Charging prob.

General Bike chat
lumpyv

Charging prob.

Post by lumpyv »

Hello everybody.

About 10 years ago I had a fairly typical reg rec fail but was lucky, no damage to the wiring👍

Got myself a new one off a cg125 iirc (does that sound right?). All has been well although I did need a new battery about 4/5 years ago.

So anyway I don't use stormy a lot these days but if I can get it going it has never failed once it's warmed up, untill about a week ago when it did. I rode it 3 miles to get petrol left the garage drove another 2 miles stopped it, went to start it, battery dead as mutton 🙁. I got a friendly local garage to jump me with a portable battery thing and drove home.

So my question is with the bike ticking over, am I right in thinking a meter across + and - should measure about 14v??. The reg/rec doesn't look /smell fried or anything. Is there any other tests you can do on them

Just to further piss me off I dropped my trickle onto the concrete floor of my garage and broke that, but a new one is en-route
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Charging prob.

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Lumpyv, good to hear from you again 👍👍

I have heard of a cg125 rec/reg being used before, it may have even been you :lol:

Have a read of this link below, it seems possible to have a good reading at the battery terminals like you have at just over 14 volts, but still have a fault with the rec/reg:
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 18#p505617

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Thanks Chris, yes what with one thing and another I've been off riding big bikes for a bit but I'm still about. 😀.
The cg125 thing I got off here I'm sure. The new charger has arrived so I will have a poke about Friday. It's going to rain a lot I think so I'm in no rush to get it out of the garage!
I'll have a look at the link in the meantime. 👍 👍
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Oh and BTW I don't think I did have 14v across terminals..
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Go Mosfett. Wont be plug & play but not hard to rewire. The CG ones are ok but still prone to fail as old tech...

There's a bloke on FB who's doing Mosfett kits now Matt Bikes (?) Bit £ IMO but hey you pays your money... I go for BMW S1000r ones up to £50 they do come up on ebay... He's taken over from Eric Marques who was doing them but based in the US. He stopped shipping due to some issues with the shipping abroad.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lumpyv wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:39 pm Oh and BTW I don't think I did have 14v across terminals..
IIRC the workshop manual says the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running and lights off (only possible on the earlier 16ltr fuel tank models) of 13.5V to 15.5Volts. As Mac says a MOSFET rec/reg would be the best way to go for reliability and peace of mind. have a MOSFET rec/reg I fitted to my bike some years ago, I get 14.4 volts at the battery with engine running and lights off.

Here's a photo of a MOSFET rec/reg courtesy of our late friend Wicky taken from this link: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 82#p351482

If you decide to go the Ebay route watch out for Chinese copies of MOSFET rec/reg's, these will be really cheap so not hard to spot, but beware of these,

Chris.