing I upgraded was me. :think: :eh:
Yup I finally got to go to the riding school for some basic riding course to brush up on some skills after 25 years of not riding.
It wasn't easy and I learned a lot as I also got some of my groove back on the second day of the course.
I felt much more comfortable on the Kawasaki 400R loaner bike and passed with flying colors. :Bike: :Beer1:
Well done from me too on getting some training with your 25 years of not riding :clap:

Congratulations on passing :thumbup:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done and the bike is coming along nicely πŸ‘
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Another update and first the bad news.
Upon removing the exhaust from the bike I also proceeded to remove the studs since I have new studs for this build. First three were easy to remove and then there's always that bad apple to ruin things.

So I've sprayed it multiple times with PBBlaster and when I get back home again in 3 weeks I'll resume bathing it in penetrating oil before I do the heat cold truck on it and try to remove it again. πŸ™πŸ½πŸ€ž
Broken stud but fixable.
Broken stud but fixable.
Now the good news and that would be progress is being made and I'm getting excited. 😜
Original from and rear wheels are cleaned up, bearings checked and ok, and sticker The wheels to cover up aged blemishes so I can ride.
I have a spare set of front and back that will get new bearings, seals, and Dunlop Q3+ tires and a good powder coat but that won't happen until the bike is finished and I'm riding it again. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
New EBC rotors and rim stickers.
New EBC rotors and rim stickers.
EBC sprockets and rotors.
EBC sprockets and rotors.
I removed the carb gaskets and ordering all new units along with the bands holding them down.
Got the wiring done for the coil over plug setup and just need to mod them for the install. New plugs are in, oil drained, and new Honda filter installed waiting for the fresh oil. Oil cooler lines cleaned up and newer used cooler coming to replace the original that looks a bit shabby with fins beyond repair.

Cooling system will be next in the list and this is how the bike looks with no clothes on. 18+ viewers only. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ
2CE10596-674F-4B97-8684-EFCFC1DC9C93.jpeg
Ive already upgraded the main ground with a 4awg cable and added a new ground 8awg to the frame as shown in the picture below. You'll see it above the casing in the pic.
I'll also be rewriting the hot lead with 4 awg while integrating a battery disconnect switch similar to a race car. This is more for theft protection than anything else but also useful if ever needed in an accident etc.
Added ground wire.  You'll have to look close.
Added ground wire. You'll have to look close.
Same cutoff switch I'll have on the bike.
Same cutoff switch I'll have on the bike.
Once the coolant hoses are out of the way I'll have all the room to replace the cam chain tensioners which is what started this whole project in the beginning. More to come and thanks for looking. ✌️😎
My website πŸ‘†