Removing/replacing undertray

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yellabell

Removing/replacing undertray

Post by yellabell »

I want to fit a standard undertray in place of one that's been cut down & butchered. I've got a new old stock tray & managed to find an unmolested rear seat fairing, my old one had flush mount indicators fitted. What's involved to carry this out with minimal disruption. It looks straightforward, I did have a quick scan through to see if there was a guide but can't seem to find anything. Cheers
tony.mon

Re: Removing/replacing undertray

Post by tony.mon »

You also need the brackets to suit the std under tray, assuming that the aftermarket one required non standard brackets.
Then it's a simple process: unbolt the required sump bolts, bolt up the standard brackets, and fit the tray.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Cheers, I'm hoping I've got the brackets. It's an oem tray that someone cut short, chopping off the numberplate end and the area where the oem indicators mount. I'll have a shufty when I get home.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take off the seat plastics,

Remove any indicators.

Remove the battery.

Take a good look at were the loom goes. Take pictures...

There are 2 nut & bolts that hold it to the subframe at the back, as standard there should be dome nuts on them. Remove both.

There are no more fixings to remove.

About halfway along the lower subframe rail the undertray clips on, ping those off each side.

Now its just clipped on to the cross rail at the front under the battery box, you need to whack it up to get it off, rubber mallet is best.

It's highly likely that the cross member is rusty so it might put up a fight. Once it's off get that cross member as clean as poss. Wire wheel on a drill is best bet. Once clean put some grease on it. It'll help getting it back on & might keep the rust at bay for a bit.

RE fit in reverse as above.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 am You also need the brackets to suit the std under tray, assuming that the aftermarket one required non standard brackets.
Then it's a simple process: unbolt the required sump bolts, bolt up the standard brackets, and fit the tray.
Me thinks your thinking belly pan ?

Yellabelly is talking about the under seat undertray...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:40 pm
tony.mon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 am You also need the brackets to suit the std under tray, assuming that the aftermarket one required non standard brackets.

I thought the same :eh:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 pm Take off the seat plastics,

Remove any indicators.

Remove the battery.

There are 2 nut & bolts that hold it to the subframe at the back, as standard there should be dome nuts on them. Remove both.

About halfway along the lower subframe rail the undertray clips on, ping those off each side.

Now its just clipped on to the cross rail at the front under the battery box, you need to whack it up to get it off, rubber mallet is best.

It's highly likely that the cross member is rusty so it might put up a fight. Once it's off get that cross member as clean as poss. Wire wheel on a drill is best bet. Once clean put some grease on it. It'll help getting it back on & might keep the rust at bay for a bit.

Anyone would think you do this on a regular basis Mac :lol: :lol:

An excellent guide :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:40 pm

I thought the same :eh:

Chris.
I was...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:44 pm

Chris.
I've done a few Chris it is true... :lol: :lol:
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

sirch345 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:44 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 pm Take off the seat plastics,

Remove any indicators.

Remove the battery.

Chris.
Cheers Mac, done it today. I've been wanting to put this undertray on for ages and put the original indicators back on. Really helpful.