Boys on the bridge.

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
meintjiesj

Boys on the bridge.

Post by meintjiesj »

Friday on my way down to Rodger on the M74, late as usual I was doing about 90 in the left hand lane. Just before a bridge I was giving the live saver to move out from behind some slow trucks, as I looked up I saw them on the bridge about 300 meter away. Will thye have spotted me. There was a car in the outside lane about the same speed as me. I've heard stories that thye can turn around in the van and take a photo from behind and even if you were in the limit by that time thye can still nick you for the front shot. Also how far away can thye pick you up from on a position like a bridge?

Also what are these blue cameras on large poles or bidges in the Lake district? Do thye take average speeds and can thye also nick you?
dookie

Post by dookie »

Seeing as how the plod never tested speed cameras on bikes in the first place m8 i worry if anyone caught speeding on a bike was ever nicked correctly 8O
There was a time i used to care
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Blue cameras!

They are part of the traffic watch scheme for the trafic reports on the tv and radio, nothing to do with knicking you at all
meintjiesj

Post by meintjiesj »

Thanks, one less thing to worry. Was getting a bit fast last night after spending a few hours in the Lake District Saturday traffic doing 20 miles an hour in the 60 zones. Isn't there a law against that also - When I did my advance cource thye said you ride at 60, if you want to see the scenery go on a coach tour.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Blue cameras (sometimes green) as Fireman said mainly report on traffic problems. Though you find them at accident spots too to keep an eye out on quieter bits where phones are non existant.

Cops on bridges are usually looking for someone specific or working in conjunction with a patrol further down. Chances are very good that if you didn't get pulled by the pursuit unit stationed further down the motorway, then you'll be fine.

As always with the police and speed checks, nothing is guaranteed though. As you weren't doing more than 20mph over the limit (in which case you'd defo get pulled and summonsed on the spot if they come after you) worst case should be a fixed penalty NIP. This has to arrive within 28 days of the offence, so chill, bide your time and remember where they were for next time.

*edit* as for minimum speed, it's not an offence to go too slowly. All of us would agree that this can be equally dangerous, and the police will pull people to offer advice if they see a potential danger. Very rarely, you might get a minimum speed limit enforced on a section of road (usually roadworks or contraflows) but these will be signposted.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
meintjiesj

Post by meintjiesj »

Thanks for that advice Kitch. Now that you mention it I did see a patrol car come down on of the off ramps and went after a white van that came flying past me further down the road. I thought I was breaking the rules. Strange thing is that I think the van man saw it coming because not long after the patrol car came past me the van man came past me again. Must have hopped off some where and hopped on again down the road.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Thought all motorways had a mandatory minimum speed limit ? 20 mph rings a bell ? :roll:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

There's no legal minimum enforced limit. Certain slow moving vehicles are restricted from using certain roads because they cause a hazard, and the police could pull you for dangerous driving or casuing an obstruction.

If you see a speed sign on a blue background with white numbers, that's a minimum speed limit. You tend to find these at the entrance to tunnels.

Police have been known to tell people that there is a minimum speed limit on the motorway (reports vary from 20mph to 30mph) but this isn't actually law and is probably just the officer saying it to make sure the person in question gets the point.

*edit,* found an actual one as an example:

CLICKY
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

had an intresting one last week:

He was just standing on the bridge whatching the traffic and his mate was doing the same on the opposite side....wtf! (south bound on the m20)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I'd say they were looking for someone specific, or just chilling on break...
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Stormeruk wrote:probably gobbing on trucks...........
:lol: LOL :lol:
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!