Small bike suggestions

General Bike chat
masterdave

Small bike suggestions

Post by masterdave »

So my health has deteriorated hugely lately which means I can no longer ride, but I'm determined to get back on a bike at some point and want to get something smaller to enjoy. Thinking along the lines of a ninja 250, or a 2 stroke 125. Something sporty and fun to ride, just needs to be light! Any ideas?
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Small bike suggestions

Post by sirch345 »

I can't vouch for this make/model of motorcycle personally, but I know of a guy who was in a similar position to you who needed a smaller lighter bike.
He got himself a KTM 390 Duke and is very happy with it,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Yeah those 390s are very light but they can go :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

I'd absolutely love a 390 but my budget doesn't stretch to a new one and I've heard a lot of horror stories about reliability for them. I have ridden one and adored it, but unfortunately I can't take the gamble with it being an expensive fix!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

masterdave wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:41 pm I'd absolutely love a 390 but my budget doesn't stretch to a new one and I've heard a lot of horror stories about reliability for them. I have ridden one and adored it, but unfortunately I can't take the gamble with it being an expensive fix!
Fair comment, you have to stick with your budget for sure, also you don't want something that could be a money pit.
Probably best to stick with one of the big four from Japan as we know they are normally reliable and well built.

Anyone else with any suggestions :?: :?: :?: :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycles site to get some ideas. Almost anything 2 stroke will probably be above budget, sadly.
Also, you could advertise in a local parish or area mag, asking for a non runner or barn find. You'd be surprised at what wives are willing to give away for free to stop their husband dreaming of getting it going and going off riding again!

They're usually easy to fix up, especially if you don't want it to end up a show or concourse bog standard model. Forks, for instance, almost any front end will do the job if it's around the same length and yoke diameter, even from a different make.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Decided on a ninja 250, small and light and reliable, and I can get a relatively new one for my budget!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

masterdave wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:00 pm Decided on a ninja 250, small and light and reliable, and I can get a relatively new one for my budget!

You can relax a little now, after having made a decision 👍

Chris.