VTR vs VFR ?

General Bike chat
CaperJ

VTR vs VFR ?

Post by CaperJ »

Anyone tried it or have any imput on the VTR vs a VFR my buddy has a VFR800 and talks a lot about the VFR. What do you guys think.

CaperJ :twisted:
DD

Good question

Post by DD »

Good question as I'm thinking of trading in my 97 Moto Guzzi 1100inj sport. I'm thinking of eather a new VTR or a early 2000 VFR800. The VFR is no dout the flagship of the sport tourers for Honda. A very sweet bike in all aspects perfect for touring. However its a four and I'd be fairly sure that I'd miss the twin thing cos fours belong in cars right?
So any one had both to compair?
cheers Darryl
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I have riden the vfr800 and Vtec. Both are good bikes
But I have got the Firestorm and can't see me going back to a 4 for a long time. You can't beet the V twin smile.
If you are not sure what to buy why not wait for the new storm in 2004
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

I have ridden A Guzzi 1100 inj sport, and both bikes will seem very different, however you are right about the v-twin thing,
the firestorm will still have some of the 'vibe' given by the engine design, (although bits don't fall off unlike the guzzi I tried!!!!) & the sheer grunt off the throttle when pulling away.

Phil.
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
delmeekc

Grunt

Post by delmeekc »

Grunt, Grunt, your joking, I had to buy a VTX1800 a little while ago and that's got what I would call grunt. Thumps like and pulls like a train, not much vibe either. It'll pull up any hill in top at 30mph, that's at 1200rpm.

Del.
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Del m8, compared tp the vfr... ok!

anyway cruiser boy, get a real one, get a harley :wink:
if ya want a lump of lard that doesn't handle, with a car engine in it :!:

:lol: :lol: only teasin m8
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
delmeekc

yeah yeah real me in.

Post by delmeekc »

Bloody Harley, insult, it'll suck em in the airbox, pulls way harder than the storm and goes round corners too, well the footpegs are getting smaller each day.

Didn't want it but had to buy it and it's really wierd but I am enjoying riding it now. The engine is made to look old with fins on the heads/barrels to look like it's air cooled but it's actually a really modern watercooled Vtwin with a split crank and offset big ends.
Anyway only defending it, gonna rip the crank out when it gets really cold (Christmas time) and get it all balanced up because I just can't leave it alone and I'm sure mr honda made it unbalanced so it would appeal to the Harley market, dooh.

Del. (Cruiser Boy - get away - wot about me street fighter storm, sob sob)
philm

vtr versus vfr

Post by philm »

CaperJ
i have had the experience of both bikes in the last 9 months or so.
I bought a new vtr 1000 in 1997[red of course]and i kept this bike for 5
years.Had all the usual after market stuff on it i.e. staintune pipes,corbin
seat, dark tint screen,lower fairing, carbon bits and pieces etc. I really
loved that bike but after having it for 5 years decided it wea time for a change.
So I traded it in on a new Vfr Vtec last June.Fitted staintune pipes,nws hugger etc.but i found after it was run in, it wasnt giving me the same
kicks that I had enjoyed on the vtr.You seemed to be constanly changing gears to get it to move out a bit.Certainly not the instant grunt or acceleration that my previous vtr had.Sure it was a tad more comfortable
on a long ride and the fuel consumption was easier to live with than the vtr
but it just didnt do it for me!So after approx 6 months I retraded it[at great expense to me]on another new vtr,this time blue.
The vtec is a load of rubbish,as in normal riding around town its lose license speed before the second lot of valves cut in at 7000rpm.Just not practical.
If you want a further confirmation just log onto the U.K. honda vfr club at
honda vfr club.org.There is a considerable mix of opinions on the vtec there.Also they have discovered that on one service for the vtec the cost is going to be approx 900uk as basically the engine has to be removed to get at the valve adjustment etc.I certainly wouldnt trust the local "technicians" to do a job like that on my bike.This was another reason I parted with the bike.Hope this is some help.
The vtec is still a good bike but i think its "horses for courses" and i prefer the good ol' vtr.One thing I think with bikes is that you shud never go down in power after you have been used to say a 1000cc machine,it never seems to be a satifying solution.
I have posted a small pic of my vfr in the misc.section along with previous pics of my new vtr
Regards philm
Perth Western Australia
philm/Stormboy
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Did a bit of direct access traing yesterday, and had a VFR800 as my instructor bike for the day.

The vfr was ok did everything i wanted to. Stopped went came back ETC.

But when it came to getting back on the Firestorm to come home, it made me realise how good and how much fun the Storm is!
davey_n

VFR vs VTR

Post by davey_n »

Owned a VFR 800 for three and a half years, changed to a new 'storm in March.

Didn't fancy the new VTEC as its a bit ugleeee....

VFR - superbly comfortable, more than quick enough, great sound - especially higher up the rev range, reliable - ish (head bearings suspect/ungreased from new, recifier/battery likes to spit the dummy out)
Glad I didn't get the new VTEC due to servicing costs @16k.

VTR - a bit quicker steering - It seems to drop into corners easier. The bike seems slower but it isn't - its a V twin thing. Shame the speedo is difficult to read as it's easy to be doing 75+ in a 50 and the motor makes it feel like 40...Practice saying 'Sorry Officer....'
The bike is as comfy as the VFR if a little more tucked, more stops for fuel but not as bad as the press might let you believe.

This may be a bit sad but I'd always fancied a Firestorm, the VFR was red and the only 'storms that looked good to me until '02 were early silver, yellow and red. The bike has been released in some weird colours -(sorry owners) but I couldn't bring myself to like the orange, navy blue etc. Black looks great, but shows dirt (+ not as visible?) I didn't want to buy red as it would have been too similar to my old bike.

The new bike is metallic blue (Candy blue metallic?) and I reckon it's the best colour in years. However, each to his own.
Regarding your predicament, I think it's all down to how many rides of 200 miles plus you do a year; if you go to the Alps regularly, maybe have a frequent pillion then the VFR is the more sensible option. If you enjoy 100 mile blasts on a summer evening, then the VTR is far more fun. You pays your money...