raise back end or drop front end?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
xxxrated

raise back end or drop front end?

Post by xxxrated »

not sure what to do really, i want to improve the turn in speed on my firestorm but dont know if it would be better to raise the butt end by fitting a 5mm spacer or dropping the forks through the yokes about 5mm.
i can touch the floor no probs so raising the butt end wont cause me any problems im just wondering if 1 or the other is better and why?
also i had new tyres on the bike when i had it and ive now scrubbed in the back tyre pretty much fully but the front still has plenty of untouched tread on it. will doing either of the above allow the front tyre to be used more?
bluesman

Re: raise back end or drop front end?

Post by bluesman »

xxxrated wrote:not sure what to do really, i want to improve the turn in speed on my firestorm but dont know if it would be better to raise the butt end by fitting a 5mm spacer or dropping the forks through the yokes about 5mm.
i can touch the floor no probs so raising the butt end wont cause me any problems im just wondering if 1 or the other is better and why?
also i had new tyres on the bike when i had it and ive now scrubbed in the back tyre pretty much fully but the front still has plenty of untouched tread on it. will doing either of the above allow the front tyre to be used more?
I have raised rear on mine, since most of publications on Inet about it suggests that way....thou I changed shock absorber to all-adjustable Wilbers, so I did not use any spacers.
It has certanly improved steering speed, thou when I loaded my gear on pillion seat for touring I almost got back to usual height :) so had to re-adjust.
Check this site out - good advice there
http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Dropped the yokes 8mm on mine as I didn't want any more seat height at 5' 7" (and a half). Turns in fine now.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Mine had a 6mm spacer on the rear.
If you drop the forks you will REDUCE the already pitiful ground clearance

I actually had 3 x 2mm spacers made up to this design

That way you can experiment at the side of the road
You can loosen the top shock mount,
pull the bike towards you on the side stand,
add/remove spacers,
Re-tighten shock. 3 minutes max!

Ben
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Raised the rear :P
Went the spacer route same as Ben with a bit of 4mm ally plate. Not a drastic difference but improves turn in and flick ability :twisted:

Pete.l
bluesman

interesting

Post by bluesman »

It's interesting - in my case I actualy raised ground clearance on both front and rear...
Since I have installed all-way-progressive and no-spacers (longer) fork springs and oil from Hyperpro, front went up a bit. Then I put Wilbers rear shock, and since it is adjustable I raised rear first to stock geometry, and than tad more, so got more agressive geometry. But as result I got actually more ground clearance than if I'd just raised rear...
As result bike way more flickable, and still - I haven't lost any high-speed stability.
I think suspension is most worthy upgrade on Storm, but generally it's kinda habit - I had done same on all bikes I owned after month-two of riding them. And best result so far returned on Hornet 600 and on Storm, amazing difference in handling and comfort.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

cheers guys, think im gonna go for the butt end raise. what is the best material to have the spacers made out of. gonna get a 5mm thick spacer made
Max

Post by Max »

Be careful raising the back end if you are a bit heavy(like what I is) as the standard front forks bottom out a lot more with the extra weigt on them. They are not good as it comes, I found that when I had a 5mm spacer in then on bumpy roads it could cause interesting effects. I'm all Rogered up now so my Storm feels great, when I rang him to arrange my Rogering he reckoned with my weight (17-18 stone) with std forks that a spacer was dangerous.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Max wrote:Be careful raising the back end if you are a bit heavy(like what I is) as the standard front forks bottom out a lot more with the extra weigt on them. They are not good as it comes, I found that when I had a 5mm spacer in then on bumpy roads it could cause interesting effects. I'm all Rogered up now so my Storm feels great, when I rang him to arrange my Rogering he reckoned with my weight (17-18 stone) with std forks that a spacer was dangerous.
Good advice Max :!:

I've heard Roger (Revolution Racing) also say altering the standard suspension (IE. lowering the front or raising the rear) could make the bike dangerous, I think the majority of riders who have done that have non standard suspension :!:

The best solution before you start messing would be to give Roger a bell (07970 915259) rather than wish you had done, when its to late!

Chris.
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

ahhhh maybe id be better leaving it till i get round to the suspensions then. does anyone know what make the stock rear shock is?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

xxxrated wrote:ahhhh maybe id be better leaving it till i get round to the suspensions then. does anyone know what make the stock rear shock is?
I think its a Showa but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

Chris.
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

sirch345 wrote:
xxxrated wrote:ahhhh maybe id be better leaving it till i get round to the suspensions then. does anyone know what make the stock rear shock is?
I think its a Showa but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

Chris.
ye thats what mine is, just wasnt sure if that was the stock shock or not
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

right im off out tomorow for tidy ride so i want to drop the yokes a bit just to see if it makes it better for me. is it just a case of undoing these bolts and moving it all down a bit:

xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

all sorted now, dropped it 8mm in the end and although i didnt give it a tidy test it definetly feels a lot more responsive.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just go steady with any hard brakiing and high speed corners and I'm sur e it will be fine once you get the feel for it. Forcast looks good for Sunday. Enjoy.
Pete.l