lights on all the time

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
northmanuk

lights on all the time

Post by northmanuk »

hi all is there any way to switch of lights by way of a switch i dont want them on all the time ,i think im one of those who dont want to be forced to have a choice of actions forced on them
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
MacV2

Re: lights on all the time

Post by MacV2 »

northmanuk wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:36 am hi all is there any way to switch of lights by way of a switch i dont want them on all the time ,i think im one of those who dont want to be forced to have a choice of actions forced on them
Standard UK Bikes have turnoffable lights... A 3 way switch thats off/sidelight only/dipped.

Franks Ride-crop.jpg
Franks Ride-crop.jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

If your lefthand switch gear looks like this...
US 1.jpg
Your bike must be an import as there is just a rocker switch dipped on perm/full beam.

Some markets are required to run with dipped on perm.

Trust me I've looked & the plugs are diffrent so not plug & play...Thats not to say it cant be rewired.

Personaly I like a choice as well & my choice is to run with the the dipped on all the time, helps myopic drivers see you so a no brainer really...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Depends on the year of your bike. All post facelift bikes have lights permanently on. I tried an early set of switch gear on my 2003 Storm when I first bought it. Doesn’t work as a plug and play option. May well be something you could experiment with but I decided I wasn’t that worried, so my lights are on all the time with the ignition. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

I wondered when someone would say that Wilson..............
yes 2003 model has lights on all the time the only reason i want to turn them out is if battery gets low its draing a lot of power.

guess you just follow main feed back cut in and splice a switch in then drill hole in fairing and mount flick switch i just wonderd if there was a tidy way to do this ( God after looking at the bike for two weeks and all i could find wrong was this lol)

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:32 pm Depends on the year of your bike. All post facelift bikes have lights permanently on. I tried an early set of switch gear on my 2003 Storm when I first bought it. Doesn’t work as a plug and play option. May well be something you could experiment with but I decided I wasn’t that worried, so my lights are on all the time with the ignition. :thumbup:
Nue Red '03 has a normal switch the pic I posted up of the 3 way switch is Nue Red...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That’s interesting mate? This has come up on here before and my understanding was as I said, it was a post face lift change. Obviously the bikes we’re talking about are too late to have been part of the whole parallel import saga. Be interesting to see how many are hard wired and how many switchable post 2001.
As an aside my left hand switchgear is exactly the same as Nue Reds in layout and function, just the on off switch is a plain panel! :thumbup:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:59 am That’s interesting mate? This has come up on here before and my understanding was as I said, it was a post face lift change. Obviously the bikes we’re talking about are too late to have been part of the whole parallel import saga. Be interesting to see how many are hard wired and how many switchable post 2001.
As an aside my left hand switchgear is exactly the same as Nue Reds in layout and function, just the on off switch is a plain panel! :thumbup:
What like this one...
US 1.jpg
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The other factor is maybe bikes in The Republic of Europe had the perm dipped switch on them...

We need some of our foreign corespondants to post up pic's of their switchgear...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

In the US the headlight on all the time has been law for many years so our switch gear is the simple unit with high & low beam only :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Here’s a picture of the light switch on my 03 F3 StormImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I like to ride in daylight with my lights on in a bid to possibly be more visible to other road users (as some have already said), however I also like to start my bike with the lights off, so I'm glad I have the option.

It has to be better for starting the bike without the headlight drawing power from the battery at the same time,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 pm I like to ride in daylight with my lights on in a bid to possibly be more visible to other road users (as some have already said), however I also like to start my bike with the lights off, so I'm glad I have the option.

It has to be better for starting the bike without the headlight drawing power from the battery at the same time,

Chris.
The way they get around the headlight issue, at least in the US, is that they have a headlight disconnect on the starter button. Hit the button and the headlight turns off until the button is released. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 pm I like to ride in daylight with my lights on in a bid to possibly be more visible to other road users (as some have already said), however I also like to start my bike with the lights off, so I'm glad I have the option.

Chris.
Not always the best solution- one of the only drawbacks with lithium batteries is that they need to "warm up" before full current is available, especially in cold weather.
Having the headlight in for a minute or two does the trick.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm Here’s a picture of the light switch on my 03 F3 StormImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK well thats another different one then ! Weird ...much like the blob of hooman sitting on the bike... :wink:
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

bang on Kev L exactly like my bike blue 03 f3
i have original shipping order from brit shop and hpi both state non imported
my understanding is from a certain point in 2003 this was done for cheapness all bike across field ,lights on.
I am just going to get someone to put an inline switch in the wiring and mount it by the clocks until the i will leave as is

:P also the bike is lighter and faster than those with the 3 position switch :D also could take out bulb i only ride in the daylight lol