Maiden voyage problems.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alanfjones1411

Re: Maiden voyage problems.

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Turn the idle up to 1100/1200 rpm.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Maiden voyage problems.

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:04 pm
sirch345 wrote:
LewisB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:49 am So after a little more thought and research, I’m thinking of trying a new used CDI, I will see if I can test mine first, but anyone know if all years were interchangeable? My bikes a 2002 :)
Cheers
I think I'm right in saying the later bikes like yours with the HISS ignition system have a different CDI unit to the earlier bikes.
I'm sure someone who definitely knows will be along shortly to confirm :eh:

Chris
Thank you Chris, saves me finding out the hard way. I went for a lovely long ride the other day and the 2.5k stumble wasn’t as big of an issue I thought it was going to be. What got me quite a few times was stalling at idle. And the fumbling of getting to neural as it won’t start with just the clutch in. Thought this might be a faulty clutch switch but I took it off to test and it works as it should, so I’ll have to dig a little deeper into that!
I did check the part numbers for the earlier and later bikes before committing myself :lol:
The CDI part numbers are different, so sort of confirms what I said above.

The Haynes manual doesn't have a test in it for the CDI unit unfortunately.

Good to hear the stumble didn't appear to be such an issue this time out, long may it continue.
Mine will start with the clutch lever pulled while it's in gear, but that may be due to the talking alarm/immobiliser I fitted (how it's wired in), or that it's the earlier 16ltr tank version.

Chris.