Battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rob

Battery

Post by Rob »

Posting here because I can't be arsed with Google right now.

My Firestorm has been idle for about 8 years but I want to get her going again.

Going to make the assumption that I will need a new battery.... :lol:

So what do you recommend? Normal sealed acid, lithium? There have been changes in 8 years.

If anyone can be helpful and give part numbers or battery specifications/dimensions that would be very helpful. Thank you.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
DJWALKER

Re: Battery

Post by DJWALKER »

Hi rob I recently bought a lithium battery on line from two tyres , its German made cost 100 quid weighs 900g about 4kg lighter than the one it replaced. It fires up my storm with ease I have moriwaki hi comp pistons and re profiled cams so its a lot of compression turn . I couldn't believe the lack of weight against the old one.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

At the other end I purchased a Motobatt MBTX12U works a treat.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... t/mbtx12u/
Storming About :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Been using these for some time... Out last mottobatt, normal charger unlike the lithium. Good price higher CCA than a normal YTX. Next day delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251666124071
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Rob

Post by Rob »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:59 am Been using these for some time... Out last mottobatt, normal charger unlike the lithium. Good price higher CCA than a normal YTX. Next day delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251666124071
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with one of these I think, cheaper than I expected! Fancy a Lithium but got to admit I hadn't thought about a charger so that route is a little expensive, maybe in the future!
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rob, Probably a bit late to the party :lol:
I went with the taller bigger amp battery in the end, although OEM make "Yuasa".

With it being 15mm taller you need to unclip and remove part of the battery box which holds the lid so it fits, as I have done:
The bigger battery gives more cranking amps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362346202550 ... Swucxh~F8Q

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

DJWALKER wrote:Hi rob I recently bought a lithium battery on line from two tyres , its German made cost 100 quid weighs 900g about 4kg lighter than the one it replaced. It fires up my storm with ease I have moriwaki hi comp pistons and re profiled cams so its a lot of compression turn . I couldn't believe the lack of weight against the old one.
The lithium batteries are so light they feel empty. But you do need a dedicated Li charger which adds to total cost.
No bike (yet).
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You can use a Deltran battery tender to charge up a lithium battery. You just need to make sure you disconnect it when the battery reaches full charge. Found this out when I recently purchased a new , proper size, Li battery. Here in the states they are shipped with minimal charge on them for "safety".

The paperwork with the battery stated that the Deltran unit was acceptable, again as long as you don't just leave it unattended. :thumbup:

Though with all that, after years of use and running a battery that was too small, I have never had a Li battery go flat :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agree. Although lithiums often sound as though they will not start the engine first stab of the button, especially when it's cold, unlike a standard battery, they get stronger each time you try them.

The main advantage for me is that they hold their charge for months at a time without having to have a tender plugged in- unless you have an alarm or some other parasitic device fitted.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.