Dropping Forks through a little ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thetyrant

Dropping Forks through a little ?

Post by thetyrant »

HI all, i was wondering has anyone tried dropping the forks through the yolks a little...say 5mm... to quicken up the steering a bit...ive heard that fitting blade forks as well as massivly improving things also lowers front 30mm ??....so i was wondering if dropping the stds through a bit would give a benfit ?

Also im quite short and can only just touch down on tiptoes so a few mill less seat height would help.

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

This mod does the same as raising you rear ride hight(spacer on shock)the only thing is you will lose ground clearance and as the storm is poor on that front I would have to suck it and see my self.If you go ahead let us know the out come as raising the rear is a no no for me as Im a short butt.
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

OK i will give it a try and see what its like....havent had anything touch down on my storm so far...whats first the pegs ?
I too cant raise the rear as i wouldnt be able to touch the ground either..eeek

Cheers

Ian

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

I did it to my last storm which was pretty much standard. The result was a much better turn in without it becoming unstable. I rode the bike fairly quick on road and on track days with no probs
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Blackstorm : How much did you drop them through ?...also is that you selling the hugger on ebay ?

Cheers

Ian

blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Hi Tyrant.
I dropped the front 5mm which worked well. I found it really improved the ride on track and road but a guy called Roger who runs a company called Revolution has quite a few entries on the MCN website for storms and he seems to dissaprove of this mod. .As I say it worked for me. My current storm hasa 5mm spacer over the rear suspension and I havent done anything with the front end again this seems to work well for me My curent storm has Ohlins front and rear so Im not sure how much difference that would make over the standard. My advice would be to try adjusting one end or the other in small increments and see how it feels. My experience has been that you can listen to everyone else but ultimatly its what works for you that matters. Good luck
P.S. Not me on ebay
Teamslug

Forks!

Post by Teamslug »

I have pulled the forks through the top yoke so i now have 12mm of fork leg showing this improved things no end turns a lot quicker that and fitting 207rr turns a treat now, doesnt make it an R6 but it helps.
I ride hard on the road and have never had any problems with anything touching down,but best of all its free only about 20 mins of your time and a few tools, if you dont like it you can allways change it back i would try 5mm first and see how it feels its all down to personal taste.
But there is a down side my suspension is standard no mods (apart from the PB set up avalible from this site somewere) and as you know Firestorm suspension isnt the best especially the forks, so doing this mod makes the front tyre work harder more wear i only got about 2000 miles from my last front, but personaly i wouldnt change it back, its up to you! :wink:
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Sod it Im doing it this weekend 8O ,got to be worth it and it costs nothing but the skin off my knuckles :lol: .As for only 2000 out of the front when you live in scotland(north of) thats about a summers wear and tear :twisted: ,fair play i say :!:
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Yup im gona get mine dropped through this weekend as well, i was going to do it tonight but the sun was shining and hartside pass beckoned so i went to try and get rid of the chicken strips on my new 207rr's...only 5mm left to get scrubbed now 8O

Cheers

Ian

thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Well....ive started with a 5mm drop on the front.....oh my god its a different bike!

Drops in just about right and flicks up and over to the other side in the twistys like a dream....out cornered my m8 up Hartside ( Superb Twist Road for those that havent heard ) tonight on his RVF400....he isnt the best rider but even he was amazed how much faster i was going than last time we went up..still totally stable as well :lol:

Tempted to try dropping it another 5mm but will do some more testing at the weekend on different road surfaces...might be enough as is.....all i can say is try it guys its free and theres a pretty good chance you are gona like it...if not put it back nothing lost

CHeers

Ian

stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Family up this weekend so I will have to do it next week :x ,oh by the way thetyrant you must be a very busy boy brakes,forks and testing all in one day!! 8O ,I only wish I had the time!! :roll: .
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Tyrant,
Glad it worked out. :D
Be a bit carefull if your going to drop it any more :? . Ive found 5mm to be more than enough and like you was really pleased with the result. Any more and you can trade off cornering for stability in a straight line. especially getting on the gas out of a bend you end up losing what youve gained by being unable to power out of the corner as the bars will be more inclined to tank slap :oops: . If you do decide to drop it any more a couple of mill at a time will be more than enough. :wink:
Phil
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Hehe...busy...yer you could say...gota make the most of the few hours im not in work 8O.

Think i am gona leave it at 5mm for now.. seems flickable enough after some more testing thorugh the lakes yesterday :D....think next step is gona be a softer rear spring from maxton..anybody had one of these fitted or fitted it themselves?? and maybe some new fork spings & oil any recomendations ?

Cheers guys good to see a little more activity on this forum.

Ian

stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Yep I agree,but its still not as busy as you :!: :!: :wink: .
Vstormer

dropping fork legs

Post by Vstormer »

Do the bars drop down the forks as well???? :?:
Do you just undo top and bottom pinch bolts and lower 5mm and retighten? :?: :confused