What temp does the fan turn on?

General Bike chat
Binks

What temp does the fan turn on?

Post by Binks »

Hello,

Just got a VTR and found it gets quite hot, especially in traffic, it didn't get into the red, more like the line just before, but the radiator fan didn't kick in. Is this healthy or does I need to investigate?

Also, how easy is it to physically change a Kph speedo over to a Mph/Kph speedo and does anyone know how much one is?

Ta, Simon.
Binks

Post by Binks »

Ok, so I should have looked harder at previous posts. From the sounds of it my fan should have come on.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My fan comes on at 104/5 degreees and temp quickly drops to around 99. Need to be cruising above 80kph for the airflow to kick in, then it stays around the high eighties, low nineties, depending on ambient temperature.
Regards, Squirrel.
nobby50

fans

Post by nobby50 »

i run my 98 storm with no fan at all.it never runs hot,even though its thrashed everywhere round scotland.[must be the cold weather up here] :twisted: :P
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I can only guess that you don't do much commuting on the bike then cause it really heats up while stationary and I'm up here in Aberfreeze!
zine

Re: What temp does the fan turn on?

Post by zine »

My fan kicks in when the needle hits the half way mark ... usually when i'm in traffic

check the fuse first if ok, then I'd have it looked at as you don't want to damage your engine.

Binks wrote:Hello,

Just got a VTR and found it gets quite hot, especially in traffic, it didn't get into the red, more like the line just before, but the radiator fan didn't kick in. Is this healthy or does I need to investigate?

Also, how easy is it to physically change a Kph speedo over to a Mph/Kph speedo and does anyone know how much one is?

Ta, Simon.
Binks

Post by Binks »

Thanks for the info, only got the bike last weekend, and kinda assumed that thinks like the coolant system would be full, this being the problem. Replaced the whole system and it hardly gets warm, just up to the half way mark.

Thanks again.

Simon.