Shiny oem headers

General Bike chat
___Norwegian___

Shiny oem headers

Post by ___Norwegian___ »

Yeah....how to get em shiny...any tricks?
Im on my 25'th motorcycle :)
Kev L

Re: Shiny oem headers

Post by Kev L »

Chris (Sirch) will be along shortly with a how to he created a while ago :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Elbow grease...mainly... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 pm Chris (Sirch) will be along shortly with a how to he created a while ago :thumbup:
Well remembered Kev :thumbup: The only problem was I had to find the photo's to post up again, as they were no longer being hosted.
MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:12 am Elbow grease...mainly... :lol:
:lol: That's about right :wink:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

___Norwegian___ wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:43 pm Yeah....how to get em shiny...any tricks?
I have now re-added the main photo's, I had to dig deep to find them :lol:

The main thing is you can get them shiny, but very shortly after running the bike they will turn a Goldie colour. I quite like it myself, but just so you know before hand. I find a wipe over with WD40 helps keeping them in that colour every now and again, when they are cold :thumbup:

Here's the link to how I did mine You can click or tap on the photo's to make it larger:

viewtopic.php?t=7027

You could try the old copper wire trick once polished, I'm not sure if it will work on Stainless Steel, but worth a try if you prefer the shinier chrome look rather than the Goldie colour:
viewtopic.php?p=461179#p461179

Chris.
___Norwegian___

Been trying sandpaper, 120 this weekend. Rather rough, but got them shiny, but with some scratches. Im gonna buy 200 and 400 paper and as someone said here, use WD40 afther a ride.
___Norwegian___

sirch345 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm
___Norwegian___ wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:43 pm Yeah....how to get em shiny...any tricks?

The main thing is you can get them shiny, but very shortly after running the bike they will turn a Goldie colour. I quite like it myself, but just so you know before hand. I find a wipe over with WD40 helps keeping them in that colour every now and again, when they are cold :thumbup:

Here's the link to how I did mine You can click or tap on the photo's to make it larger:

viewtopic.php?t=7027

You could try the old copper wire trick once polished, I'm not sure if it will work on Stainless Steel, but worth a try if you prefer the shinier chrome look rather than the Goldie colour:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

___Norwegian___ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm Been trying sandpaper, 120 this weekend. Rather rough, but got them shiny, but with some scratches. Im gonna buy 200 and 400 paper and as someone said here, use WD40 afther a ride.
At least you have made a start :thumbup:

Worth trying that copper wire trick if you want them to stay chrome like shiny,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

viewtopic.php?t=7027

Chris.
chris i tried the copper wire trick and it does slow down the change back to orange?brown :thumbup: wont stop it but slows it down.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:57 pm

viewtopic.php?t=7027

Chris.
chris i tried the copper wire trick and it does slow down the change back to orange?brown :thumbup: wont stop it but slows it down.
Rob, you're right.
I did it on my Suzuki GSThou Piper 4 into1 pipe many moons ago although that was chromed, but as you say it certainly slows it down if not stopping it :thumbup:

Chris.
___Norwegian___

viewtopic.php?t=7027

Chris.