2000 superhawk

General Bike chat
ScamaroS

2000 superhawk

Post by ScamaroS »

newbe here if i can figure out how to get a pitchure up show you a cool one

I have a 2000 superhawk and i cant stand the way it handles.
when going fast the bike wants to fall over in the middle of a corner eather to wide or cuts in. feels like it wants to fall over.
when my wife is on the bike feels very stable and tight in corners at high speed
I've changed tyres tighted head bearing adjust tyre pressure cant figure it out
i'm thinking of a stearing damper to let some resistincewhat do you think :(
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Try the rear preload at a lower setting. The spring on the rear shock is too stiff for the piston. As you say the bike is better with your wife on the bike I'd try that first although you'll probably have to put it back up a notch when your wife is on the back.

Al.
Sheltie

Post by Sheltie »

Cant say what the problem is but on the topic of a Steering Dampner I put one on my 97 bike due to a similar but perhaps unrelated problem and it worked wonders.The bike feels smoother with a lot less unwanted vibration.Having said that,the roads around here are not in great condition.If it feels better 2 up,is the suspension set to hard?Sorry i cant be of more help but hang on a couple of days because most guys who write on here seem to be well up on most things VTR,you will get the all the help you need.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Sheltie wrote:Cant say what the problem is but on the topic of a Steering Dampner I put one on my 97 bike due to a similar but perhaps unrelated problem and it worked wonders.The bike feels smoother with a lot less unwanted vibration.Having said that,the roads around here are not in great condition.If it feels better 2 up,is the suspension set to hard?Sorry i cant be of more help but hang on a couple of days because most guys who write on here seem to be well up on most things VTR,you will get the all the help you need.
You shouldn't really need a damper if everthing on the bike is ok. Where about's in Scotland are you or should I be able to work that out by your name?